TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

that should upset all the Disneyworld fans!

Why?

I'm reserving judgement until I see and hear more, but as a Disney fan, why would I be upset over this?

Maybe because Universal has the rights to one of the biggest kid-related franchises in recent history and Disney doesn't?

Well we'll just have to see what they do with this b/c if they make it like hogwarts at all some little kids might be a little scared of harry potter. BUT one great thing about harry potter is that kids, teens, and adults all love it.

I'll be sad to see the Enchanted Oak go, if that is it's fate. It is one of my favorite bits of archetucture in the Lost Continent. Hopefully this is what IOA needs to get back up on top and to let Universal know that new rides/attractions=more $$$. I also can't wait to see what Disney does to step up.

I think it would be so cool if they had a B&M flyer like flying in, out, and above the castle or something. That would be REALLY cool i think! I think it also would've been cool if they made a spider-man type ride inside the castle, kinda like darkastle or something. They could theme it up like crazy and that ride would totally own. Only problem is i doubt they would ever do that seeing as they already have spider-man, so oh well. But I agree, a revenge of the mummy ride would be SO cool!

Yes you can compare HP to everything else... and me not being a HP fan (as i frankly just don't understand the dam*ed text)... i think adding HP land is a good move and will undoubtly last throughout the ages... i mean come on.. you don't think that even when the books stop... the fad stops? our kid's kids will be reading harry potter just like i read The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe and The Wizard of Oz as a kid...

seriously now...

Today Show Video

The president of Universal Oralndo did an interview on the Today show and while describing it he mentions restaurants, shops and 3 different atrractions. Assuming they retheme Dragons that only leaves 2 more new attractions to be added.

Was it just me or was Al Roker extremely rude in that clip?

Overall, I do think this is a great buisness desicion by Universal. Just as many people have already said, the Potter books are extremly popular and their legacy will last for quite a while. As a fan of the Potter books, I will just have to get out there in 2010! Good job Universal!

---Brent

The fact that IOA is getting something new of this magnitude is great news no matter how popular Potter ends up being. As great as IOA is, it hasn't really changed since it opened. I will miss Lost Continent, but at least there's something big and new being added. I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but I think the effort and attention to detail put into this project will turn out something really great.

When i First read about this the first thing that came to mind was : B&M Flying Coaster entitled Quiditch. There could be a lot done with that but then i realized that the dragons were already right there. It will be cool to start seeing some plans for this. Being a coasterdork and a Harry potter dork i am quite excited to see how this is all played out

Rumor has it B&M is building a flying coaster somewhere else in Orlando, due to open around the same time as the HP Island...

So the facts. The Lost Continent is truly a special place in IOA since it's not based on a single movie theme, etc.

But the facts are that overall Universal is losing in attendance like crazy because of the many Disney "perks" that keep guests there instead of traveling to Universal.

So Universal needed something BIG and judging from one of the Disney message boards full of die-hard Mouse fanatics, its apparently working as I'm seeing a lot of them saying they've never been to Universal but want to book their vacation right now.

^Although it would be an interesting attraction (interactive dark ride with a few sharp twists and turns, maybe wild mouse), Gringotts is only seriously mentioned in the first book. I mean, sure, it is mentioned in all the others, but not anywhere near as much. I think that they may be aiming for places and events that have happened in several books, like Hogsmead and the Forbidden Forrest.

From what it sounds like, and some of the outlines the members have drawn (and based off of the concept art of the land over view) it looks like we won't be losing much of Lost Continent save Posidon. So I don't think we have to worry.

What if there was a Gringott's Bank dark ride where it was being robbed by dark wizards and you were in those little wagons, so you went out and stopped them?

That would be awesome! Those little wagon things look fun.

The experimental shops sound interesting too. I'm sure they could pull off a lot of illusions in them too.

Maybe take a leaf out of the Quidditch World Cup sequence of Goblet of Fire & have tents/buildings that use forced perspective on the INSIDE to seem much bigger.

Maybe we'll get to have butter beer