Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

This thread hasn't had any new listings in a while, but I thought since park season is in full swing I figured I'd give it a bump. I've previously listed a couple of spots near Kings Island, but a relative newcomer to the area is Two Cities Pizza, which is probably my favorite pizza spot in southwestern Ohio. As the name suggests, they've got both Chicago and NY style pizzas on the menu, and both are delicious, if not truly "authentic". They're at 202 W. Main Street, Mason OH, about 10 minutes from the park. Oh, and make sure you check out the bathrooms!

o.jpg

636147998350289496-twocitiespizza3.JPG

photo3jpg.jpg

The famous bathroom is inside of a subway train!

Being that Michael is in a hospital in Erie with a blood infection (where he is currently in serious, but stable condition) I ventured over to Presque Isle around the Waldameer area during the past couple of days when Michael was resting to have a couple of comfort food hot dogs. I would then go for a power walk on the PI walking/biking trail to de-stress and walk off the food before heading back to the hospital.

These are both two good places to eat if you don't want to eat in the park!

20180608_134733_resized.jpg.fd4c8908c0550314e08c749c85518ec2.jpg

This is a foot long chili dog from Sara's with just about everything imaginable for toppings on it.

The curly fries had Buffalo Chicken mayo on them as well as some type of seasoning that escapes me now...maybe garlic ranch? They have TONS of seasonings and toppings that you can add to your meal in a self-serve area at no extra cost, which is cool. They also have a few Coke Free-Style machines if you're into that sort of thing.

With that said, they have great food and their prices are reasonable - but they can get very busy, so avoid weekends and the dinner rush if you can. The drive-thru intertwines through the parking lot, which can get easily congested and crazy when they are busy!

20180613_154400_resized.jpg.536fd83612c521a06d9ff712ca7d39b6.jpg

Yesterday I tried Schickalay's On The Bay, which is right across the street from Waldameer's parking lot. They don't seat indoors, so I grabbed a table outside and tried to endure the 30+ MPH wind gusts!

For all you Sheetz fans...yes, that is what you see across the street and to the right. lol

20180613_154619_resized.thumb.jpg.4b5af0619b48de3c78fe38a34911baa1.jpg

Beer list.

No liquor, but they have Southern Tier 2X IPA, so there is no need for liquor. ;-)

20180613_155026_resized.thumb.jpg.1623fe0f1491e65e0d65e5777878d702.jpg

This is apparently one of Erie's claim to fame - The Greek Dog.

Basically seasoned ground beef with cheese sauce and onions. And of course, the obligatory fries.

20180613_155630_resized.thumb.jpg.6d7df937d0a8477c2d3d01ee8dae5454.jpg

Things got messy in a hurry, but it was really good!

20180613_160411_resized.thumb.jpg.f4fedd0b54cb3240669aefa390270e19.jpg

Holy sh%t! I can't eat at McDonalds that cheap...and get a high ABV beer to boot?

I will be going back soon to try one of their Greek Gyros, which I hear are also really good!

This place is recommended if you want to leave the park for a bit, tip a couple of beers and enjoy some of Erie's "ethnic" food choices!

Of note - both places use Smith's hot dogs which are 100% beef and locally made. They are the only hot dogs that I will buy at Wegmans anymore because they are soooo good!

So you've been to Playland in Vancouver, and ridden Coaster until your body can't take it any more.

Now you want to get some food that's i.e. Really Canadian, etc. How about.....poutine?

Basically it's fries with gravy and cheese curds all over and in them. And...it's soooooo good!

This is my fave poutine spot, which is easily a five minute walk from my home.

From Playland, it's two busses to get there, or less than a 15 minute drive....easy!

http://www.belgianfries.ca

My Fave 5 Poutines from their menu: Galvaude Chicken; Beefsteak; Deluxe; Kubideh; Butter Chicken.

begianfries-Galvaude.jpg.d4422ba4531aa4db1f7f1bc433a9ff77.jpg

This is a fave poutine of mine ~ Chicken thighs and sweet green peas

cooked to perfection and served on a classic poutine: Chicken Galvaude.

belgianfries.jpg.c2438b294cba9cca8f8023f3930d19c5.jpg

belgianfries-SmokeBeef.jpg.d6e1913fddb6fb8cdb69a645ee9d9242.jpg

Another good one ~ Authentic Montreal smoked beef

shredded and served on a classic poutine. Yum!

I admittedly haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I repeat anything, but a few from the Orlando area for ya...

-Just outside Universal on Kirkman Road is a great Venezuelan joint called Arepas de Cacao (or something along those lines) that serves huge, authentic arepas that are amazing. Next door is also one of the best burgers you’ll ever eat, Colombian Burger.

-Also down the street from Universal along Vineland Road is a great little hole in the wall Mexican joint called Border Grill.

-Down the opposite way from Universal, Gyu Kaku is a pretty great Korean bbq place on Turkey Lake Road...you pay for your meat and cook it on a grill in the middle of the table.

-Somewhat between Universal and Disney (maybe <10 minutes from Uni, <15 from Disney) on Dr Phillips Blvd is a great collection of restaurants called Dr Phillips Marketplace...BarTaco is where you go for small plates style tacos, LemonShark for made-to-order poke bowls, and Flame Kebob for Middle Eastern fare (there’s also a great Lebanese place called Habibi down Metrowest Blvd <10 minutes from Universal property

-The area immediately surrounding Disney has mostly chains in my experience, as it’s much less local than Universal’s location. I will say that Sea Dog Brewery practically across the street from Disney Springs is a great brewery with a 10pm happy hour that’s the best bang for your buck in the area.

• 1 month later...

Jake's Place in Ashland less than 15min from King's Dominion.

Vintage gas station refurbished as a BBQ joint. Sampled the pulled pork, brisket, and ribs. I often like vinegary BBQ but wasn't a fan of their vinegar sauce so didn't go that way for the pork. Their sweet sauce was simple and solid. Brisket fantastic, ribs and pork decent.

Really cool place to check out, great history, friendly people. Nice variety of interesting beers on tap. I will get a few photos posted, they're on my partner's phone as mine wasn't on me.

Also just had a KICKASS visit to KD. Park was dead Wed due to intermittent showers. Backrow night ride on TT watching an otherwise empty train was surreal. Thu was a bit more lively but still NO lines.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ I read about Portillo's so much before the 2016 WCB at SFMM and Knott's,

and then totally forgot about going to the one by Knott's....

Maybe next September, another try to go there?

Portillos.jpg.cb6c0947ccf3347f7cfd8b8b0f776a53.jpg

• 1 year later...

Has it ever been considered making a version of this thread for good eats inside a theme park? The park discussion threads have some food information, but you really have to go digging for it unless you're talking about something like cinnamon bread at Dollywood.