TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I actually didn't notice the flat turn halfway throught the coaster untill that video, looks funny.

I'm still waiting for that front faced onride, maybe this weekend?

The ride looks like it will be fun, really hope to make it to AT this summer and try it out.

I actually didn't notice the flat turn halfway throught the coaster untill that video, looks funny.

I'm still waiting for that front faced onride, maybe this weekend?

The ride looks like it will be fun, really hope to make it to AT this summer and try it out.

There have been some front facing on ride POVs floating around the internet. I believe one was uploaded by The Sun newspaper. I haven't watched them as I don't want to spoil it for when I ride it for real, so I don't have a link I can provide you with unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had two rides on this last week the second was at the end of the day just after a large shower and I can confirm it hauls ass when the track is wet seriously good fun and looks spectacular as well the wickerman looks great close up

Hi everyone!

My friend and I are planning on visiting the park in early July after a day at Blackpool and flying to Gothenburg the day after Alton.

Any tips for hotel stays in the Alton area/best use of public transport to get to the park?

We're broke college students so the cheapest options are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

First buses (https://www.firstgroup.com/potteries/plan-journey/alton-towers) run A (singular) bus from Stoke-on-trent rail station in the morning (0930) and one back in the evening (1720). Having had the misfortune of using this before, they don't wait for you. If you're in a queue, or on a ride, tough luck, you're getting an (expensive) taxi back to Stoke. Considering they're UK's premier park, the public transport options are laughable really.

Your best bet for accomodation might be a travelodge or other chain (premier inn, holiday inn) in Stoke centre, because I don't think the on-site hotels are a) in your price range, b)worth the money. There are B&B's in Alton, but you'd need somewhere to stay the night before because the only buses are in the morning. Booking.com is a good place to check.

Judging on how the season is going so far (take a look at the last 20-odd pages of this thread for some insight), be prepared to either not get on anywhere near everything you want, or fork out for a fasttrack, have to wait an hour in the fasttrack queue, and still not get on everything you want.

Don't even think about using Public Transport to get all the way to the park. It's an utter joke. When I say an utter joke, I mean it takes 1.5 hours to go 15 KM, and will get you to the park at least an hour after opening time, leaving an hour before closing time. And you'll miss early admission benefits, which are crucial. An utter joke.

Do get a cheap hotel in a close by city, served by a rail station, booked as soon as you can. Splurge on a Taxi.

I was able to share a taxi ride with another family on the way back last year from the park to Stoke-on-Trent, where I took trains to Manchester in the evening, then Blackpool in the morning, but I had to be flexible on travel and ask around at the Taxi stand whom was going to a city served by rail. I would think it's better to have your Rail/Bus travel booked early for the savings, then just do a taxi to and from the park as the most convenient (if unfortunate) expense.

• 3 months later...

So I had my first experience with Alton Towers a week ago. I really wanted to review the park because it impressed me, 4 hours in and only seen half the park it made me want to visit it again.

The rides I came for where the roller coasters though and not all did impress me. (These are in no order):

Runaway Mine Train: Was what I expected of it a little under-themed.

Spinball Whizzer: Fun little ride.

Rita: I rode Desert Race pretty much the same just the ending on Desert Race is better.

So those where the coasters that kinda fel in line with expectations. The Secret Weapons, which I looked forward to the most, surprised me all, not all in the good way though:

Oblivion: The first Dive coaster so expectations where very low on this one but that speed in that tunnel put a smile on my face. I wished we could hung a little longer though it almost felt like we went straight in.

Galactica: For years I wanted to do a Flying coaster, that position your in hanging from your stomach just looked weird and I wanted to try that. I didn't like how the park handled the operations on this ride both stations open and one train per station caused a very slow traffic queue also keeping entire rows empty on a run didn't help neither did keeping half the train VR and the other half not, why not one station VR the other not? That said I did have a lot of fun on my first flying coaster it was a ride experience I couldn't prepare myself for.

Th13teen: I really felt like this ride was held back form being better, I refer here to the trim-brake on the first drop Instant ride killer if you ask me. It made it a family coaster with a "horror" theme that didn't feel right.

Smiler: This ride surprised me the most. I expected inversion after inversion to get boring, but the fact that you don't repeat one inversion for more then 2 times in a row really helped the ride stand out as one I was glad to ride. Also I loved the queue being under the ride, I love coaster interaction so that had me instantly.

Wicker Man: I loved the preshow but I hated that they needed to cram it so full. After the preshow you have a small queue for going to the train and that small line couldn't handle that many people what just hold everything up for the next group to arrive. Whit this being my fourth GCI I did expect some more friendly roughness to the ride, I love how the other 3 just toss me around making their ride feel wild but this one didn't deliver that aspect as much as I like it to do. That said I still think it's a solid ride.

Nemesis: I wanted to safe Nemesis for the last ride to review. Nemesis has a reputation of being one of the greatest coasters out there. I can't say I agree. I thought Nemesis was a solid ride but that's it. Right now it's in the top 10 steel coaster of my on spot 10 and it's not the only B&M inverted in the top 10, on spot 8 I have Black Mamba. Now the only thing I have to add to that is that I only rode it once early (around opening hours) So maybe I shouldn't judge to hard. My question is: is it a lot better after 1 P.M.? If so I promise the next chance I have I will ride it later on the day.

I did manage to ride a couple of other rides with Hex being a major stand-out. It really helped that it was part of the towers.

The park felt pretty big though sometimes without any real shortcuts so walking was part of the day. Also the gardens, although beautiful, was something we ended up regretting going through. I underestimated the amount of elevation difference the park really had, stairs so much stairs.

Overall I had a lot of fun this visit and look forward to a next one in the future.

Edit*: Made it easier to read.

Edited by RCT3Bross

With Merlin's cut backs, operations have certainly been tighter which is a shame considering the park has historically always had efficient operations.

On Wicker Man, the trains were being starved of guests in the station as they had not got the pre show batching right, so are still in the middle of finding the balance.

Like most coasters, Nemesis does warm up throughout the day, but is generally a consistent ride wherever you sit.

You can cut down on the walking by using the Skyride, but appreciate it has been down a lot lately due to 'the heat'.. hmm.

With Merlin's cut backs, operations have certainly been tighter which is a shame considering the park has historically always had efficient operations.

On Wicker Man, the trains were being starved of guests in the station as they had not got the pre show batching right, so are still in the middle of finding the balance.

Like most coasters, Nemesis does warm up throughout the day, but is generally a consistent ride wherever you sit.

You can cut down on the walking by using the Skyride, but appreciate it has been down a lot lately due to 'the heat'.. hmm.

I figured that was the cut backs that caused the Galactica problem. It was such a shame because by then I had not felt it anywhere. Nemesis ran 2 trains, Smiler had constantly a train in the station, Oblivion at people and Th13teen had 3 trains. So a huge contrast came when riding Galactica. The only major drawback at that time was that some ride didn't open untill 11:00 like Galactica.

While I understant Wicker Man being new and there for the right balance has to be found, they should have seen after 2 3 groups that they could make the groups smaller with about 5 to 10 people and have it flow more. I'm sure they figure it out though.

So that was Nemisis. Like I said I think it's a solid ride but after riding it I didn't understand all the hype around the ride anymore.

We thought about taking the Skyride but each time we looked the ride was hanging on one spot. So we figured walking would be quicker. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Nemesis: I wanted to safe Nemesis for the last ride to review. Nemesis has a reputation of being one of the greatest coasters out there. I can't say I agree. I thought Nemesis was a solid ride but that's it. Right now it's in the top 10 steel coaster of my on spot 10 and it's not the only B&M inverted in the top 10, on spot 8 I have Black Mamba. Now the only thing I have to add to that is that I only rode it once early (around opening hours) So maybe I shouldn't judge to hard. My question is: is it a lot better after 1 P.M.? If so I promise the next chance I have I will ride it later on the day.

After my first visit earlier this year, I have to say that I sort of share the same opinion with you. While Nemesis is a fantastic and a very intense ride, I don't think it is one of the best coasters out there. It isn't even the best coaster at Alton Towers, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good ride, but just not as good as everyone says. Maybe this is an excellent example of an overhyped coaster??

Also, just like you, I prefer Black Mamba over Nemesis.

After my first visit earlier this year, I have to say that I sort of share the same opinion with you. While Nemesis is a fantastic and a very intense ride, I don't think it is one of the best coasters out there. It isn't even the best coaster at Alton Towers, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good ride, but just not as good as everyone says. Maybe this is an excellent example of an overhyped coaster??

Also, just like you, I prefer Black Mamba over Nemesis.

I think it's a great ride but nowhere near #1 anything really.

The fact it's literally cut into the rock makes it pretty cool for me, it's pretty unique due to that by itself!

Oooooh I love the opportunity to pile on to the group by adding that The Smiler is far and away the best coaster at Alton, and Nemesis is way overhyped. It has its intense moments, but its really short. Batman is a Superior attraction, as is Black Mamba. And almost all of the bigger inverts.

But all Inverts are fudging great! It's the best multi-looper product line out there IMO.

• 1 month later...

If you want to experience the disappointment of reduced operating hours, mothballed rides, closed quick-service restaurants and staff cutbacks, then you can now stay in a star gazing shed for just £88-123 a night. It includes breakfast in a bag.

40790530_2111908152212951_4129048272654303232_n.jpg.668d63475ec11ae8794a2727ca5eb3a9.jpg

Photo: TowersStreet

40797674_2111908292212937_2121722910899961856_n.thumb.jpg.d2d95fbad99675ef1857b919af046ce1.jpg

40848419_2111908722212894_3703453190130237440_n.thumb.jpg.0caa4041fbeeefd45244366e60489bfb.jpg

It looks like Alton Towers is adding a Dungeon attraction to the park! There's not much information yet but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out!

atdungeon-logo.jpg.a57a730f9074f69f7eb296dfceba9aca.jpg

https://www.altontowers.com/theme-park/dungeon/

Miss it and you'll be gutted!

#LaughandScream2019

#AltonDungeon

It seems Merlin are going balls-deep with their unique brand of dystopian theme park misery. I think they have adopted the opposite business model to Disney where instead of their parks being the happiest places on earth, they're the most miserable. I think it makes sense to incorporate what is essentially their own IP into the parks, though, while increasing their portfolio of Dungeons. We've seen it with Sealife and I'm sure we'll see it more with the Dungeons.