TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ This is what I heard. El Paso only has Westermn Playland amusement park and there was talk about El Paso getting a Six Flags. So before they built a Six Flags here, Six Flags sent a fair to El Paso to see how buisness was. It's 2 years later and nothing yet. I want a Six Flags.

By the way, I like your avatar!

The now defunct "Haunted Mansion" knock-off at Parmount's Kings Island. What was it called? "Phantom Theater" or something like that. All I know is, when I was a kid, that ride freak'n rocked.

I'm a big fan of "Alice In Wonder" at DLR also. If anyone see's Alice, ask her why she hasn't returned any of my phone calls? At what's with the restraining order? Wasn't I good to you baby

Haunted Mansion will always be my favorite darkride.

It's strange. I've had a fascination with darkrides, even though I've mostly been too scared to go on many of them.

I also really enjoyed the darkrides from the old days of EPCOT, Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Journey into Imagination. I'm happy that Spaceship Earth's still around...for now.

Doug "You never know what the short-sighted, cost-cutting folks at the Disney Company will decide to butcher next" Booth

Another (maybe unimaginative) vote for Spidey. Unlike CoasterFanatic, I find its amazing level of detail makes for real rerideability...

Runners-up would be ROTM (USF), which is great but lacks Spidey's scale and amazement, and - well, maybe it's not strictly a "dark ride," but even if you took away the shooting, MIB would be one of the most impressive, wittiest indoor rides ever...

• 2 months later...

I dont know about you guys but im really into dark rides. They are soo much fun and they offerquite a different experience from any other type of ride in a theme/amusement park. But what gets me is why not too many parks still install them? I have been fortunate enough to have gone on some pretty good dark rides like The brand new Treasure Hunt down at myrtle Beach Pavilion (must not moving the park since they just added a new ride! ) which was totally awesome and fun, another one at myrtle beach which is the haunted hotel which I thought was gonna be a tad bit more gruesome but it was still fun none the least, Monster Plantation down at Six Flags over Georgia which is, in my opinion, one of the BEST and original dark rides out there, Blazin' Fury over at Dollywood which has some very funny (and ugly) animatronics and cool effects, Scooby Doo's Haunted Mansion at Paramount's Carowinds is pretty good but it seem a tad bit "generic", Spidey down at IOA is what I would consider the second generation of dark rides and very well done, and of course all the dark rides down at Disney World that basically made disney what it is today!

I know im not the only one out there who has that **Special** love for the dark rides out there!

Jarvis "who keeps a dark ride count before a coaster count " Morant

P.S. If anyone is interested I have footage of the Treasure Hunt at Myrtle Beach and Monster Plantation over at SFoG (also have footage of the haunted hotel at myrtle beach but it was a tad but too dark in there!)

I agree, I love dark rides! Spiderman is just great,it has one of the most powerful endings of any ride. The Cat In The Hat is another one that I really like. The spinning couches add a unique twist to the ride. Shooting dark rides can be really fun too. Sally Corp can make some good and cardboard-cutouts-shooting-darkrides-that-are-copied-as-much-as-Vekoma SLC's, darkrides. The really good ones they have made are Labyrinth of the Minotaur and Challenge of Tutankhamon. Vekoma as we all know can make some painful coasters(except Roller Skaters!) But they can make a darkride that I want to go on and have more of these in the US. It is called a Madhouse,it tricks you into thinking you are going upsidown! For info on many of the madhouse's,how they work and some very good videos of them(Check out Villa Volta's mainshow video,Villa Volta has one of the best soundtracks of any ride! ) Go to www.madhouseguide.com

Frank "I like darkrides too!" Melgeorge

P.S. Where did you find that video of the guy kicking the old lady?!

It's so funny!

I like darkrides, but the companies that do it the best are Universal and Disney. Other dark rides at other parks tend to be very cheesy, terrible, or just look really cheap. The Haunted House at Knoebel's is one of the best dark rides outside the major theme parks that I've ridden.

Besides, there are other things to do at parks besides coasters. Yes, it's true! Don't faint!

I love dark rides. My favorite is Definately Monster Plantation. It was hilarious. But I heard a rumor they might retheme it to something stupid. My favorite indoor darkride/coaster is Blazing Fury.That small thing packs some forces! It's themeing is awesome, too. How many drops does it have? Anybody have any drawings? Track Layout? That'd be cool.

You know what, the funny thing is that in my latest issue of "Roller Coaster!" they have a behind-the-scenes look at blazing fury that shows the track diagram!

Jarvis "I guess joining ACE is a good idea!" Morant

Dark rides, if done right, are just as fun as coasters in my opinion. I was a dark ride fan way before I was a coaster enthusiast, having grown up on the classics at Disneyland. Rides like Peter Pan, Mr. Toad's, Haunted Mansion and even Snow White are some of my favorites at the park. Spiderman at IoA is in my favorites list as well. While ToT is a drop ride, it has dark ride elements and I count that as one of my favorites also.

The only dark rides I can't stand are stupid Haunted Houses like the one at Knoebels and SCBB. Crap!

Justin

p.s.

The dude kicking the other dude in your sig is hilarious!

I love Dark Rides! My favorite would have to be the Scooby Doo one at Fiesta Texas.

^Justin, I agree the one at Santa Cruz really sucks!!!

There was one in Georgia we went on also that really was bad...can't remember the name of it now...

Kristi "dark rides are fun if you are with someone you love!! " C.

I think liability is a big factor as to why there are not more dark rides. Ever since Great Adventure's walk-through ride burned down (subsequently killing like 8 people), I think parks have had some trouble installing dark rides. Just recently have parks started building them at a rage.

-kip-