TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toverland Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess, maybe one of our GCI Guys can chime in, but I would guess it's due to the soil and land conditions. Isn't a lot of the Netherlands pure marsh and wetland? Even some of it below sea level? It might just be easier and safer to do one giant slab/footer rather than deal with individual ones that could sink or collapse?

N00b time:

Why do they build it on one big concrete slab? Is it to stop the wood being attacked by plants or something? The only other one i can think of that has a single "footer" is Balder but there must be more...

Thunderbird @ PowerPark in Finland is at least partially built on a giant slab of concrete http://www.rcdb.com/ig2955.htm?picture=5

Why the concrete ?

Because it's easier.

Standalone footers would take too much work (and time and money)...and they would be right next to each other anyway. So why bother ? Just pour one huge footer for all the supports.

Look at Renegade:

renegade4.thumb.jpg.5486559b88dc6a692f229c30d9cac6f6.jpg

See ?

Why the concrete ?

Because it's easier.

Standalone footers would take too much work (and time and money)...and they would be right next to each other anyway. So why bother ? Just pour one huge footer for all the supports.

I don't believe it's an issue of being "easy", but more-so maintenance. Single footers tend to shift around, so pouring one slab reduces the stress on the wood from moving. I could be completely wrong, this is just my own assumptions/3rd hand information, but I really don't think it's an issue of being "easy" or "why do this when you can do that", but more the lifetime of the structure.

BTW, the first one they did this on was Thunderhead, and all the GCI's since have had it.

Why the concrete ?

Because it's easier.

I don't believe it's an issue of being "easy", but more-so maintenance.

That seems to be one of the definitions of easy lol .

BTW, the first one they did this on was Thunderhead, and all the GCI's since have had it.

Are you talking about this thunderhead...

or the other one !

• 3 weeks later...