TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I was super excited to see the giant arcade during my visit earlier this year, but was very disappointed that many of the games (especially the more classic ones) were not functional (or marked as such) or well maintained... I'd be curious to see what this space ends up being used for if the arcade is truly being cleared out.

Texascoaster89

Negative, I live here currently and the forecast was beautiful for the whole weekend. I was pleasantly surprised as well at the crowd level!

Did you move from Texas?

This weekend is normally the busiest weekend of the year.

Ooof, I'm planning a crazy weekend road trip out this weekend. How bad is it? We'll be at the park all day Saturday, having arrived late Friday, and leaving early Sunday (before park open) We're shooting for 90 minute waits on Non-SteVe flagship coasters. As long as we can get on MF, TTD, Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Magnum we'll be happy.

Definitely get here Friday as early as possible. Saturday should be busy with the season winding down. It's going to be chilly (mid 50's as highs) so bring warm clothes as the humidity on the peninsula makes it feel colder! That also means the rides will run a big sluggish until they get warmed up, so save judgements until the evening Otherwise, have fun and hopefully you're able to get on everything you want to ride!

^That is actually quite smart. I think I would prefer this location over the previous one that is on the back of the seat in front of me (which can be quite far away in certain rows). I hope this works out for them and hopefully Cedar Point and other RMCs follow suit.

Ditto! It's actually the intelligent way to handle the cell phone situation, and one that should have been implemented right away, rather than how they handled it banning them entirely. However, I suspected that we'd always end up with something like this long-term, as it's a much more guest friendly way to handle the situation. I'll definitely be interested in seeing whether CP follows suit with SV, and I'm guessing they will, and hope that's in place by next season!

I'm with Zach on the belief that this is from their lack of trust of people to not pull out their phone during the ride to take video for social media. Secured cargo pockets aren't going to fail. I'm guessing that's also why the pouches are in a spot that's virtually impossible to reach during the ride, rather than on the seat in front of you.

I was super excited to see the giant arcade during my visit earlier this year, but was very disappointed that many of the games (especially the more classic ones) were not functional (or marked as such) or well maintained... I'd be curious to see what this space ends up being used for if the arcade is truly being cleared out.

I had the same experience when we were trying to play classic video games a few years ago during a ridiculously crowded Halloweekends. I think that I lost close to $5 on games where I would throw in the quarters and it would do nothing, or one of the buttons or joysticks wouldn't work right.

Oh well, good riddance...I hope that they get a cool dark ride in there to replace it.

I'm with Zach on the belief that this is from their lack of trust of people to not pull out their phone during the ride to take video for social media. Secured cargo pockets aren't going to fail. I'm guessing that's also why the pouches are in a spot that's virtually impossible to reach during the ride, rather than on the seat in front of you.

Yeah, but let's think further: Now you can have the phone with you - again - until you are directly at the train. I see no difference to the situation before. Who guarantees and checks that really all cell phones that were in line are going to the bags underneath the seats? You'd have to check everybody somehow, maybe with a phsycal check or with handy metal detectors. And that is what Robb supposed way, way ago what they could have done first hand to solve the problem.

Get me: I'm totally against the policy to give away the phone for a two hour line. But given the fact that they want no cell phone put out on the lift hill, I really see no improvement if not every person is checked individually. What could have, but isn't, been done the wohle time.

What I appreciate is, that it will be a bit more convenient for those who are not completely morons.

Yeah, but let's think further: Now you can have the phone with you - again - until you are directly at the train. I see no difference to the situation before. Who guarantees and checks that really all cell phones that were in line are going to the bags underneath the seats? You'd have to check everybody somehow, maybe with a phsycal check or with handy metal detectors. And that is what Robb supposed way, way ago what they could have done first hand to solve the problem.

Get me: I'm totally against the policy to give away the phone for a two hour line. But given the fact that they want no cell phone put out on the lift hill, I really see no improvement if not every person is checked individually. What could have, but isn't, been done the wohle time.

What I appreciate is, that it will be a bit more convenient for those who are not completely morons.

The operators that pull down your laps bars are also doing a visual scan to check for phones on your person. It's not foolproof, but they were pretty damn good at catching people with phones in their pockets when I was at KD in August. I would also like a more efficient way like the wands they use in Japan, but considering today's phones are as big as tablets, it's fairly difficult to conceal one.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

So now they are closing rides?

Likely due to staffing issues. Windseeker and Sky Ride because they'll shut down with just a lick of wind.

Others are upcharge and there are two Antique Car rides in the park.

Not surprised to see this at all.

Yeah, but let's think further: Now you can have the phone with you - again - until you are directly at the train. I see no difference to the situation before. Who guarantees and checks that really all cell phones that were in line are going to the bags underneath the seats? You'd have to check everybody somehow, maybe with a physical check or with handy metal detectors. And that is what Robb supposed way, way ago what they could have done first hand to solve the problem.

The operators that pull down your laps bars are also doing a visual scan to check for phones on your person. It's not foolproof, but they were pretty damn good at catching people with phones in their pockets when I was at KD in August. I would also like a more efficient way like the wands they use in Japan, but considering today's phones are as big as tablets, it's fairly difficult to conceal one.

I totally get you and I think this procedure is far better then the ridiculous phone ban before. I appreciate it.

I just thought of their goal "No phone on the ride". And my opinion is, that this goal is not achievable with this new procedure. So I'm curious why they changed it (to something they could've done way before). Otherwise: The bags, connected with an immediate ban from all CF parks for a year if you put your phone out an a ride, wuold be perfection.

But as far as I understood it's just implemented at Twisted Timbers in KD yet, so let's wait if Steel Vengeance copies it after all.

I went quite a few times this summer and wait times were never that long. I get the love for halloweekends and the way the park is decorated for halloween. I am amazed how so many people choose to go to the park now versus in the summer when its warmer and not as crazy as a Saturday in October.

Yeah, I don't go to the park in Saturdays in October, especially since I'm spoiled with no wait on Tuesdays in May and June. Even when I've stayed the weekend at Breakers, I enjoy the park on Friday and Sunday, and go to Put In Bay or Kelley's Island on Saturday.

Many people forget to zipper the pockets on their shorts.

[sarcasm] Isn't this the purpose of the ride OPs? Control your pockets and zip them for you if you forgot it? [/sarcasm]

Entirely possible.

[sarcasm] Isn't this the purpose of the ride OPs? Control your pockets and zip them for you if you forgot it? [/sarcasm]

You mock me, but I've been told numerous times by ride operators to secure my pockets. So yes, that is something they do.

Not going to lie. I've done that once or twice and was thankful that nothing fell out.

Not going to lie. I've done that once or twice and was thankful that nothing fell out.

I only mention it because I've done it too and have ridden with many people who have gotten off a ride and realized the same.