Photo TR: Robb's Trip Around The World!

Portugal, England, Hong Kong - Hong Kong Disney Photos!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Photo TR: Robb's Trip Around The World!

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:02 am

Photo Trip Report Updates:
Arrive in Portugal (that's this one you're on now!)
Fun in Portugal Part 1
Fun in Portugal Part 2
Chessington World of Adventures and Brighton Pier
Thorpe Park
Hong Kong Photos
Ocean Park, Hong Kong
Dragon Centre, Hong Kong
LOTS of photos of Hong Kong!
Hong Kong Disneyland, More Ocean Park, and More Hong Kong!

Ok, here is the 'short version' of the story....

Right when I got back from our big Europe trip (which keep in mind was less than three weeks ago) I was told at work that they needed me to go out with our marketing and PR departments to do some product demonstrations. These demos, however, happened to be in Europe and Asia....Portugal and Hong Kong to be exact.

Now, keeping in mind that this is a business trip first, and a fun trip second, I knew that it was very unlikely that I'd be able to get to many parks.

But seeing as though Portugal has almost zero credits (well, actually zero as I found out today!) and since I had a short layover in the UK on my way to Hong Kong and a free day in Portugal, I decided to shorted my Portugal stay and have a longer layover in the UK so I can hit up Chessington's and Thorpe.

Then it's onto Hong Kong where I should be able to get to Ocean Park and at least see the entrance to Hong Kong Disneyland.

So overall, while it's not a wealth of parks and coasters, there were a few.

My journey started in Los Angeles and then onto New York City to switch planes, and then today I landed in Lisbon, Portugal.

So far it seems like a nice place. The traffic seems bad and the drivers are crazy, kind of like Italy. The hotel is this really swanky, upscale golf resort, which is really nice, but it's not really my thing. Still, it's a fantastic place for the product demos I have to do.

Since there isn't anything really going on today work wise, I decided to check out the two parks that I knew existed nearby.

The first one, "Fun Center" which is pretty much a Jeepers-like place, is inside the largest mall in Portugal (which actually looked like a pretty standard-sized mall by US standards!) The 2nd park, Feira Popular de Lisboa, I was pretty sure had closed, although it's still listed as open on RCDB, but sure enough, it has closed and will be replaced by Fantasia Park scheduled to open in 2007.

So that only left one possible credit for me in Portugal, the Vekoma Roller Skater at Fun Center.

It was a short 20 minute drive from the hotel, and the mall looked pretty much like your smaller sized "mills" type malls you find in the US. I think that Ontario Mills or Gurnee Mills was MUCH bigger than this place!

After a bit of searching, I finally found the Fun Center....which is closed for remodeling until September. :cry: Oh, well...I think I can live without that Roller Skater credit! :lol: It was still very odd, though. You'd think that if they were going to remodel a place like that, they would do it during the school season, not during summer!

Anyway, I took some photos of the trip so far. Sorry there are no coaster shots, at least not yet anyway, but there will be some by the end of the week!

Oh, yeah, one last thing....so Elissa couldn't come on this trip, which is a real bummer. =( Doesn't seem right to be traveling to random places without her. But now that you all know she's home alone, it's a perfect time to stalk her!!! :lol:

Anyway, onto some photos....
around1.jpg
The trip starts with annoying security lines in Los Angeles. "We're not a dressing room, we're a security station" barks the TSA at some woman who was putting on her shoes and jacket that they made her take off.
around2.jpg
Here is the plane that will take me to NYC.
around4.jpg
Wow! This plane sure is empty...too bad it didn't stay like that. =(
around5.jpg
Here I am landing in NYC.
around6.jpg
Flying into Lisbon - I thought the place looked very interesting...all the buildings are painted the same color!
around7.jpg
Lisbon airport has the 'old school' stairs to get off the plane.
around8.jpg
Yay! I made it to Lisbon, or....um...Lisboa, or...whatever!
around9.jpg
There was a driver waiting for me! Now THIS is first class stuff! =)
around10.jpg
Here is the ultra-swanky hotel they put me up in.
around11.jpg
Any room with a plasma TV is ok by me!
around12.jpg
I miss Elissa. =(
around13.jpg
Here is the view from the patio of my hotel room.
around14.jpg
The bathroom is actually three different rooms! Toilets, bath & shower, and sinks! Wow! Upscale!!!
around15.jpg
Choose wisely!
around16.jpg
Here is Columbo. A HUGE mall for Portugal, pretty average for the US. Whatever, it's still named after a crappy Peter Falk show!
around17.jpg
It looks pretty nice, but then again, it kind of looks like it could be any mall in the world.
around18.jpg
Ahh! I finally found the Fun Center! Time for a credit!!!
around19.jpg
Doh!!! Looks like no Roller Skater for me today. The Fun Center is being remodeled and won't open until September.
around20.jpg
Oh, well...at least there is Pizza Hut and Baskin Robins...Elissa should appreciate this (Did I mention that I miss her?)

If it Wasn't For Cliffs I'd Have to Drive 7 Hours for Wood!!!

Postby crispy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:19 am

bummer, sorry about the no credits, hope you have fun, and better luck in the other places

thanks for stopping by the night crew chat, we are there most nights

have fun

Johnny Quest Thinks Im What?

Postby martin182 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:45 am

well at least the mall didnt have a super 300ft intamin hyper there... :lol: some people view a vekoma missed as a blessing! (i personally dont mind them :P

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Photo TR: Robb's Trip Around The World!

Postby coasterking » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:07 am

Nice trip report, that hotel room is really nice looking.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:24 am

So did you eat at the Pizza Hut??

I love malls in other countries! Was it interesting?

Elissa "yeah, I miss you too!" Alvey

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:27 am

^ Not really. It was pretty much like any other mall you'd see anywhere else.

That was the thing, there wasn't anything REALLY different to set it apart. Same shops you are used to in most malls, same food, etc....

I mean, it was nice and all, it just wasn't very special at all.

--Robb

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Justin Adams » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:35 am

Hey, nice photos. That overhead shot of Lesbian, um, I mean Lisbon looks interesting. Sort of reminds me of parts of New York City and New Jersey. I don't know why, it just does.

Too bad about the Roller Skater, we all know how much you LOVE Vekoma. I guess it'll have to wait until European Coaster Trip 3. ;)

Justin

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:06 am

Nice pics.

That's so weird that everything looks the same. But your hotel looks way cool.

Teh Rockness Monster

Postby BiCoastal Kid » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:12 am

Your hotel room is really purdy. Where do they have you staying in Hong Kong? Maybe you'll score and get The Peninsula, they supposedly pick you up in a Rolls Royce!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby BelizeIt » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:20 am

Nice hotel Robb, you work for a generous company.

Since you had to spend so much time flying I assume you took full-advantage of the hotels "In Room" Deep Tissue Massage service?

I hear that helps with jet-lag.

Many companies often pay for those additional "services", since their executives often perform their jobs better afterwards. :P

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive