TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'm from Ohio (Dayton) and I have to say that I am amazed that so many people are talking about the loop being removed. The park we go to on the weekends is normaly Kings Island and I may be a bit jaded but I never concentrated much on the loop. I got on that ride and every time I thought of how bad it was going to beat up my sides, that was the fear element for me, and acording to the pictures in the cincy enquirer I was right. http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB538031213.PDF shows the damage that was done to the ride in the official state report. The idea that the wood supports would be able to splinter like that blows my mind.

I'm sure many of you on here have seen some scary coasters, (DubaiDave's trip report comes to mind), but to me SOB will be that much scarier when it reopens, even sans loop.

[Cedar Point ... America's Roller Coast, Kings Island.....NOT an ISLAND, In fact..... NOWHERE near Water]

I'm from Ohio (Dayton) and I have to say that I am amazed that so many people are talking about the loop being removed. The park we go to on the weekends is normaly Kings Island and I may be a bit jaded but I never concentrated much on the loop. I got on that ride and every time I thought of how bad it was going to beat up my sides, that was the fear element for me, and acording to the pictures in the cincy enquirer I was right. http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB538031213.PDF shows the damage that was done to the ride in the official state report. The idea that the wood supports would be able to splinter like that blows my mind.

Thanks for linking that report. Very intersting. The most difficult part of wood design is the connections, and it looks like that is what failed. (actually it was the wood, around the connections). I will have to give this a more detailed read later.

I would think that ...

They would be able to spot the areas that are needed to be fixed or that have damages monthly or weekly or annually...ect. If there are areas that need work, they need to put in the new wood immediately...but look at the Beast...still runnin 25 years later. No big problems at all. The wood should be a 10 year update or somthing...unless they find that bad area...and a bad area shouldnt come up on any coaster if it is taken good care of.

......... It used to seem that every time I got of SOB....I had to go to the bathroom! I never had any problems with me that accually laster a long time, like back and neck stuff....I guess I was one of the 'lucky ones' D@mn... I really hope SOB is fixed up good so all these negative comments can be a thing of the past.....or else it will eventually get torn down D:

Methinks I might actually give Son of Beast another chance if the trains are any good. The loop was the smoothest part of the ride, so removing the loop actually makes me want to ride it less. I'll wait for the reviews.

For all I care, they should tear it down and put a good ride in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Press Release:

http://www3.cedarfair.com/kingsisland/news/detail.cfm?item_id=480

Firehawk Debuts at Kings Island Memorial Day Weekend

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Kings Island celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2007 by soaring to new heights with its 14th roller coaster, Firehawk. Debuting Memorial Day Weekend, this innovative flying coaster propels willing test pilots 115 feet in the air and through five inversions at speeds of more than 50 mph – all while facing the ground, experiencing the inconceivable feeling of human flight.

The best of the best begin their mission just behind Flight of Fear roller coaster in Coney Mall. After boarding their four-across yellow and red pilot seats, guests are lowered backward and begin their ascent up the 115-foot-tall red and steel gray lift hill, only to be flipped over and jetted at top speeds through ½ mile of steel track over the course of 2 minutes and 30 seconds!

“The addition of Firehawk reflects our commitment to combining one-of-a-kind thrills with fantastic family entertainment,” said Greg Scheid, Kings Island’s vice president and general manager. “We’re looking for some real thrill seekers who are ready and willing to fly. What a way to celebrate our 35th anniversary!”

Firehawk joins a portfolio of 13 award-winning, industry-leading roller coasters including The Beast (the world’s longest wooden coaster), Son of Beast (the world’s tallest and fastest wooden coaster), Flight of Fear (the world’s first coaster with LIM launch technology), Vortex (the country’s first six-inversion coaster) and Rugrat’s Runaway Reptar (the world’s first inverted coaster for children).

Kings Island opens for weekend operation Saturday, April 21. Gates open at 10 a.m. Daily operation begins Wednesday, May 23. Boomerang Bay™ opens Saturday, May 26. For more information about Kings Island, guests can call the park at (800) 288-0808 or visit www.pki.com.

Fact Sheet:

Manufacturer: Vekoma International

Track Length: 3340 feet

Ride Speed: 51 mph.

Height: 115 feet

Angle of descent: 30 degrees

Inversions: 5

Hourly Capacity: 400 guests per hour per train

Riders: 24 (6 four-passenger rows per train) 2 trains

Ride Length: 2:30 minutes

Height Requirement: 54”

Firehawk_1024x768_mc3.jpg.c4e32b04d842891e3270259e37abe803.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly not much of a release. I was hoping for some digital imaging. I'm wondering how the ride will fit into the area and how it will be themed. Also I'd like to hear from the park how this ride came to KI and what the management thinks of it.

So hoping for a bit more info, and some quality photos and videos.

While Vekoma coasters are far from the best, I definatly think this is the most excitement Kings Island has experianced for sometime, not since 2000 has there been this much interest in Kings Island. So kudos to Cedar Fair for adding something to the park that they haven't had for a while, a thrilling coaster.

Yeah it isn't much cjeagle35, but there's a possibility pictures and stuff will be added at the announcement today. If you noticed, it doesn't mention anything about Firehawk on KI's homepage. It would've been awesome if the track was neon orange instead of red.

What is up with CF and ending their ride names in "Hawk"?