Halloween Horror Nights XVI

Opening Night Photo TR Posted Page 28!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Halloween Horror Nights XVI

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:02 pm

First off, I want to say "THANK YOU" to TJ Mannarino, the Director of Art & Design at Universal Orlando, for the Q&A phone interview this morning.

We learned quite a bit about this year's event and how it differs from years past. TJ mentioned that while many of the mazes are taken from past HHN events, visitors from those years while they will remember some of the most memorable moments will also be treated with "new" features as well. It was great to hear that they are not just "bringing back old mazes" but bringing back popular themes with a new attitude. :devil:

TJ offered a great amount of information regarding how the event and shows are developed. "We close the show in October, take a break for about a month, and then get right back into it." Sounds like a job many of us would like to have! :P

Universal has also been "having a lot of fun with the website this year" as they have been updating the back stories of all the characters, mazes, and really setting the atmosphere for what you'll experience during the event. (See more details below)

From what TJ told us, it sounds as though this event will be quite a unique experience as new-comers to Halloween Horror Nights will get to encounter some of the event's greatest characters for the first time, and the die-hard fans will get to relive some of their favorite scares!

Theme Park Review's Halloween Horror Nights 16 Official "Meet" will be on Thursday, October 19th. If you are interested in meeting up with us, email robbalvey@themeparkreview.com for details!

Official updates can be found here:
http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/

ORLANDO, Fla. – Guests have cringed in fear at the sight of just one. This year there are four – and there is no escape. The Storyteller, The Director, The Caretaker and Jack are coming together for the first time to wreak havoc on guests at Halloween Horror Nights 16. They will permeate the haunted houses and shows, immersing guests in the most terrifying Halloween Horror Nights in the event’s history.

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando, the country’s largest and most elaborate Halloween celebration will return to the Universal Studios theme park for 19 select nights including Sept. 29-30, Oct. 6-8, 11-15, 19-22, 26-29, and 31.

“We have robbed the graves of Halloween Horror Nights past to create a new, more terrifying monster,” said TJ Mannarino, director of entertainment for Universal Orlando. “This year will be more intense and frightening than ever before, and the icons will dominate the entire event from haunted houses to shows…it’s their world.”

This year’s event will feature seven classic haunted houses from the past 15 years of horror with frightening new elements. New shows – including a Halloween version of Universal 360, and a new version of the popular “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” stage show will have guests writhing in fear.

Also this year, expect to see some frighteningly familiar scares in the streets, including the chainsaw drill team complete with precision routines and intimidating tactics, the rat lady being wheeled through the park in her coffin infested with brown rats, and zombies stalking the crowd on motorcycles, searching for the undead.

Seven terrifying houses will beckon guests as they navigate through Halloween Horror Nights 16:

Dungeon of Terror – Retold – Mysterious whispers call you deeper into the dungeon. This is the place where The Storyteller demands the undivided attention of her “guests” until her story has been told. Hint: There is no happily ever after.

Run: Hostile Territory – An underworld where guests can fulfill their most ghastly fantasies and where the innocent can be tortured, dismembered and killed. Choose your path but beware when the lights go out: the guests become the victims and nothing can save you.

Psychoscareapy – Maximum Madness – Shady Brook Hospital’s newest resident is about to take over. If you think you know insane, you don’t know Jack. Step inside an asylum where the big top has padded walls and the sideshow is death.

All Nite Die In – Take 2 – For The Director, film is forever but pain is everlasting. He takes you on a cinematic journey through classic horror movies. Grab your ticket and come face-to-face with film’s greatest evils.

Scream House – The Resurrection – Evil has risen again. Abandoned for years, this gothic mortuary contains the eternally tormented souls of The Caretaker’s victims. Aided by a cultish group of followers – your time has come.

Psycho Path: The Return of Norman Bates – There is vacancy once again at the legendary Bates Motel. Your eyes prove to be useless as your mind takes over and leads you through the macabre nightmares of a pathological killer named Norman Bates.

People Under The Stairs: Under Construction – Is it possible for a house to be haunted before it is even completed? Focusing on the group experience, rather than the individual’s, this house forces a party of guests to work together to uncover an escape route, or perish. Their destinies are not their own as they must place their faith in their leader, who is randomly selected. Wearing a lighted helmet, the leader must navigate his or her group through the black to investigate the skeletal form of a home so demented that even its incomplete walls bleed.

NEW 9/22/2006 - "Behind The Screams" Videos Posted:
http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/or ... reams.html

See you there!

--Robb

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:15 pm

I only go to Florida during HHN to make sure I'm able to see the event. I've been to 13,14, and 15 and I should be able to make it out to this one.

I hope they go for that long-rumored "extreme house".
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Cheesey » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:52 am

What exactly is this "long rumored" extreme house?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:00 am

It was basically the predecessor to the Fear Factor Show. A house you would pay more money for, but that would really be 'XTREME'! Stunts, people grabbing you, stuff to eat and thrown at you, etc.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am

thats too much for me! I would get soo pissed if that stuff messed up my hair! Also has anyone heard anything about the hollywood version. Come to think of it...I haven't really heard anything about it even when it was "alive". Was it themed like orlando's or just random stuff?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:07 am

I didn't realize that much was known about the planned but failed extreme haunted house. The only thing I knew was that you would have had to wear a harness for parts of the floor that would fall out from under you, and that the scenery/actors would be only for die-hard horror fans. When you mention all that stuff, I can see how it would be a problem opening it up.

They should really go for at least a considerably scarier haunted house. While I love the effects and scenery of the houses, I haven't been truly scared since I first went in 2001 (XI) in the 'Pitch Black' haunted house. remember that one? Eeeeeek....
-Sean C.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 am

Pitch Black was one of my all time favorite mazes!

From what I have heard the Hollywood version was never as good as Florida's which seems odd because they have SOOO much potential. Should be interesting to see what they come up with this year.

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 am

I wasn't planning on going down this year (lack of vacation days and the luck of always bringing hurricanes to attack me), but if the theme is really cool, I just may have to do it for a weekend. I just hope the Express Passes aren't too much money!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:15 am

last year i wasted my money on the express pass...there was no lines for anything! I went on a thursday or friday night (cant really remember) and I used my express pass only for one house and spidey and hulk. everything else was basically a walk on and walk thru!
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:20 am

I had to go on a weekend and the expresses came in handy for all but two houses (which later had lines and we got a second walk through) It's worth it if you go on a really busy day. I rember during XIII in "Ship of Screams" the line was like 2 hours, and it wasn't even the main house that year!
-Sean C.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!