TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

^yeah, and on top of that, look at The Mummy, not one of the most popular movies out there.. In fact, I like the ride way more than the movie (only seen the first one, and I only watched it because I liked the ride so much).

The Fast and The Furious made 11mil domestic gross less than The mummy at the box office, so Im sure they wouldnt rule out a TFaTF solely in terms of popularity because at the Box Office both movies did comparatively well.

Erm, The Mummy was quite popular. The FATF franchise isn't on the same level, no matter what the grosses were. It would be an awful choice for an attraction.

I disagree, I think both movies were moderately popular at best, and -at least in the states- are very much on the same level in terms of popularity. That was the comparison I was trying to make. Mummy wasnt this big huge blowout hit at the box office, however it was popular enough to have a few sequels, andhas an awesome ride dedicated to it. TFaTF was also not a huge blowout, but it did about the same in theatres, has a few sequels, and therefore it wouldnt be a bad move for the park to make movie ride out of it if they wanted to based on its popularity in theatres.

Dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast and the Furious would be sweet!

About a year ago, I participated in a supervisor training program in which we were each given two hours to come up with a new ride for either USF or IOA and then pitch it to a panel of upper management types. Of course, it was just "for fun." Nothing that would ever get built. But it was still the coolest training exersize ever.

Anyway, of the dozen or so people in the program, three pitched almost identical "dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast And The Furious," and all placed them behind BTTF.

Me, I pitched an indoor swinging ship with a Viking theme between Mythos and the Enchanted Oak, and emphasized how affordable it would be to build.

I won, too. (At least, that part of the program.)

I have no real point. Except maybe that the whole "dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast and the Furious" thing is a bit pedestrian.

Ideally, it would be an Arrested Development dark ride involving Segway transports, bananas, the Blue Man Group and George Michael's home video, but that's not gonna happen...

Seriously, though, a Family Guy dark ride would make me rigid...

^ Or you could ride in the stair car, or the cabin car. Watch out, you'll get a lot of hop-ons.

Brilliant! You could make that a competition... whoever gets the most hop-ons gets a prize at the end....

I vote for a "My Name Is Earl" simulator where you gotta try to help Earl cross something off his list while keeping Randy and Joy from screwing everything up. Then you could add a restaurant next door called the Crabshack and have Darnell working there (hows it going, Crabman!)

Dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast and the Furious would be sweet!

About a year ago, I participated in a supervisor training program in which we were each given two hours to come up with a new ride for either USF or IOA and then pitch it to a panel of upper management types. Of course, it was just "for fun." Nothing that would ever get built. But it was still the coolest training exersize ever.

Anyway, of the dozen or so people in the program, three pitched almost identical "dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast And The Furious," and all placed them behind BTTF.

Me, I pitched an indoor swinging ship with a Viking theme between Mythos and the Enchanted Oak, and emphasized how affordable it would be to build.

I won, too. (At least, that part of the program.)

I have no real point. Except maybe that the whole "dueling rocket coasters themed to The Fast and the Furious" thing is a bit pedestrian.

I came up with a different idea...F&F Drifting ride....take something like "the whip" where your car is on a track and at different points it whips around, or drifts for a few seconds on every turn...could make for an interesting ride.

• 1 month later...
After months of not commenting on rumors of the attraction's demise, Universal Orlando on Wednesday confirmed that the 16-year-old simulator ride will be closing to make room for an as-yet-undisclosed new attraction.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder would not give a date for the ride's last run, though employees at Universal said they have been told it would close Oct. 1.

From todays Orlando Sentinel

It looks like it is official! Does anyone have POV? I'm trying to remember if they allow video taping of the attraction. I for one am sad - even though it was rough it felt like a part of my childhood. I remember the countdown clock to opening that was near where the store was now..

Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

I know a lot of people will argue or disagree with me. But I have never liked the ride.

I'm just not into motion simulators, which is probably what the new ride will be. So, I won't like the new ride any better.

edit: Woohoo, second post. I'll go back to lurking now.

When the ride first opened I was really excited. In fact, it was the ONLY reason I wanted to go to Universal that year. Sadly, over time it got boring, rough, and dated. We knew the day would come, and the inner child in me is sad to see it go. As others have said, I just hope whatever replaces it isn't just another simulator. They had their time in the light, that was in the 1990s. Still it would have been nice if Universal had given a more official announcement more than a month before closing.