TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

^That or it's themed to a green girl who lives in a land where the talking animals are being hunted and killed. She likes munchkins and defying gravity...

That prroves it, i can go nowhere wihtout somone somehow spoiling somthing about the plot of Wicked. Seriously, by March, im not even sure if i should even bother going to the show!

Somone will probably chain me down and read the book to me against my will by then.

Im confused abot what kind of restarints thins coaster will have? What would "lap/leg" restraints" be?

It looks like a really fun, thrilling coaster, and longer than Hypersonic!

Speaking of which, does anybody else find it funny how the TA2K was such a popular, talked about subject, yet it had two installations (including a seemingly lame record breaker) and then went no where? I don't know, I just thought about that.

But yeah, I agree that this project is great. I really hope it helps coasters like these and the euro-fighters have a stronger market in the U.S. I could see these things really becoming a hot item with smaller parks especially.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure most of you have already seen these from the link through screamscape, but I just thought I'd post the link again. Somebody finally got some more pictures of Wicked, and we get to see some track now! This is probably the most track we'll see until a few weeks before the park opens because we finally got our first large snow storm today! (Woohoo skiing!) You can also see the station has been put up as well. So that's probably where most of the work has been going on recently. My friend is going down for the next couple of weeks for supervisor training, so I'll try to have her get some new pics for us.

And here's the link....

http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1281.msg8911#msg8911

Mike

^That or it's themed to a green girl who lives in a land where the talking animals are being hunted and killed. She likes munchkins and defying gravity...

That prroves it, i can go nowhere wihtout somone somehow spoiling somthing about the plot of Wicked. Seriously, by March, im not even sure if i should even bother going to the show!

Somone will probably chain me down and read the book to me against my will by then.

Im confused abot what kind of restarints thins coaster will have? What would "lap/leg" restraints" be?

Um, I know the entire plot, all the songs, and still haven't seen the show. Yet, I still want to. Amazing....

^I'm seeing it twice when it's at the Pantages! Once with my family, and the other time with my friend, Front Row Mezzanine!

Back to the coaster: A lot has happened with vertical construction, and it looks like it will be great!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the latest construction pictures of the new "WICKED" roller coaster being built at Lagoon in Salt Lake City, UT.

Here's some stats from the press release:

FARMINGTON, UT - It's BIG, It's FAST, it's WICKED, and it's coming in 2007. Lagoon announces it's most thrilling coaster, EVER! The state of the art, $10 million, tower launch coaster will thrill riders of all ages with its unique ride elements.

Riders will be launched to the top of the 110 ft. tower at speeds up to 18.5 meters per second. This element is especially unique as most roller coasters slowly lift riders to the top of the first hill using a chain mechanism. Wicked riders will be propelled by means of a linear synchronous motor (LSM) drive system, essentially rocketing riders up and over the top of the first hill.

The 8-rider vehicles travel individually and achieve speeds up to 55 mph, passing though steep valleys, high banked turns, half-pipe, heart-roll inversion and more. Riders will be seated in two rows of four, facing forward, with the back row seats elevated above the front row. The lap/leg restraints will provide an exhilarating upper body freedom for rides.

Dick Andrew, Executive Vice President of Marketing said, "This is a one of a kind coaster, there is nothing like it in the world. We anticipate that Wicked will be well received by the public and that 2007 will perhaps be our most exciting season ever."

Construction has already begun and the new coaster is expected to open mid-April 2007. "Wicked was designed for Lagoon and it will be the tallest and fastest coaster we have at the park," Dal Feeman, Lagoon Engineer said.

Zierer of Offenberg Germany is manufacturing the one of a kind coaster for Lagoon.

763781996_Wicked17.jpg.d54f3f43fe1197c1132408773b697e27.jpg

The AWESOME (very Intamin-esque looking) roll-over inversion

looks fantastic to me!, just a question, if Intimin's track design is based upon that of g'forces, why do some "high-G" spots have only the "two-rail" design(such as the horse-shoe\highly banked turn) here. On many of his coasters, the heartline roll is only constructed of the two rail design(heavy load while inverted), however some of the lower-G spots(maverick's top of 95 degree(negative g'forces)) are that of three or four rails... I understand the part of structural rigidity, but sometimes, his methods\desings don't conform...HMMM...

Dan "the slightly confused" Strickland

^---fair enough...that makes sense, I should have noticed her lack of presence!!, but regardless, is my reasoning un-sound?

Maybe the forces at that point don't warrant the use of any additional support. I'm no engineering expert, but there's a load of people on here who know far more than I do, so I'm sure they'd field that question.

The use of the two-rail, tri-rail would also depend on the spacing of the supports as well...not just the force the vehicle applies.

If you look at the tri-rail portions of the track, the supports are spaced further apart...two-rail, supports are closer together, etc.

Hope that helps.