Photo TR: Kings Island Haunt, 2018

One of the best!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Photo TR: Kings Island Haunt, 2018

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:14 pm

I'll try to keep this thread updated as I visit Haunt this year. Kings Island Haunt is one of the best Haunt events I've been to, and you can never get enough pictures of Kings Island at night during Haunt!

September 29th
My boyfriend and I were to meet up with DILinator and his kids. We took our time leaving the house and Walmart Subway REALLY took their time making our horrible sandwiches (I'm a Subway snob and I will NEVER eat at Walmart Subway again!), so although the park opened for Haunt at 6, we didn't make it until around 7:30.
IMG_1010.jpg
Nothing like the atmosphere of KI during Haunt
IMG_1016.jpg
Just a couple weirdos at Haunt
IMG_1022.jpg
In case you already forgot where you were

We made our way to Flight of Fear to meet up with the crew, and I snapped some pics of the scarezones along the way. The scarezones don't officially open until dark, but there is still plenty to see!
IMG_1025.jpg
Wasteland was a returning scare zone in the area that leads to Banshee
IMG_1027.jpg
Foggy Banshee and Delirium
IMG_1032.jpg
Coney Maul: a new scare zone this year
IMG_1033.jpg
OOOooo
IMG_1035.jpg
Wolf man, or something
IMG_1036.jpg
Psychic tells me that Firehawk's future is grim
IMG_1042.jpg
"We all float [up] here... and you'll float too!"
IMG_1038.jpg
"Hey! HEY! Eye see you up there! Just what in the name do you kids think you're doing?"
IMG_1041.jpg
I made sure to take this picture after Jack had already popped and went back down.
IMG_1044.jpg
Pumpkin Eater was a new scare zone this year.
IMG_1047.jpg
This new scarezone looked amazing during day and night!
IMG_1049.jpg
I love this so so much. It's so grotesque and twisted.
IMG_1051.jpg
The midnight hour is close at hand!
IMG_1055.jpg
We found DILinator by Flight of Fear. I think he was hungry because of his Keto diet.

We met up with the crew and went to Flight of Fear. It's been a while since I had been on it, because riding KD's Flight of Fear last year kind of soured my opinion of KI FoF, but it's still a great ride and I forgot how much I loved it. It'll be great to get some more rides on it during WInterfest, but I probably won't prioritize it during Haunt.

After that, we of course wanted to ride the giga next door... oops, too soon? ;) Read: say goodbye to Firehawk. It definitely seemed more popular than it was before the announcement. It also pulled a, "That's SO Firehawk," and decided to break down while we were waiting. DILinator and his kids took off to go ride Banshee and Bat while my boyfriend and I decided to check out the new Haunt, C.H.A.O.S.

C.H.A.O.S. is a replacement for Board 2 Death, an infamous RAWKIN_coaster Haunt maze, because I panicked and dipped out of it when I saw a scary animatronic the first time we went in it (Read: RAWKIN_coaster does not like scary animatronics). C.H.A.O.S. did not have any scary animatronics, so it was a "safe" maze. The premise is there is a corporation testing a chemical to help humans travel to space but it actually makes people go insane, or something like that. CarnEvil is gone this year (RIP), and C.H.A.O.S. reused the spinning room and funhouse mirrors from CarnEvil. It was a disorienting maze, but I wouldn't say it was all that scary. However, being amid the infamous Haunt "Conga-line" definitely detracted from this maze, and the scareactors didn't seem to be at their best either. To get the most out of this maze, I would suggest going to the maze early or letting some people go ahead of you so you can go through the maze without just mindlessly following the people ahead of you.

We saw that Firehawk was back open, so I texted DILinator before we put our phones in the ...you know what... and we got in line. I really do love Firehawk, and our 2nd-row night ride did not disappoint!
IMG_1053.jpg
Would you brave a giant bony spider to get a drink?

After a little Coke Freestyle break, DILinator and the kids met up with us and we rode Firehawk again, this time in the 2nd-to-back. Again, the ride did not disappoint. We shed a quiet tear for Firehawk, took some pictures, and moved on.
IMG_1057.jpg
Aww, how cute.
IMG_1059.jpg
Your days are numbered
IMG_1095.jpg
Goodbye, Firehawk. :'(

At this point, I wanted a beer from the KI "bar," (Read: most awesome bartender at KI/possibly only bartender at KI) and DILinator wanted a "Keto-diet friendly" drink. After procuring these, we hit up a couple of the food trucks before the Haunted Homecoming show, when DILinator and kids said, "Nah, Diamondback," and left us again.

New this year, Haunted Homecoming replaced Hot Blooded, my all-time-favorite Haunt show [that isn't at Knott's Berry Farm]. I had pretty low expectations for it, but I still wanted to see it. Haunted Homecoming kind of made no sense, but it was still entertaining and had plenty of sexy women and awesome costumes. 9 out of 10 I would do the TIme Warp with them again, but I still liked Hot Blooded better.
IMG_1070.jpg
Haunted Homecoming had some really weird dance numbers, but it was really catchy!
IMG_1084.jpg
"I'm Hot Blooded! Hot Blooded!" Oh wait...

By then, we had one more hour of Haunt and we realized how few things we had actually done. There was no way we were going to miss a night ride on Beast, so we decided to hit up the closest two mazes to Beast, Cavern of Terror and Slaughterhouse.
IMG_1087.jpg
#ItsBigitsGone
IMG_1090.jpg
Pumpkin Eater did have a scary, well-hidden animatronic. Thankfully, DILinator warned me about it.
IMG_1091.jpg
I keep telling her to go see the eye doctor, but she never listens!

Slaughterhouse was the same as before. Bloody, but not all that scary. Cavern of Terror is in the former Tomb Raider building. We were shocked and pleased to find out that this year, "the madam decided to turn the lights out." Every third person gets a flashlight and must keep it aimed at the floor. I honestly am so impressed that KI chose to do this to add a new exciting slant to an otherwise dated maze. It definitely made the maze a lot more haunting! For those who don't know, this maze is based around a deranged wax museum. In the dark, you really couldn't tell which figures were real and which were wax. Very eerie. Also, there is a scary animatronic and yes, I ran.
IMG_1092.jpg
Hmmm... I wonder what this means?
IMG_1093.jpg
A Mystic Timbers Easter Egg. The boxes also had "1979" and "7359" as Beast references. Might there be other clues around this mysterious box? If there were, I didn't find them.

We met back up with DILinator and the kids at Beast, only to part ways again because we were waiting for the front. Managed to make it on the last train of the night, front row. Man, it never gets old!
IMG_1096.jpg
Best time to take pictures with this sign: 1 am + when you don't have to wait for others to move.
IMG_1099.jpg
Can't get enough of this sign
IMG_1112.jpg
Best time to take pictures with this sign: 1 am + when you don't have to wait for others to move.
IMG_1100.jpg
How did you get out of the shed?
387303_10395389.jpg
front-row night rides never get old
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Photo TR: Kings Island Haunt, 2018

Postby ratdogg68 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Great report, looks like a good Haunt.
Let the Riding begin

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the report - KI's haunt is a really good time.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Awesome pictures, and great review! Looking forward to more! Pumpkin Eater looks freaking amazing!

I'm sad I can't make it out there for Haunt, so I'm just going to live vicariously though you! :lol:
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Great report glad you enjoyed Haunt?

Help me. What was the big animatronic in Board 2 Death? I cannot remember but really enjoyed the dark humor aspect of that maze.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:45 am

Nice TR. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 am

Thank you for the support, everyone!
PKI Jizzman wrote:Great report glad you enjoyed Haunt?

Help me. What was the big animatronic in Board 2 Death? I cannot remember but really enjoyed the dark humor aspect of that maze.

The one that scared me was a creepy-looking rat or mouse thing in the Mousetrap room (I later learned when I went back, had no idea what it was supposed to be the first time).
The first time we went in the maze we were also some of the first ones in after they had evacuated the maze for an unknown reason. I thought it was really dark inside and I couldn't see, which added to my fear. At the time, I thought maybe some of the lights had gone out during the technical difficulties. Later, I realized the "darkness" was probably just my eyes not being adjusted to the dark of the maze after standing outside in the daylight.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:47 am

Nice report! I appreciate the Pokémon egg from Firehawk; currently walking that one. It'd better be a Kangaskhan. :lol:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 am

Great TR, RAWKIN! It was fun meeting up with you and your boyfriend again, and spending some more quality time at KI! Three straight years now, and I look forward to making it four next year! Sorry we couldn't do any Scare Mazes together this year, but hopefully by next year, the kids will be ready to venture in some!

BTW, I found your picture of "me" after my Keto diet VERY amusing! :lmao: Hopefully, it doesn't go that far! :lol:

Here is the on-ride photo from the kids first ride ever on The Beast, after you abandoned us for your amazing front row last ride of the night! ;)
549628_10395223.jpg
Like I said on the KI page, the kids were blown away! lol

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:08 am

Looks like a fun time! How were the ride lines?
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!