TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thomas Town Opening

Welcome back to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom for another park update.

Nice new red flowers, except they'd be much nicer for Holiday in the Park instead of summer kickoff.

Today was the Thomas Town Opening.

A look at the sign.

And here he comes, Thomas the Tank Engine.

Of course, if Thomas Town opened up 13 years ago, I might of been a little more excited.

But hey, you have to admit, it's pretty cool.

Thomas making his way past Lake Chabot.

This replica of Thomas looks exactly like the real Thomas.

If you stare at him long enough, it really starts to get creepy.

A look inside the station.

Outside the station, some neat signs.

It looks like some video screens will be added throughout Thomas Town.

The roundhouse where all of Thomas' friends are chillin'.

James is glad that kids aren't climbing into him.

Cranky, lol.

Six Flags really went all out on the themeing.

In addition to Thomas the Tank Engine, Harold the Helicopter is another ride in the new kiddie land.

Over at Bertie the Bus, they have this creepy little person.

And there is Bertie the Bus.

And of course Thomas Town wouldn't be complete without Sir Topham Hat.

Ride the rails again soon!

Now over to Odin's Tiger Island which has recently been receiving worldwide attention.

And here is Odin. He wasn't swimming today, which is what normally gets the international media going.

After Odin, we took in the new show at Discovery Kingdom, the Maboomboom African Acrobats.

The crazy jump rope routine.

This would be so much cooler if it was night and they had awesome lighting.

Not a bad show at all, a little slow in pace, but still entertaining.

So, how many people can you carry on your back in this formation?

And that does it for the Thomas Town Opening Day, thanks for checking out this update.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like the whole Thomas thing. Nice to see they put a ride where starfish used to be, to bad its just a Dumbo thing like the whales they already have by Roar. I have to say those stations look pretty nice though. Would also be nice if the other train in the round house were usable... and the round house worked.

I can't believe what is happening to my home park... it's noteworthy.

I am honestly in disbelief. Thomas Town at SFDK turned out much more detailed than I could have ever imagined it would be. I'm surprised this was built at a Six Flags park! Everything looks so well built and thought out. After seeing these photographs, I'm really anxious to see whether Magic Mountain will follow suit within the next few years. It's about time we got a railroad back into the park.

Don't be haters.

Thomas is like crack for toddler/preschool boys - they can't get enough of it! My son is starting to outgrow it, now, but he would have been all over this two years ago. Looks like they did a nice job with it. Sure, they could have done more - you could easily fill a whole park with all of the Sodor Island stuff - but they also could have done a lot less.

BTW, my husband and I were never crazy about watching Thomas with the kids, but we would actually sit down and watch the Wiggles. Their live shows, particularly, are a lot of fun and very well done. You don't have to like it, but, unless you have young children - especially one with a disability, don't be putting it down, because you really can't understand.

Well, not to hate on SFDK, but this is more disappointing than last year's addition with Tava's Jungleland. They added another "crazy bus" type of ride which doesn't make any sense to me. The Harold Helicopter ride look almost identical to Wave Jumper with the lighthouse in the middle. However, the train and the theming look amazing.

The theming in Thomas Town looks great, and the theming looks better then you would expect in the rest of SFDK too, reminds me of Busch Gardens Africa, and from the pictures I've seen of SFDK, it looks almost as good in quality of theming and scenary as BGA.

RollerC: "Do their eyes move? I hope so!"

They sure do, which is seriously creepy.

KGA29: "Well, not to hate on SFDK, but this is more disappointing than last year's addition with Tava's Jungleland. They added another "crazy bus" type of ride which doesn't make any sense to me. The Harold Helicopter ride look almost identical to Wave Jumper with the lighthouse in the middle. However, the train and the theming look amazing."

But the thing is, kids don't know the difference. To them a different ride is a different ride. Now, if they put in another floorless coaster with a different theme, people would be upset.

Oh, and I just finished putting up the larger versions of the photos here.

What are the two new family rides in Thomas Town? Just what SFDK needed. Yet another kiddie section when its already got Looney Tunes Seaport, and Tavas Jungleland. How about another thrilling SFMM type of coaster? Medusa, V2 and Boomerang are the only good coasters at SFDK. Kong is AWFLE. Roar is not very good. I'd rather ride the Grizzly at GA.

I am honestly in disbelief. Thomas Town at SFDK turned out much more detailed than I could have ever imagined it would be. I'm surprised this was built at a Six Flags park! Everything looks so well built and thought out. After seeing these photographs, I'm really anxious to see whether Magic Mountain will follow suit within the next few years. It's about time we got a railroad back into the park.

Mark Shapiro has already confirmed that SFMM will get a Thomas The Tank area in 2008.

Roar is not very good. I'd rather ride the Grizzly at GA.

Are you kidding?...

Anyways, so this New Thomas Town area only has 3 rides? Ehh if it makes the kids happy, but we need something for us already!

I do like the theming though, Nice job Six Flags!

Mark Shapiro has already confirmed that SFMM will get a Thomas The Tank area in 2008.

Uh. Not according to the Quarter 1 Conference Call. He specifically said Magic Mountain will not pursue a Wiggles World or Thomas Town for the 2008 season.