Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1326: Race Through New York Grand Opening Event!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Wow. That IS major renovations, heh heh.

But remember, all.

Disney was already changing (and had changed) things in his park, by the mid 60's, yes?

Of course, I seem to remember that Critter Country (originally as Bear Country) only replaced the Native Indian 'settlement' and culture areas.

And Tomorrowland was extended on land already earmarked for expansion,

Still - just ten years old and already a Big Change Afoot, LOL!

Or...uh.... aflight, hmmm?

;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed May 30, 2007 11:41 pm

kraxleRIDAH wrote:It was confirmed that a huge chunk (if not all of) Lost Continent would be stripped away for this project. It's too bad they didn't have any excess property to expand onto for this new "land."

Where was it confirmed? I've never seen that anywhere.

And as for not having any room for any new land...what exactly is in this area...... Link to Google Image
newland_ioa.jpg

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby NowhereMan » Thu May 31, 2007 12:02 am

Hello, I just registered to this site because this story encouraged me to share some piece of information I found.

The Orlando Sentinel has a slightly more in-depth report on this. According to them, Quote:
Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

It was also stated, that Quote:
Some current "The Lost Continent" attractions such as The Dueling Dragons roller coasters and The Flying Unicorn coaster ride likely would be adapted to fit the Harry Potter story.

The full article can be found here: www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom ... ?track=rss

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Zen Coaster » Thu May 31, 2007 12:02 am

Yeah, that was on ComingSoon.Net too. Anyway, sounds like they're not planning on doing any half-measures: hopefully it *won't* replace Lost Continent but should be really good either way. I'm not a diehard HP fan; I don't go to midnight launches, go to the movies dressed up as a house elf/wizard/gnome etc but do really like it. I can think of far worse ideas than this.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby JJboy100 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:05 am

I clicked on the link and saw the empty land....but it looks kinda small for an area the Harry Potter would need?!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 am

NowhereMan wrote:Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

I'm guessing they are talking about this area....
potter2.jpg

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am

Quoted from the article.....

The new, "seventh island" would feature reconstructed and rethemed attractions, and all-new ones, Scott Trowbridge, vice president of Universal's Creative Studios, said in an interview. The Hogwarts castle and locations from Rowling's Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village will be created as backdrops to attractions, shops and restaurants.

Three-time Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who designed sets for all the Harry Potter movies, leads the "Wizarding World" design team.

Much of "The Lost Continent" island, including Universal's award-winning Mythos Restaurant, will be retained as a separate themed area, just smaller. The island would remain open during construction as well.

I do wonder where they get this information or if it's just speculation.

It doesn't seem to make any sense if Lost Contient is just Mythos and Posiden's Fury. That's WAAAY to small of a land for it to even be considered an "island." So I'm not sure I believe at this point that Unicorn and Dragons would be part of Potter.

It WOULD make sense that Sinbad was re-themed to Potter and that area with the fountain became the entrance to the new island that is built behind the theater in that parking lot area.

This should be a very interesting development.

--Robb

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby kraxleRIDAH » Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am

Now, it'll be interesting to see how they carry out the integration with the current Lost Continent facades and Dueling Dragons...

I can see it now...Dueling Dragons becomes Potter vs. Voldemort: THE RIDE. :lmao:

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Thu May 31, 2007 12:17 am

This should be a very interesting development.

That's the only thing I can really be sure of, right now.

I'm very interested as to what's going on here. While I personally believe that the Harry Potter series has been crammed with enough material to sustain it's very own theme park, I am interested to see what Universal has whipped up. I'm saddened by the possibility of Lost Continent rethemes--I mean, it is one of the only lands not wholly touched by already-existing characters but rather is its own unique, original land. But I am interested to see where they put this and how the do execute both the construction of the new land and potential rethemes.

-Jahan

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby KingOfNynex2003 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:21 am

That area will be totally awesome! I have loved the books ever since they came out all those years ago some of the movies were ok but took way too much out of the books especially number 4 The Goblet of Fire snd luckily I'll possibly be going the year it opens up!
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a8a731ac04bc03138e9c85ddc2e9c415.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!