TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

National Amusement Devices Trains

What are these trains like to ride in, are they quite rough or are they smooth like PTC trains...?

Could NAD trains be used on say "Timber Wolf" or "Raven" type of coaster layout.

They do look quite wonderful and I would use this type of train if I owned a Coaster.

What remaining coasters use these trains today..?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll answer your questions first, these trains are really luxurious when it comes to coaster trains. They are really the Rolls Royce of coaster trains, but they're much heavier than PTC trains, so they can tend to be more rough, but IMO it means more fun! The trains won't work on coasters like The Raven, but I'm not sure. The only coasters I know that use them are the Thunderbolt (Kennywood) and the Blue Streak (Conneaut Lake Park) and their track designs are rather "sprawled" out, meaning that the trains can't handle tight turns like The Raven.

Unfortunately, NAD has been out of business for a long time now and their trains are truely gems. Hopefully the parks that own these trains continue to use them.

Don't forget both the Big Dipper and Little Dipper at Camden Park use NAD Century Flyers, with the Little Dipper using the even more elusive Junior century flyer.

I beleive the Kiddie Coaster at Rye Playland is also a junior NAD Century Flyer. That one is a real elusive credit as they only allow adults on the ride during special events.

Valleyfair runs a NAD train on High roller but its a newer model, not quite like the Century Flyer.

Conneaut Lake Park actually took their NAD trains out of service then put even OLDER trains on the ride.

Though not a NAD the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake runs a NAD look-alike train.

NAD trains are three benchers so they aren't as good on the curves. The closest modern wood coaster train I can think of to an NAD train is a Vekoma train. They are three benchers, not so great on the curves and are very effective on the drops. Strangely the highlight of the KW Thunderbolt is the spaghetti bowl but they obviously had the gauge and radius figured out on that one when it was built.

From what I understand at Conneaut Lake, the NAD trains are just too heavy to run at this time based on the structure. While the Vettel train is much more rerideable, the NAD trains seat 8 more riders per dispatch. Along with the longer train and three bench seating the airtime is improved on the drops.

^

They've actualy decreased the length of the new/old train. It used to be 4 cars, but now it's only 3 cars. One might wonder about capacity, yet they're is able to afford the lost of the 4th car because of the park's attendance figures. Someday they'll have to upgrade it all so it can handle the loads the coaster was made for.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'll answer your questions first, these trains are really luxurious when it comes to coaster trains. They are really the Rolls Royce of coaster trains, but they're much heavier than PTC trains, so they can tend to be more rough, but IMO it means more fun! The trains won't work on coasters like The Raven, but I'm not sure. The only coasters I know that use them are the Thunderbolt (Kennywood) and the Blue Streak (Conneaut Lake Park) and their track designs are rather "sprawled" out, meaning that the trains can't handle tight turns like The Raven.

Unfortunately, NAD has been out of business for a long time now and their trains are truely gems. Hopefully the parks that own these trains continue to use them.

Is there a market for these???