TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Well, there is a bright side to this: Since the train wasn't even fully on the lifthill, it didn't roll back very far and the collision must have been relatively low-speed. Hopefully it won't be down too long, hate to see this happen to a Schwarzkopf. =(

I went to Liseberg earlier today and the trains were still on track, as they were after the collision. But later in the day we heard some loud bangs from the station and trains had been moved into the maintenence area. We talked to some staff at the entrance to Lisebergbanan and they didn't know when the ride was going to open again. Hopefully it would do so asap.

Im going there not the upcoming week, but the week after. I sure hope its open by then because its a really good coaster.

^Going slightly off-topic here, but Im going with a friend whose not so eager to go if theres only two of us. If you live near Liseberg, would you like to meet up with us? Maybe bring some friends along? I really need to ride a coaster now, but if he doesnt want to go then Im not going either. PM me or contact me on MSN if youre interested.

Let's see now...

1) Stabbing incident at KFC in Thorpe Park.

2) Rollback Accident w/Lisebergbanan coaster @ Liseberg...

I guess it's me, but it now seems, different parks the UK Tour group visited in June - are now starting to have problems, coaster and non-

It says in today's morning newspaper here that the cause of the accident was that the chain snapped shortly after the train had engaged it. That's probably why they're looking into the channel in the picture above. Since only part of the train was on the lift hill it had not "activated" (their words) enough anti-rollback devices so those that had been "activated" were not strong enough to hold the train and prevent the rollback. According to Liseberg only 1 or 2 anti-rollback devices out of 11 on the train had engaged. Liseberg claims that if the train had made it just a little bit further up the lift hill the rollback would not have occured, and that the accident was "unforseeable". Accordning to Liseberg the entire train had not even left the station before it happened and only the first few cars were on the lift hill, but witnesses claim that the train were higher up the lift, even as far up as "the fifth or sixth flag" (which would mean the entire train was on the lift).

The train struck the train behind it while it was unloading in the station so people were standing up in the train and were "thrown around" when the collision occured. No one was seriously injured though some may have sustained whiplash and similar injuries. Witnesses claim there were smoke as the colliding train pushed the train in the station through the station brakes.

I'm guessing Lisebergbanan will be closed for quite some time now. First there's going to be an official investigation by the swedish equivalent to the NTSB and then I'm guessing they need to rework the anti-rollbacks so they engage earlier.

Can you provide us with a link to the report? Or, is the article stated word-for-word?

^ No, it was in the printed newspaper only and it's in swedish. Also, it was about 8 pages long, so I summarized it. The stuff I left out was mostly stuff that was in the other links and some sensationalism like "the nightmare on Lisebergbanan" and people saying that they'll never ride a roller coaster ever again because it not safe and stuff like that.

I wonder if the "chain" was the original one since being opened, if so it has lasted well.

I hope this classic ride will be working shortly and thrilling it's passengers for a long time to come. I have never been on this ride, it looks great fun.

How about fit a couple of sets of tyres at the bottom of the lift-hill and a trim brake, this should stop any roll-backs.

It says here (in swedish) that it will be closed for another month. They need to get a new chain, which apparently takes some time, and complete some investigations into what happened. After that they need to get re-inspected by the authorities to get a new license to operate it.

How about fit a couple of sets of tyres at the bottom of the lift-hill and a trim brake, this should stop any roll-backs.

I was there yesterday and checked it out, and there already are tyres there, but they apparently couldn't stop the train.

I went past Liseberg this morning on the way to work, and there was a huge crane there pulling out the chain from the top of the lift hill.

I don't think there's much chance of it becomming SBNO, it's kind of the signature ride of the park and the highest capacity ride there. Besides, with the lack of space they have it's either run it or tear it down.

• 3 weeks later...

Lisebergbanan is now running again, but from now on with only 4 trains as the 5th train that rolled back was too badly damaged and could not be repaired.

The official cause of the accident according to Lisebergs own investigation was that a bolt in the chain unscrewed itself and the chain separated. The rollback dogs on the trains were coated with a low fricton material similar to teflon in order to reduce noise and that was why the train slipped of the anti-rollback "teeth". This material has been removed from the trains. They were worried this would increase the noise too much, but apparently it only increased marginally.

Also, they've will inspect the chain more often. Before it was only inspected once a year, before the park opened for the season.

The source of this is the local morning newspaper, Goteborgs Posten. AFAIK, the article was only in the printed paper.

• 2 weeks later...

glad to know it's back open too! yay! hope it never happens nasty

accident coz it's sort of good old ride ever i see on your 'lisebergs' pov; i love that speed! thanks Robb & Elissa. hope you'll have got more povs yeah and this site gets more fun for all thrill seekers.

• 1 month later...

There's a short press release here (in swedish) with a rendered picture in it.

The press release doesn't say much except that it will be located in "the middle of Lisebergbanan" and it will open when the park opens on 28th april 2007. Judging from the picture it will be located on the mountain side in the middle of Lisebergbanans three helixes. The green thingies in foreground and in the background represents Lisbergbanans track.

I was hoping for another coaster, but I guess they don't have the space for that yet

EDIT: It's the 32-person model

well, looks like another reason for R&E to goto liseberg again next year! I was wondering when this park would get a new little toy. It looks like it'll be a new type of screamin swing that doesnt have floors for the seats, instead it'll be more like an inverted coaster. On all the previous ones there were platforms for peoples feet.

-Tex

During a recent visit to the park I had a tour by the technical director and he said that to get another coaster they would have to remove one as they don't have the space. I like all their coasters so don't know what I'd sacrifice.

Maybe a "Mountain Glider" like the one their building in Walibi Belgium is a good idea? They just need a few places to put up the giant supports and the station, the track can fly over the rest of the park. But then again i don't know if these coasters are any good becouse they still have to get the one at WBB working. Just an idea...

(100th post yay!)