TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

I think its a really great Idea. Harry Potter is totally a world of its own, and they have a lot to work with.

Harry Potter = more money = more attractions for the future

in the FAQ's on that website, it said only a *portion* of LC will be gone.

I've never been to "IOA", so I can't comment on where I think the new park should go or how it will effect its surroundings, but I will say that, judging by pictures, "IOA" is breath-taking, and I am quite excited at the prospect of Universal taking the familiar images from the books and movies and bringing them to life.

I'm not really into Harry Potter, I've never read any of the books and have only seen the 3rd and 4th movies (though I will say that the third one did an INCREDIBLE job with a storyline about time-travel), but there's really no denying just how incredible the movies look, and for that, I anxiously await Universal's attempt to put fans into familiar scenes. I have no doubt they will do so with flying colors.

I think this is a case where the execution of the theme will be every bit as important as the theme itself; it doesn't matter if, say, Raptor at "CP" is surrounded by raptor statues, since it is the ride - not the theme - that is the attraction, but it IS important that "IOA" live up to their own standards, since the look of the park is every bit as important as the rides themselves. If it ends-up looking like something out of a 3rd-grade play, people won't return to it, but if it looks as good as the rest of the park, it will draw in the non-Potter fans as well. That's where I fit into the demographic - I'm not a Potter fan, but I would visit to see the beauty of it all.

As for the effect it will have on LC... I really can't add anything specific, since I haven't been there, but I will say that I hope what I've seen in photos isn't disrupted too much. Dueling Dragons already has the whole "dark mythical castle" thing, so I'd guess any work on that would be minimal. Maybe add a few characters within the castle queue itself, but I doubt they'd tear down any of it.

As Happyscrappy mentioned, the first thought that came to me in terms of rides when I saw the announcement was a Boosterbike rethemed to broom-sticks - I have no idea if the Boosterbikes themselves are well-received within the hardcore coaster community, but you can be sure that such a ride in such an area would draw HUGE lines, and, thus, money. What kid isn't gonna want to ride the quiddish (sp?) thing they saw in the movie?

This is a definite winner for Universal, because whether or not the series itself is coming to an end, it will continue to live on for generations; maybe not to the same degree that Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny has, but there's no reason to think it won't hook the grand-children of today's fan-base.

My opinion:

As you turn past Sinbad Heading towards Dragons you enter Harry Potter World. All of those games would be grabbed as well as Enchanted Oak and yes, Dueling Dragons. I think this quote in the Sentinel is referring to Dragons:

"...Universal intended to leverage some existing infrastructure." He said that would have to include far more than a paint job and a new sign because too much was at stake.

If you notice in the concept art I belive Dragons is vaguely represented under the word Harry. The clump of trees ( The Forbidden Forest ) is across from that . I believe that is the current location of the Oak.

The area would continue past Flying Unicorn, bearing left (long and narrow back there just like the concept art ) and end at Hogwarts. I think the castle will seem somewhat distant because of this design, could be real cool at night .

I am trying to understand the whole "Harry Potter is a fad" argument. Couldn't you say the same thing about Dr. Suess? They built a whole island on that idea.

Harry Potter is going to be around for quite a while. Those books are well written, engrossing stories.

Yeah, Dr. Seuss was a literary and creative genius. Rowling is not. This, of course, says nothing about the popularity of either. Dr. Seuss published his first children's book in 1937. It's safe to say that his work is enduring, not a whimsical fad. The long term success of Harry Potter remains to be seen.

I personally think that Harry Potter will be a long-term deal. We're talking about masses of kids, over a decade, who are reading these books and watching these movies. Hell, not only kids--I see adults reading the books all the time too. This isn't something they're going to just "grow up" from one day. The worlds in the stories have been lushly developed and the themes are timeless. For that reason, even when they stop reading the books, they will be carrying the stories with them. I remember reading my first Harry Potter book in the 6th grade and I wholly intend on finishing the series this summer. And assuming I can bag a mate to pop out some kids, these are books I know I'd pass down to my children.

I am in no way saying it's wrong that you dislike the series. I know many people simply dont "understand" the series or why they're so popular and for that reason dont care for it. All I'm saying is, this is a long-term investment. They're not just trying to make a quick buck off of the "here and now". They damn well know that for at least a good few decades, they have an audience for this thing. And in my opinion, theme park attractions only aid in the longevity of characters and stories (Still havn't seen "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mister Toad" or read the "Wind in the Willows", yet Mr. Toad and his story is very familiar to me).

-Jahan

Still havn't seen "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mister Toad" or read the "Wind in the Willows", yet Mr. Toad and his story is very familiar to me).

-Jahan

The Wind in the Willows was one of my favorite books as a kid, right up there with The Phantom Tollbooth. And I don't remember a thing about either now

Maybe I missed this somewhere but is this a contract deal or something? I mean, will they have the rights to Harry Potter for an undetermined amount of time or not?

I'm not a big reader, so I'm not a big Potter fan, but I still like the movies and this seems like a great addition. I think non-Potter fans will still have a great time. I probably would.

Hopefully they can keep Dueling Dragons pretty close to its original form while still adding some Harry Potter theming to it. I hope they don't rename it, though.

The Wind in the Willows was one of my favorite books as a kid, right up there with The Phantom Tollbooth. And I don't remember a thing about either now

Did kids line up around street corners on midnight to buy Wind in the Willows or The Phantom Tollbooth?

IMO, I think Harry Potter will survive for an extremely long time. I've read the books over and over and they never seem to get boring. I'll probably be 50 years old and still waiting for the 8th book to come out; that's how good they are.

Harry Potter is going to be around for quite a while.

I agree. Harry Potter has to be almost as popular now as Star Wars, and Star Wars is still making money off stuff and will be for the next 50 years at least if not forever.

Books/films are also discovered by each new generation and will continue to make new fans from now on.

If you notice in the concept art I belive Dragons is vaguely represented under the word Harry.

Looking at the high-res version, it's actually The Flying Unicorn that is vaguely represented. On the far right of the high-res is the current castle queue (with some additional tents) for Dragons.

Based on this layout, that puts Hogwarts castle in the large area between Jurassic and The Flying Unicorn. (See Page 1 of this thread; it looks like the castle is gonna go right where Robb put his big question mark.)

I want my Ralph S. Mouse themed land damnit!

Nothing beats Mouse & the motorcycle.

I am trying to understand the whole "Harry Potter is a fad" argument. Couldn't you say the same thing about Dr. Suess? They built a whole island on that idea.

Harry Potter is going to be around for quite a while. Those books are well written, engrossing stories.

Yeah, Dr. Seuss was a literary and creative genius. Rowling is not. This, of course, says nothing about the popularity of either. Dr. Seuss published his first children's book in 1937. It's safe to say that his work is enduring, not a whimsical fad. The long term success of Harry Potter remains to be seen.

I agree Harry Potter is not really that good, the story is a rip of many other stories and movies that have been done before and converted to a different story line with similar adventures to even some HBO Halloween series I remember watching as a kid.

I am glad it did get more kids to read again although.

And yes comparing Dr Seuss to Rowling is about as far in left field as you can get. Seuss has had the test of time to establish his work as a master peace. Rowling’s work is predictable and I have to agree for the fad statement.

Time will only prove the true works of art.

Ok now before you "As someone so greatly put it" basement nerds get ticked off.

I do believe a Harry Potthead themed land will add much needed atmosphere to IOA. No doubt about it and very smart decision.

Also when you look at the Owls eye view the coaster in front of the castle looks possible for a flyer layout. They have wanted a B&M flyer for some time now, will be neat to see what they announce.

:::: Sorcerer Mickey could kick Potters a$$ any day ::::

Best part of this: Besides IOA finally getting something new. Disney will once again step up to the plate.

Will be interesting to see what’s under their sleeves because they have known about this for some time.

5th Gate, or huge expansion to Animal Kingdom, hmmm. Time will tell.

Best part of this: Besides IOA finally getting something new. Disney will once again step up to the plate.

Will be interesting to see what’s under their sleeves because they have known about this for some time.

5th Gate, or huge expansion to Animal Kingdom, hmmm. Time will tell.

-Begin dream sequence-

Fade in: interior of LucasArts headquarters.

Secretary: "Mr. Lucas, line one. It's the Walt Disney Company.

George Lucas: "Thanks, I'll take it."

Iger: "George, we'd like you to develop a park based on the Star Wars franchise."

George: "Gladly. An unlimited budget, you say?"

Iger: "You have free reign."

George: "Deal. We'll get started immediately."

Fade out: Back to Harry Potter discusion.

BeemerBoy, it's all your fault. I am no longer concentrating at work; I'm dreaming of a Star Wars theme park. Thanks a lot! (Mmmmm...stunt show at the Great Pit of Carkoon with Jabba's barge as the main stage.)

Wow! I didn't realize that TPR had so many qualified literary critics and English professors! It just goes to show that you can't judge a person by his or her screen name.

I'm okay TWWOHP as long as the quality is high, the attention to detail is elaborate, and the attractions are of immense quality. Based on the concept art, my hopes are high. Whether you're a fan or not, I think we can all enjoy fully immersive, fictional environments. That's what a theme park is all about, right?

I'm thinking of a massive Star Wars expansion to MGM or building Mount Doom with a kickass multi motion ride inside.

Well, with Harry Potter movies getting darker and scarier each time, don't you think they would probably make a really scary ride like ROTM?