Shockwave @ SFGAm

New video!!!!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby kraxleRIDAH » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:38 pm

apollo210 wrote:Is it just me, or are Viper and Shockwave not clones. The turn inbetween the loops on Viper is longer than the one of Shockwave. Is GASM a clone of either Shockwave or Viper?

ShockWave and Great American Scream Machine are clones, with Scream Machine being just a tad bit taller and faster. Viper, though it shares the same order of inversions, has a completely different layout. The first drop is much steeper than its predecessors, and despite being much larger and faster than ShockWave and Scream Machine, Viper's footprint is not as spread out.

Here's a visual comparison of all three:

ShockWave (1988)

The Great American Scream Machine (1989)
Viper (1990)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KoasterKidz67 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Good pics of the three!!

If anybody here wants to, tell us which of the Arrow 7 inversion roller coasters is your favorite. ( I won't get mad if don't say Shockwave)

;)

:airtime: You don't have to have ridden them!!!!! :airtimer:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KoasterKidz67 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi guys. Its me again. Within the next few days I'm going to find a lot of info on the Shockwave.

Then I will try to tell you guys the story of its life. I'll try to get some new pics. I might not post it until Sunday the 26th.

Hope you can be here to read it.

Try not to disappoint you. ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KoasterKidz67 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:12 am

I can't believe that I got all of this stuff in one day. Well here we go.

Shockwave was originally built in 1988. It remained at Six Flags Great America for 14 years before being dismantled to make room for Superman Ultimate Flight.

Through Shockwave's lifetime, the roller coaster suffered some injuries. Due to the speed going into the first vertical loop, the track fractured and needed constant attention in order for it to run smoothly and more importantly safely. Plus the wheels on the trains wore out pretty quickly and needed maintenance and would shut down during the day and be closed for twenty minute periods. The wheels were expensive too. THese reasons are probably the reason why it led to its destruction.

Let me take you back time when the Shockwave was still around and running.

THe year is 1988 and Shockwave just shattered the record book. It claimed the records of being the fastest and tallest roller coaster in the world. Shockwave also claimed the roller coaster with the most inversions. Thats seven.Ohhhhh Yaaaaaaa!!!!

However these records didn't last long. The very next year, Great American Scream Machine opened with an exact copied layout but three feet taller and 3 mph faster. Then the very next year Viper opened at SFMM and stole those records away.

After the Shockwave's removal, it sat in a field for two years waiting for another park to buy it.When the park failed to sell Shockwave, the coaster sentanced to death at the scrapyard in Zion, IL. The red train was sent to SFGAdv for spare parts for GASM. The yellow and blue trains were sent to SFMM to be used as spare parts for Viper. The sign was donated to an ACE's Museum. Several bolts were auctioned off at a coaster convention. The lift motor was installed at the Demon. Other various parts still exist in the park during Fright Fest.

R.I.P Shockwave. :cry: :cry: :cry:
shockwave29.jpg

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:14 am

^Oh yeah, I think somebody over at Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits has a piece of Shockwave's track.

-Carl "And it ain't Non-German Tom!" F.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cstrgrl87 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am

i only was able to get on shockwave once, since i didn't become a full fledged coaster person since 2002, but i thought it was an okay roller coaster. It was a bit bumpy for my taste, and a bit scary since i was a 12 year old girl, but it was okay.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KoasterKidz67 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:07 am

Here are some of its removal pics.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

these are what I could find. Hope you enjoy.
shockwave11.jpg
shockwave27.jpg
shockwave18.jpg
shockwave22.jpg
shockwave28.jpg

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:13 am

Nice pictures.

Taking a coaster apart is like constructing it. Only backward.

Guy "Stating the obvious." Koepp

Why is a duck when it spins?

Postby derwood » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:17 am

My first thought was....

What was non-German Tom doing in Chicago?

d

Wisconsin state fair boy

Postby benzo41190 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:20 am

The lift motor was installed at the Demon. Other various parts still exist in the park during Fright Fest.

Thats why it feels like the train rolls back and gives out on the Demon now ;)

But yeah, I loved this ride. I remember waiting no more then 10 mins for it and it was always memorable sight when going into the park. Since the first time Ive been to the park, I always remember seeing Shockwaves blue track and huge white supports when driving down the road. That was how we knew we were close, when we saw the Sky Tower and Shockwave. Shockwave is the most memorable thing in my mind when I think of SFGAm. I also remember walking back to the car after closing and watching the last cycles on Shockwave run. I still have that vivid image in my mind when the train would go through the pretzel loop and the on ride photo going off. The flash would light up the entire deserted parking lot and the almost empty and silent surroundings. It was the only thing that existed at the time the train passed through the pretzel loop. Followed by the screams and laughing as the train went through the corkscrews and the brakes.

The first time I went on Shockwave was when I was 7 and we were leaving the park. We left early that night and I was staring at Shockwave. I was like, mom, we have to go on Shockwave. PLEASE!!!!!! The main reason I wanted to go on it was because I though the onride photo thing was a strobe light, and at the time I loved playing with strobe lights. So me and my dad walked back in to the park, running, to get on it before it closed. We walked up to the entrance and there were still some people walking in the line. So we walked up to the train and I got on. I was so nervous and scared but my dad calmed me down. As we ascended the lift hill, I could see the sky line of the city and the brake lights off cars leaving the parking lot. The rest of the ride I remember the flashing of light and the sky spinning around as we went thought the loops. When we got into the station, I was in shock and I was amazed! Ever since then, I was obsessed with that ride, it was always a priority everytime we went. And I cryed when we saw it closed in 2002...for good.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!