TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

Reconstruction of burned-down Europa-Park attraction has started

240918herbouw1.jpg.0c537a57f3dff74637e965af824a7c8b.jpg

Europa-Park has started the reconstruction of the Pirates in Batavia attraction, which was destroyed in May by a fire. The German theme park has let this know on social media. The Scandinavia themed area, which was also affected by the enormous fire, is being restored.

Pirates in Batavia opened in 1987. After the huge fire on 26th of May 2018, there was virtually nothing left of the iconic darkride. The management of Europa-Park has decided that the attraction will return, but with the technology of today.

The precise plans have not yet been announced. It is the intention that visitors can take a ride again in 2020. The Scandinavian part has to be finished next year. All blackened remains have been demolished in recent months and were removed.

The fire in Europa-Park was caused by a technical defect next to the rapids ride Fjord Rafting. The water attraction was reopened two weeks after the fire.

240918herbouw2.jpg.9bf6d8f1d865e89019fc4b9f1cc85709.jpg

Source

I rode the new Eurosat today and I wanted to share my experience. The new queueline and station is beautiful and much more spacious than before. The new trains are very comfortable and there seems to be a bit more room than before. The new track is much smoother than before and the new elements are great! The onboard soundtrack fits the ride perfectly and I love that they included a new version of the old one

However the soundtrack only worked one time out of the five times I rode it today... And all the effects after the lift was turned off. Apparently the park have done this because of the huge backlash they have gotten for the theming, the project team have been personally abused on social media! I hope they find a solution soon because the ride has great potential

I rode the new Eurosat today and I wanted to share my experience. The new queueline and station is beautiful and much more spacious than before. The new trains are very comfortable and there seems to be a bit more room than before. The new track is much smoother than before and the new elements are great! The onboard soundtrack fits the ride perfectly and I love that they included a new version of the old one

Thanks for the first-hand report. Do you know where they squeezed the station for the Coastality VR version of the ride? I understand it has two stations now?

Thanks for the first-hand report. Do you know where they squeezed the station for the Coastality VR version of the ride? I understand it has two stations now?

Yeah it’s at the back of the building next to Silver Star’s entrance

• 1 month later...

Europa Park plans to build 6km cable car from the park to... FRANCE

Europa Park has held a press conference to give details about 'Project S', a new cable car system that they are planning. If built, it will travel over the river Rhine, crossing the France-Germany border to either Rhinau or Diebolsheim in Alsace. The journey by cable car will be approximately 15 minutes. Currently over a million visitors to Europa Park are French, and 1500 employees commute from France every day.

On the French side it is planned that there will be a holiday village similar in style to Centre Parcs with accommodation in wooden cabins and car parking.

French president Emmanuel Macron has given his support for the project which has a timescale of around five years assuming plans are approved. One large hurdle to overcome is that the preferred route will cross Taubergießen, a large nature reserve near the River Rhine. Obviously a cable car is probably the least-destructive mass transit system that could be built, but there could still be objections.

More information:

SWR News: Cable car to cross the Rhine and the border (in German)

EP Fans: Press conference live stream (in German)

1541591693.jpg.6ce64c6519e9f828c608ef99b76c98d0.jpg

Project S. Image: EP Fans

1541591700.jpg.df4fa34eeaeb0c77c3705b53a28ee1d8.jpg

Press Conference. Image: EP Fans

DrUrkdtX0AAy2mO.thumb.jpg.1ad12c7d4b4c2885720bcd5f72178bb8.jpg

Preferred route (bottom), alternative route (top). Image: SWR News

1923409340_Sechs-Maenner-in-einem-prunkvollen-Zimmer1541581842438bild-mack-und-macron-europapark-sei-ahn-100__v-16x9-M_-9b77a8b857ec60d020a53cd4b3c103319acf5283.jpg.1a908723e210e814c8f3983cf750349f.jpg

Michael and Roland Mack (2nd and 3rd left) with Emmanuel Macron (French President, 4th from the left) with various French representatives. Image: SWR News

ep1.png.c0d6c1652bb9f1124dd4751db46bb2e8.png

There hasn't been an official press release, but the park's press office announced the cable car and the press conference on Twitter: "A dream was born: A Franco-German project will hopefully bring both countries closer by a cable car. The investment in France will create new jobs."

ep2.png.d7e4f23aea429236e386e6c740c06fa2.png

Emmanuel Macron, the French President, has given his backing to the project on Twitter: "Europa-Park has chosen to invest in France. It's the consecration of a true Franco-German project that will create thousands of jobs"

Yeah, I am also ashamed to not know how close the park is to France.

I am really happy they rebuilt the track for the coaster, but I can't say I love the Can-Can theme: I really thought the space theme worked best for that kind of ride. That said, other than the lift course, it looks like they preserved much of the intense darkness of the ride and it generally rides like the same ride.

LOVE that park - only been there once, but my rides on Wodan will be forever ingrained in my head: that was the hit of the park for me, with Silver Star another (somewhat) unexpected treat (Love that behind the scenes footage, where they appear to actually let people stand unattached to the midcourse break run as the train sails through -- somehow I don't see US parks letting that happen without full attorney releases?).

I actually didn't LOVE Blue Fire as much as I expected. Things are such much better for me on initial rides if I go in with lower or no expectations -- that way I can actually experience the ride as it is, rather than as I expected (or wanted) it to be.

I haven't been to Europa Park (yet) but this sounds like a great idea! Too bad it'll take 5 years to complete, as I'd love to ride it on my first visit to the park (hopefully next year if all goes well).

Also, here we are over in America trying to build a wall between us and our neighbors and Germany wants to build a cable car between them and theirs. SMH America. Going to stop now before I open this can of worms too much further...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So we've finally booked our first Europapark trip since October 2016 - that's the longest streak without having been to the park ever, but our US trip in 2017 and our boy being born in 2018 didn't get us the opportunity to go there in the meantime.

We're going the week after Easter, during the week with planning to be in the park Wednesday and Thursday with the option of Friday. We're sleeping off-property due to cost reasons (we're a bigger group and some cannot afford three night on property). Do the locals know how the crowds are there during that time? Normally we avoid the local holidays, but it's not manageable this time because we are a bigger group.

As it's my son's first visit to a major theme park, we're suprised (in a good way) how the park managed our requests. We got a specific list in advance what attractions he will be allowed to do then (without having asked, we just asked if we can bring a handcart and if we can heat up his selfmade food while being in restaurants and they assumed what would be additionally important to know for us).

So we're really excited how the two days will turn out for us a bigger group with a one year old. And we're excited for the dinner in the "Ochsen" which is our favourite restaurant in Rust!

As we know the park very well from being alone, just for ourselves, there - does anybody has some experience with going to Europapark with a one year old? In Tripsdrill, he rode everything he was allowed on and enjoyed it with loud giggles.

Edited by Pedrinho

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^, ^^, ^^^

The times listed for Europa Park can bee seen as "minimum opening times". Usually they are open longer, up until 9 pm, depending on the crowds, weather, ...

Around noon you will see sings at every ride listing the right time schedule for that day, saying "today open until XX pm". Usually, if you are in line before that, you may ride even later.

In Phantasialand, the times are pretty strict, especially on weekdays. That's because of the residents around.

For Heide Park, I can't say.