TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I actually thought I was going to hear how Universal Orlando was going to spend just $120 dollars on new attractions. That'd buy, like, a bin

But yes, very glad to hear they are investing again. Its almost as much fun to see what awesome stuff they come up with and build as it is with Disney.

I actually thought I was going to hear how Universal Orlando was going to spend just $120 dollars on new attractions. That'd buy, like, a bin

But yes, very glad to hear they are investing again. Its almost as much fun to see what awesome stuff they come up with and build as it is with Disney.

LOL, I saw that too and wondered whether the thread was a joke. Fixed it for ya Barry!

^ That is actually just a rumor that's been going on for a while. There was also a rumor that track was heading south from Ohio but really who knows. Would be awesome tho... But you'd think if track was being laid someone would notice.

I can also confirm that nothing is going on where Triceratops Encounter is/was.

I think the next attraction at IOA will be something BIG (like a Harry Potter themed ride/area) and will be indoors as IOA is in desperate need of more rides that don't shut down every summer afternoon from 3-5!

Eric

My predictions:

An announcement for a new lagoon-based show at IOA.

A new attraction at IOA.

The former Triceratops Encounter area is worked on and reopened in a new form.

USF's Mummy gets a minor upgrade to include the long rumored "feet ticklers" for the scarab scene.

Back to the Future's replacement is announced, but not to be the Simpsons or the Fast and the Furious.

Blue Man Group opens to the public.

^ Those are actually pretty reasonable predictions!

Although I think Universal is going to stay true and turn BTTF into a Simpsons ride...eventhough thats not the best idea, thats what they're probably going to do

(I'd rather see a Lost ride )

• 1 month later...

Wizarding World Of Harry Potter Announced!

9/15/09 Update! New information can be found on page 84 or click here!

ORLANDO, Fla (May 31, 2007) - Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and Universal Orlando Resort are partnering to create the world’s first fully immersive Harry Potter themed environment based on the bestselling books by J.K. Rowling and blockbuster feature films from Warner Bros. Envisioned as a “theme park within a theme park” and titled “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” the new environment will become part of the experience within Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park at the Universal Orlando Resort.

“Over the years we’ve received thousands of letters from fans around the world wishing they could visit Hogwarts and the wonderful locations described in each of J.K. Rowling’s beloved stories,” said Barry Meyer, chairman and CEO, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Working with Universal Orlando Resort, we are confident that we’ll be able to provide Harry Potter fans with an incredible experience that upholds the richness of J.K. Rowling’s books and delivers on the authentic detail portrayed in our films.”

“We will rely on our company’s rich movie heritage and expertise in transforming film concepts into theme park entertainment experiences,” said Ron Meyer, president and COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are among the most compelling of our time. The millions of people who have read the books and seen the movies will now be able to experience the world of Harry Potter in person.”

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters – and faithful to the visual landscapes of the films – “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will provide a one-of-a-kind opportunity to experience the magical world of Harry and his friends. The fully immersive, themed land will enable guests to visit some of the most iconic locations found in the books and the films including the village of Hogsmeade, the mysterious Forbidden Forest, and even Hogwarts castle itself. "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed," said J.K. Rowling.

“We have a profound sense of responsibility for the Harry Potter franchise at Warner Bros. Bringing the magic of J.K. Rowling’s written word to the motion picture screen was the first step in expanding this amazing and imaginative world. Working with Universal Orlando Resort to bring it to life in a physical environment that you can walk through, relax in and ride on is the natural next step for fans to experience and enjoy,” said Alan Horn, president and COO, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Expected to open in late 2009, the new environment will feature immersive rides and interactive attractions, as well as experiential shops and restaurants that will enable guests to sample fare from the wizarding world’s best known establishments. Also debuting will be a state-of-the-art attraction that will bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in an exciting way that guests have never before experienced.

“We are going to devote more time, more money, more expertise and more executive talent from throughout our entire organization and creative team – as well as from Warner Bros., our partners – to ensure that

this entire environment is second-to-none,” said Tom Williams, chairman and CEO, Universal Parks

and Resorts.

Brad Globe, president of Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products, added: “In Universal, we found the right partner whose unparalleled commitment will ensure that this is a world class destination. Their track record of success and the consistently high level of entertainment at all of their parks gave us the confidence to know that they will meet—or exceed— the extremely high expectations we all have for this project.”

The Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who has worked to bring the world of Harry Potter to life in all of the feature films to date, leads the creative design for the area to ensure it remains faithful to the look and feel of the films.

“Our primary goal is to make sure this experience is an authentic extension of Harry Potter’s world as it is portrayed in the books and films,” said Craig. “I am very excited to be working closely with the Universal Orlando team to bring the area to life.”

The Universal Orlando resort destination (http://www.universalorlando.com) includes two dramatically distinct and adjacent theme parks, the Universal Studios motion picture and television theme park and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando's most thrilling and exhilarating theme park. Universal Orlando also includes CityWalk, a 30-acre dining, shopping, club and live-entertainment venue as well as premier on-site Loews hotels and world-class film and television production facilities.

Harry Potter continues to be a global phenomenon. The series of books by author J.K. Rowling has been translated into 65 languages with more than 325 million copies sold in over 200 territories around the world. The films, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, have grossed more than $3.5 billion at the box office worldwide. Each of the four Harry Potter films produced to date has the distinction of making it into the all time top 20 grossing films worldwide. The fifth film in the series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™, will be released in theatres on July 11, 2007.

press_hp_hogsmead_square_low.jpg.3291611ab1c360fc1b136996ebe9a6fb.jpg

press_hp_hogwarts_low.jpg.3e8e91a891cc21dcd630fba3592d57f5.jpg

press_hp_owl_view_low.thumb.jpg.6bfd53263d71f0f0f75af1d752c33032.jpg

Edited by larrygator

So, is it replacing an area, or is it an entirely new one?

I have no idea! I had heard a "rumor" that is was replacing Lost Continent, but I don't seen signs of the LC buildings, Dragons, or Flying Unicorn anywhere in that concept art. So I'm really not sure.

If it was a new area...where would they put it?

--Robb

Wow. That IS major renovations, heh heh.

But remember, all.

Disney was already changing (and had changed) things in his park, by the mid 60's, yes?

Of course, I seem to remember that Critter Country (originally as Bear Country) only replaced the Native Indian 'settlement' and culture areas.

And Tomorrowland was extended on land already earmarked for expansion,

Still - just ten years old and already a Big Change Afoot, LOL!

Or...uh.... aflight, hmmm?

It was confirmed that a huge chunk (if not all of) Lost Continent would be stripped away for this project. It's too bad they didn't have any excess property to expand onto for this new "land."

Where was it confirmed? I've never seen that anywhere.

And as for not having any room for any new land...what exactly is in this area...... Link to Google Image

newland_ioa.jpg.a8e4bf9d87028b2e1bbca22434ce8487.jpg

Hello, I just registered to this site because this story encouraged me to share some piece of information I found.

The Orlando Sentinel has a slightly more in-depth report on this. According to them, Quote:

Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

It was also stated, that Quote:

Some current "The Lost Continent" attractions such as The Dueling Dragons roller coasters and The Flying Unicorn coaster ride likely would be adapted to fit the Harry Potter story.

The full article can be found here: www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom ... ?track=rss

Yeah, that was on ComingSoon.Net too. Anyway, sounds like they're not planning on doing any half-measures: hopefully it *won't* replace Lost Continent but should be really good either way. I'm not a diehard HP fan; I don't go to midnight launches, go to the movies dressed up as a house elf/wizard/gnome etc but do really like it. I can think of far worse ideas than this.

Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

I'm guessing they are talking about this area....

potter2.jpg.52b6e6d3c4ae86c2c034718b9f2e80a7.jpg

Quoted from the article.....

The new, "seventh island" would feature reconstructed and rethemed attractions, and all-new ones, Scott Trowbridge, vice president of Universal's Creative Studios, said in an interview. The Hogwarts castle and locations from Rowling's Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village will be created as backdrops to attractions, shops and restaurants.

Three-time Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who designed sets for all the Harry Potter movies, leads the "Wizarding World" design team.

Much of "The Lost Continent" island, including Universal's award-winning Mythos Restaurant, will be retained as a separate themed area, just smaller. The island would remain open during construction as well.

I do wonder where they get this information or if it's just speculation.

It doesn't seem to make any sense if Lost Contient is just Mythos and Posiden's Fury. That's WAAAY to small of a land for it to even be considered an "island." So I'm not sure I believe at this point that Unicorn and Dragons would be part of Potter.

It WOULD make sense that Sinbad was re-themed to Potter and that area with the fountain became the entrance to the new island that is built behind the theater in that parking lot area.

This should be a very interesting development.

--Robb

This should be a very interesting development.

That's the only thing I can really be sure of, right now.

I'm very interested as to what's going on here. While I personally believe that the Harry Potter series has been crammed with enough material to sustain it's very own theme park, I am interested to see what Universal has whipped up. I'm saddened by the possibility of Lost Continent rethemes--I mean, it is one of the only lands not wholly touched by already-existing characters but rather is its own unique, original land. But I am interested to see where they put this and how the do execute both the construction of the new land and potential rethemes.

-Jahan