TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Boldy's Beer and Airtime Adventures

LOL well, yeah.

What's ironic is as a DJ/raver in the 90s I attended and DJ'd at raves in multiple armories, abandoned warehouses, convention centers, countless nightclubs, FEC's (with rides), private swim clubs, theaters, campgrounds, concert halls, art galleries, an abandoned train station, strip clubs, a YMCA, numerous roller rinks, a boxing ring, at least two beaches, the Liberty freaking Science Center, but my first ever foam party was at Six Flags in 2018.

There is something cinematic and otherworldly about being on a coaster with fireworks going off above you. I've only had the luck to do it twice, both times on lame coasters that felt epic for that one ride because, fireworks.

Super evening you had at the park. I laughed at you wondering if you could make it to Zumanjaro/Ka from Nitro with the clock ticking. In April I had the same situation except we were at Kings Dominion racing from Twisted Timbers to Volcano and made it with 3 minutes to spare. Whew! We ended up with a front row seat on the last train of the night and were the only ones on it. HOLY CRAPPPPPP it was flying. (Thank God we got on it then because now it's all busted.) I can only imagine how completely insane Kingda Ka was between the heat, night time, and fireworks going off!

Great report and glad you got on everything despite the weather! That's surprising they'd close down the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo early. Six Flags has never had a problem taking my money before.

Yeah its weird. There have been a few times in the last year or so where I've had that happen w/ SF and been like huh? A girl working @ GACafe talked me out of buying a dining pass for 2018. And with the sh*tshow its become, I'm so glad she did!

There is something cinematic and otherworldly about being on a coaster with fireworks going off above you. I've only had the luck to do it twice, both times on lame coasters that felt epic for that one ride because, fireworks.

I've been on rides on the Wildwood boardwalk a few times over the years during fireworks, but something about being up that high - even if just for a second - and being able to look over and down at the display, was just incredible and a ride I'll certainly never forget.

Super evening you had at the park. I laughed at you wondering if you could make it to Zumanjaro/Ka from Nitro with the clock ticking.

It was kinda like a dumb TV show for a moment - the two of us powerwalking up a sweat in the dark humid empty park, with me occasionally checking our time and shouting it out and then giggling about it - like whyTF are we doing this? But we couldn't have timed it better if we tried. I love when moments like that just come together and blow minds.

Niiice trip report!
Great report! Sounds like fun.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick dispatch about my latest riding adventures in South Jersey. Over the weekend was my mothers birthday so I took an express Philadelphia-to-Wildwood NJ Transit bus Saturday morning to deliver her some gifts and go out to lunch with her and my Dad. I got into town a little before noon and we had a few beers and got caught up on the back porch, the parents complaining it was too hot for a 'beach day', and me reminding them how much nicer the cooler temps and light ocean breeze felt compared to the stifling air in Philly.

01.thumb.jpg.5ce9df6e4f09c0374ac87d900fb1c424.jpg

My Dad's a huge fan of Cape May Brewing Company and had on hand their new "smoothie ale". Was strange but good. More like a malt than a beer, at least to me.

02.thumb.jpg.d79aa27e6f2ad99eec8c1bd0ace15bac.jpg

We eventually took a quick ride around the corner to The Wharf, a large popular mainstay located on Wildwoods' back bay and which looks out at the Rio Grande bridge. Their food is generally pretty great and they were hosting, as usual, my parents favorite local cover band.

03.thumb.jpg.23308a1f6baa1f5addb8303d1de1163d.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.724de9dd3d2ee8dcad0152ac0f30ade6.jpg

To celebrate National Hamburger Day I got 'The Chesapeake' - a juicy burger with crab meat that came with chips+pickles, alongside a "Voodoo Punch", which is basically an enormous bucket of like 5 different kinds of rum. Yum.

07.thumb.jpg.fc74f62383be7e0c042d0938b6133240.jpg

The Chesapeake

05.thumb.jpg.9bd9d9c01977d8b0ce16f994677e3208.jpg

06.thumb.jpg.8c28d04071b4ef844162751484b2ec0c.jpg

My dads oysters and tuna bites (which were amazing)

After we ate we hung out and listened to a few songs before (to my surprise) my folks said they wanted to head home. We stopped back at the house for a while and I decided to leave them to veg out while I headed up the boardwalk for a bit, knowing I was basically torturing myself on a nice Saturday evening. You might remember earlier this May I visited and didn't get to ride much as it rained and Moreys only wound up opening Mariners Pier, so I had some catching up to do.

08.thumb.jpg.b2b22d6d7e326354e7a3917792123702.jpg

Adventure time

I started off on Adventure Pier, grabbed a wristband and noticed Great White was down for "scheduled maintenance" but a passing employee told me it would be running in 20 minutes. I hit up the Screamin Swing a few times - as usual, the ops were cool with me scanning my wristband and re-riding without walking down/around. Broken record time: I love these rides. I was getting a good 5 full swings, I'm used to it giving 3, so that was nice. From up here I noticed Great White was testing so I walked over and jumped in a small line forming, waiting about 15 minutes and I was on the 2nd train out in the 2nd-to-last row. I jumped back over to Screamin Swing for another two cycles and then back to Great White for another lap. Annoyingly, they were running both trains on TGW but only loading the red, which was disappointing as I prefer the blue. It was running well, but not nearly at its full potential this early in the day. Ah well.

From here I walked all the way down to Surfside as I could no longer keep myself away from the greatest flat of all time, the mighty IT. I walked up and noticed it was loading, and there were a few empty seats and I was able to hop right in. Locked in, the op did the weird Moreys walk-around-the-perimiter of the ride and before long we were swinging maniacally toward the sky, the other riders horrified at their tiny lapbars and lack of anything to grab onto. And then, suddenly, I felt the ride slow down prematurely, everyone around me groaning and confused, and then - the dreaded technical difficulties schpeil.

12.thumb.jpg.2aca70a6ccbc4c3987fbe5247f33aa8d.jpg

Rides on rides on rides

I hopped off and made my way around the pier, hitting up Kong (flyers) where for once I managed to really get going thanks to a distracted/uninterested ride op and a nice strong breeze coming up from the south.

13.thumb.jpg.e63dca18382321aab210b3627b5e1e2c.jpg

Flyin solo

14.thumb.jpg.b28a08fc6e6e6c4422278357385c1880.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.3b95b0f0e51b46058a819d6418c4a7a8.jpg

I wandered further back and watched the Great Nor'easter cycle a few times, ultimately deciding to skip it and instead ride Atmosfear, their excellent Larson tower a few times. They made me wait until a few other riders showed up and let me scan my wristband to ride again without walking around, which was nice, and I got to ride facing both south and north. The views are amazing up there and that drop is just ridiculous.

09.thumb.jpg.74bfa88e278e804c54b918e7443cdb69.jpg

Paint still looks nice

10.thumb.jpg.5ce556fdfce91a9eeef224bd192c40f1.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.3c93c4b864aad5b8ddb2d2493bcf903a.jpg

But those poor people

After, I headed back to IT where I found a rope and a sign, and maintenance actively working on the ride. I hung around for a few minutes before I decided to give up and come back later, as I had other business to attend to.

16.thumb.jpg.5fdae02a076c7b9718c27f5b05bbe12b.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.33ba9f46c88d498e6d64c833effc1b13.jpg

Sweet buttery Jesus

18.thumb.jpg.84f84d7f98b0033bde12ff79f7928da2.jpg

After I was done my slice (and birch beer) I slowly walked back down to Surfside to check for any signs of life and was thrilled to find IT back up and running with a bit of a wait, but determined, and with nothing else to do, I hopped in line.

19.thumb.jpg.4fc31d454bc25069ad35ed5c5e0cf92d.jpg

20.thumb.jpg.6b84b65554aed209857923795dd3b558.jpg

I watched and photographed three cycles, baffled at the shear insanity of the program they run on this thing, my thoughts punctuated by the gasps of the future rides surrounding me. Between the tiny lapbars and the ludicrous forces, I can't believe this ride is allowed to exist.

21.thumb.jpg.610634ece6b3bddb685035370e7788bd.jpg

Sadly, I would not be riding this evening. The cycle before mine had the exact same thing happen as I did earlier - almost getting into full swings when it went down again for maintenance. Burned twice, I decided to give up for the night, hoping to stop back up in the afternoon the next day. I realized I had a tram ticket on me and now needed to get all the way back down to the southern end of the boards where I had locked up my dads bike I rode up earlier. Peak time of the evening, the boardwalk was what we regulars describe as "ugly" - warm, packed with teens, familiers, strollers, all shoulder to shoulder, all walking at a glacial pace, but at least I could kinda avoid it on the tram. I hopped off early, at Adventure Pier, to find Great White with a line down the steps and through the switchbacks (nahhhh), and Screamin Swing down, but with a line out of the entrance (haha really?). All the other upcharges seemed to be up but I was more interested in Khor Bros custard and going back home to bed. I stopped at the front of the pier on my way out and got a chocolate/mint twist to go, quickly finishing it before the last leg of my trip to the back of the island via bicycle.

To bed relatively early, I was up at 5am and rode the bike back up to the boards in the dark deserted streets to go for my morning run up and back down the boardwalk and check out the sunrise. I stopped a few times to take some photos. Enjoy.

22.thumb.jpg.d1c6661ec7fcf372db2142edf72094ce.jpg

23.thumb.jpg.5fd456a2530a0c51529951adee7b3bc1.jpg

24.thumb.jpg.82b4cea2d16b2707ab726ae4a7fe1975.jpg

25.thumb.jpg.57bdd1288275cc08021641e10d38a354.jpg

26.thumb.jpg.d4e0fa6aefd6636ed006e1591996ba2a.jpg

27.thumb.jpg.a00f31e0809fa7e82e37784d069338d7.jpg

28.thumb.jpg.efda982c3fd76b8c0cfdbef011a24698.jpg

29.thumb.jpg.a0748d78a44e1aeca83d58e4687e1d1f.jpg

30.thumb.jpg.e34ff217190e983c1676a0512a55d36a.jpg

Later that morning, after coffee and breakfast, my sister showed up with my niece and nephew, who bugged me to take him up to the piers for some rides. We left my niece (5 months) with my doting mother and went to Mariners for a few hours, which was nice since I skipped it on Saturday. First we hit up the Wild Whizzer, my nephew visibly excited about the ride, and declaring while waiting to board "I am going to love this ride!" This was both of our first times on one of these SBF spinners, and as someone who dreads spinning rides I wasn't exactly looking forward to it.

32.thumb.jpg.9782888e2d34f765a45538afdd26c890.jpg

But turns out the ride was actually a lot of fun, and we both really enjoyed it. That is, until the ride stopped and our car, unbalanced with my nephew and I on one side and a 6 year old girl on the other, began spinning wildly out of control, the ride op busy doing something else for what felt like an eternity before noticing us finally and coming over to help stop our car from spinning. Once unlocked, the two of us were totally green and almost unable to get up. I tried to hold it together for his sake but I felt worse than he looked.

33.thumb.jpg.ad8c92acd38428d57fbf281635467f02.jpg

Naturally, his 5 year old body is extremely resilient and he was ready to hop right on the Kite Flyer right next door, me motioning to my sister that she was on her own for this one.

31.thumb.jpg.8744ad6596c494fdb4d2c1f93c8b899f.jpg

We also got him on their Chance swinging ship "Riptide", probably his favorite ride, which ran a nice long cycle. We then asked him if he wanted to try Rollies Coaster, a new credit for him (yes Im counting his credits, STFU lol). If you're not familiar (I forgot to get a photo) Rollies is absolutely Moreys worst coaster - a Pinfari Zyklon with OTSRs. This was fairly large for him, I was shocked he so quickly agreed to ride. It was a walk-on and before we knew it we were headed up the lift - my sister and him in the front with me behind them. As soon as we came up from the first drop I could hear the wailing coming from in front of me. Someone was not enjoying their ride. When we exited, the boy was crying a river burying his face in my sisters leg. We asked him what was so bad and had to laugh when it wasn't the ride that bothered him - but that we got so close to the Ghost Ship, a ride he is afraid of - that was not even open or operating this early in the day. Kids are funny. (To be fair, I wouldn't walk anywhere near Dante's Dungeon when I was a kid, so I kinda get where he is coming from lol)

I had to head back to the house to grab my stuff and head back to the bus station to catch another express back up to Philly so that's where this story ends. Not a bad weekend for some relaxation and a little bit of riding. I'm heading back down a few times this month, and other trips (and therefore reports) are about to ramp up, so stay tuned! Thanks for reading, and comment, damnit!

Weekend tally:

The Great White 2x

Screaming Swing 5x

Atmosfear 2x

Kong 1x

IT .5x

Wild Whizzer 1x

Riptide 1x

Rollies 1x

Those are some great sunrise photos! Making me anxious to get back down there. I talked the wife into spending the weekend down there on the 17th through 19th, and it's gonna be her first time down there ever. The kiddette's, too. And, with any luck, it might be the big kiddo's first time on Nor'easter; he's been measuring up right on the line of 52" here at home, now it's just a matter of seeing whether or not our chart at home matches what they've got at Morey's. Fingers crossed. If you've got any good tips for us for often overlooked stuff hit me up. Still upset that Randy's place closed down because I really wanted to take her there before that happened, but, oh well :/

Sucks about "it", that's easily the best one of those claw-type rides I've seen anywhere, for it to go down multiple times like that has gotta be a disappointment. Cool to hear that your nephew's been getting on more and more stuff! Rollies is 44", right? You know what that means the next time he gets back to GAdv. (Well, on the other hand, if he freaked out that much at getting that close to Ghost Ship, maybe he's a little too young to join the Cult.)

Also, just noticed this from earlier in the thread:

What's ironic is as a DJ/raver in the 90s I attended and DJ'd at raves in multiple armories, abandoned warehouses, convention centers, countless nightclubs, FEC's (with rides), private swim clubs, theaters, campgrounds, concert halls, art galleries, an abandoned train station, strip clubs, a YMCA, numerous roller rinks, a boxing ring, at least two beaches, the Liberty freaking Science Center, but my first ever foam party was at Six Flags in 2018.

RETURN TO THE MOTHERF**KING SOURCE. My number one coolest rave experience from way back when. <3

^ ^^ Thanks guys! I can't wait to get back down this weekend.

Those are some great sunrise photos! Making me anxious to get back down there. I talked the wife into spending the weekend down there on the 17th through 19th, and it's gonna be her first time down there ever. The kiddette's, too. And, with any luck, it might be the big kiddo's first time on Nor'easter; he's been measuring up right on the line of 52" here at home, now it's just a matter of seeing whether or not our chart at home matches what they've got at Morey's. Fingers crossed. If you've got any good tips for us for often overlooked stuff hit me up. Still upset that Randy's place closed down because I really wanted to take her there before that happened, but, oh well :/

I'll let you know if I'm heading down that weekend, its totally a possibility. Check out Lime Ricky World near Mariners (across from the Aquarium) Randy has some of his retro games in there for the time being. They also sell crazy huge ridiculous milkshakes. As far as other stuff - I dunno. New beer garden under Sea Serpent with Oktoberfest inspired foods, Pirates of Wildwood is all new this year, you've been in Gateway 26 right? Best arcade - across from Surfside. Want good fries? Skip the long line @ Curleys and go to Idaho Potatoes across from Mariners (btwn Chickies and Khor Bros) - best fries on the boardwalk). If I think of other stuff I'll hit you up.

Rollies is 44", right? You know what that means the next time he gets back to GAdv. (Well, on the other hand, if he freaked out that much at getting that close to Ghost Ship, maybe he's a little too young to join the Cult.)

Oh yeah no. We've tried to get him on Skull Mountain, no dice. Won't go near it. Afraid of the exterior. He has ridden Runaway Mine Train, Harley Quinn, Road Runner Railway, Vapor Trail (but not Wacky Taxi - yet), Flitzer, Doo Wopper, and now Rollies and Whizzer. He's into them, but he's having this scared-of-everything phase. He wouldn't go near Skull Mountain and also had a meltdown trying to bring him on Dark Knight. He's 45 inches, and it blows my mind he's only 3 inches away from stuff like Toro, Millennium, etc.

RETURN TO THE MOTHERF**KING SOURCE. My number one coolest rave experience from way back when. <3

Haha oh man. That party is so foggy (1996?) but I remember it being so cool to be in there in the middle of the night. What sticks out is rolling my tits off to Odi in the upstairs side room.

Great report! I didn't realize the Screamin' Swing was on the wristband; I thought it was an upcharge.

Apparently I get free rides because I have a Wild Pass. On the perks page of the website it says I get half off but last year one of the ops told me I got free rides on it so I tried it out and apparently I do. All the other upcharges are half off for me.

Late to the party again and a month or two behind on some TPR threads, but thoroughly enjoyed the reports, especially the lantern and sunrise photos! Sounds like an awesome ride on DaKa (why do I giggle every time I see King Daka?).

One day I'll get to the piers.... one day.... I always forget they exist before we hit up Great Adventure and the only time we could probably make it work is a long weekend... I'm guessing labor day weekend is a bad idea, though.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty then. Hey Guys! Soooooooo I'm super backed up on trip reports, I must be hanging out with Bill too much. The last few days I've been going back through hundreds of photos from this summer and I'm about to unleash the onslaught!

As always I have been spending some of my summer daze in Wildwood, New Jersey, and the weekend after my visit for hangs with Moms I told you about in the last report, I had plans to head back down, this time with the missus to meet up with none other than our pals Bill and Brit for our apparently now-annual Jersey Shore G.T.L. convention. (That's g-forces, tanning and liquor).

01.thumb.jpg.66bf39bbcd0aff4a7f94e63a8648285d.jpg

Upon leaving Philly for the exotic islands of the Jersey Shore we were joined by some insane looking clouds that I couldn't resist taking some photos of. The forecast was for possible rain but luckily it never materialized into anything.

02.thumb.jpg.826384ff76d0fdf62364772b6688428d.jpg

Smell ya later, Philly.

03.thumb.jpg.6525795903fdb0c60dc738395759d4d1.jpg

Heading over the Walt Whitman felt like driving into the heavens.

04.thumb.jpg.f8748249c035511d4d46f3aa2fc64cc4.jpg

Over the bridge...

05.thumb.jpg.3d38251af1efc27750ed661e9e14841d.jpg

And through the woods...

After an uneventful drive down we met Bill and Brit at my folks house and caught up over some beers on the back porch before we headed over to show them the wonders of Mudhen, the islands new brewery, where we'd grab a nice laid back lunch. The sun was shining and the boardwalk wasn't going anywhere.

07.thumb.jpg.4c86e22199a893f158884c22c1743130.jpg

Because I'm a pig, I tried the "Swine Is Fine" burger featuring applewood bacon, pulled pork, bbq bacon, and cheddar on brioche. Delicious.

06.thumb.jpg.b244fb36fd25f33c05ea4349f5af4877.jpg

It's Bill and Brit! Brit is clearly disgusted by my brutally carnivorous selection.

08.thumb.jpg.475923c5ef0856ea0217eb6f2aebfb22.jpg

The missus tried their Caesar salad and loved it. I didn't take photos of Bill and Brits food because I'm not a creeper. But Bill did get a flight.

bill.jpg.9092a71ab2afd4f940be1b88c239e9d6.jpg

*Photo by Brit

After we ate, drank and got caught up, we settled our tab and with full bellies wandered back to the house to load up on sunscreen and obviously crush a few more beers on the porch, before finally heading up to the boardwalk.

09.thumb.jpg.9ff3500c3fde32d1e3601be1dee91745.jpg

One of my Wild Pass perks is four anytime-use buddy wristbands for $25 each ($35 includes the piers and both waterparks) which I hadn't touched all season, so we stopped at Guest Services on Adventure Pier to see what we could do.

11.thumb.jpg.60860977fcc8d8ca9beefb44fdbbb7f0.jpg

I had called earlier in the week to make sure I could use as many of them at once as I wanted, and the girl behind the counter here confirmed what I had already been told. So for around $75+tax all told we got 4 wristbands. An amazing deal considering they run about $60 a piece without a discount. While in there, we couldn't help but notice on the screen behind the counter that "IT" was listed as closed for the day. No bueno!

12.thumb.jpg.5d60e3f59862c3e2b1e2a8edd19221a8.jpg

Fortunately The Great White was running so we hopped in the front rows and had a nice rollicking ride along the Wildwood beach. Its always a little sluggish earlier in the day but it was a great first ride of our day load. And, as always, the view is incredible.

KONG.thumb.jpg.432827d4612afdd9cee51acd013c1ed6.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.cb8cdc58b38ba30fa052463ebad13064.jpg

Otherwise its all upcharges on this pier, so we took a swing on the always phenomenal Screamin' Swing. (protip: this is the only one of the upcharges that is free with wristbands, kids) While standing under the Screamin' Swing waiting to board you get to watch it almost smash into the nearby SkyScraper. It's neat. From here we jumped in the tram car (also free before 5pm w/ a wristband) to make our way down to the best pier, Surfside.

10.thumb.jpg.8ccc1432d06a088f3f6afe2db92274e7.jpg

tram.jpg.6ee37fb6ce650cd4dda19be49f7f13a7.jpg

* photo by Bill

Watch the tram car, puh-leeze!

15.thumb.jpg.ee28fc25e7b7d48353d4f01e8bdac31b.jpg

We didn't stop at Mariners, we'd plan to hit it on the way back.

16.thumb.jpg.716c9c201a259aefe65d30bf734a75fb.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.34d59bca5ceb0f335b661df6711f7984.jpg

After a quick bouncey ride down the boards, we hopped off the tram at 26th Street and headed onto Surfside, immediately coming across Flitzer, and noting the line was non-existent. If we were going to ride we should do it now, since it usually gets and keeps a relatively decent wait on busy summer Saturdays.

18.thumb.jpg.3a532a7786894571d3c249a1395eb15f.jpg

Little did we know at the time these would be Bill and Brit's final rides on this zippy little family classic.

19.thumb.jpg.5e1f2f3755af9d877041188363d2edf8.jpg

That didn't stop Bill from riding like it was his last time. On the real, he rides everything like that. Its infectious.

20.thumb.jpg.5305ecff7808e9440976bb85324d8d9d.jpg

No trip to Wildwood would be complete without a few rides on their excellent Zoom Phloom.

21.thumb.jpg.d04f8c7153a96c37feb6b473dd4adc0d.jpg

As if we'd make it through a day at any park anywhere with this junkie and not take in any flume rides.

22.thumb.jpg.9810589f37ea29360af5f81c2b262c5f.jpg

The sun on this August afternoon was scorching so it was just what the doctor ordered.

23.thumb.jpg.cd5da43d9d5e4c1ce57d125e2e4dd581.jpg

We dried off on their excellent Larson tower, Atmosfear.

NE.thumb.jpg.e9299feb1f40a6119b03f6405e8b99e7.jpg

Even after the retracking, the missus still hates the Great Nor'easter, so she waited for us while the other three of us rode. As has been stated here and elsewhere, its probably the best SLC anywhere now, and the location can't be beat.

We hadn't seen any activity from IT, but of course we had been staling it as we made our way around the pier. What a day for it to be down. We decided the only appropriate action would be to drown our sorrows at our favorite boardwalk bar, Joes Fish Co.

Joes.jpg.d52e96a10cf97b16ae0f3fd0de9c5af6.jpg

* photo by Bill

As mentioned in this and the Moreys thread, Joes is a fantastic open air rooftop bar located atop Curleys Fries at the front of, and overlooking, Surfside Pier.

25.thumb.jpg.57e45c5be4ca2868ac2e635d4e156d43.jpg

Not only is the view fantastic but the food is above average and the service usually very good. We had some snacks (pretzels, oysters) and a few rounds of drinks while taking in the sights and smells of the pier. Highly recommended if you are in town for rides and want to stop somewhere for a drink or three.

26.thumb.jpg.eb4266371ab94b5e61f3eec9b3492f17.jpg

Before we headed south down the boardwalk we stopped downstairs for a few last rides around the pier, first stopping at KONG, their flyers.

GWD.jpg.01e63c1a1fb2e813ce6fa34e97fb5ad4.jpg

* screenshot from TPR's Great White POV

Not the best flyers, but their placement elevated above a gift shop makes it a fun ride. Unfortunately the ops frown on any serious snapping.

Dante.thumb.jpg.aeff13d97104124814c3063404286ff9.jpg

We had ourselves a ride inside Moreys resident death trap. Always a good time, but no scare actors today.

27.thumb.jpg.3b8a10d3a80678956c6a6bbaac07a0f5.jpg

The sun now setting we headed south to Mariners stopping for some iced Dunkin coffees which the missus and I sat with and enjoyed while Bill and Brit grabbed some credits on the new spinner, Wild Whizzer.

28.thumb.jpg.0d08183ab3638a59c2e5a6ab943d959b.jpg

Then we made our way around the pier grabbing rides on the newly revamped Pirates of Wildwood, and a lap on Rollies Coaster, and then popped into the Ghost Ship.

29.thumb.jpg.1a244a120dcde662fced5c104c2afcfd.jpg

30.thumb.jpg.319413adf46e14cb9ff3bb15eeb344c1.jpg

Rollies isn't so bad. It's not great either.

31.thumb.jpg.830f640327241260d6f34609694a6a68.jpg

The Ghost Ship, however, is great. I'm not a big haunt person, but Moreys does a really good job with this. There aren't a ton of scare actors but the sets are great and there are a lot of triggered jump scares throughout. And they definitely changed a few rooms since last year. Good stuff.

32.thumb.jpg.77b568072b4788fe82ea9f38d4ad6c90.jpg

33.thumb.jpg.5954dc8b2b8a1b86348fa76423dec5a8.jpg

As always, the wait for The Giant Wheel was predictably long, and though its worth the wait, as the views at night are amazing, we actually had reservations to ride it the following morning. (foreshadowing)

34.thumb.jpg.960b98ef6536e0b27a4967aeb3388d8f.jpg

Instead we waited a few cycles and got the ends of their swinging ship, Riptide, and had ourselves a scream war with a bunch of preteens. It was awesome. The last two years Bill & Brit have made their Wildwood pilgrimage, Moreys other wild KMG flat, Maelstrom, has been closed. At this point he's on a mission to ride it, and as luck would have it, it was running. While he rode we grabbed some beers at Moreys new Oktoberfest themed "Wilhelms Beir Garden" located directly under the Sea Serpent.

35.thumb.jpg.17f4bc19f2f276df48fba3a203a87076.jpg

Maelstrom is basically a claw type thing that spins while turning its riders upside down, downside up and sideways. Its also known as: a flat I won't go anywhere near. Bill seemed to enjoy it, they ran a nice long cycle and he got off ready for more beer and not puking, so... success?

38.thumb.jpg.dea12f9f4cdad432c29e9368ec018b6b.jpg

Speaking of Sea Serpent - a 25 minute wait for a boomerang? Haha! With not much else we wanted to ride, we bounced to head back to Surfside for some night rides, realizing on the way we were hungry. The Wildwood boardwalk has an incredible amount of delicious foods from sweet to savory, snacks to full entrees, sit downs and grab and gos... its such a painfully impossible choice... if only we had a go-to that never, ever disappoints.

Macks.thumb.jpg.e4775c259308d0ef353ad3e2f28fdac6.jpg

LMAO did you forget what thread you were in?

36.thumb.jpg.aa6dfedcadc91d118f13e55a28b06b93.jpg

At this point in the night I wasn't nearly focused enough to continue taking any sort of quality photos but I do recall that after scarfing down our pizza on a bench across from Macks, we did make it back to Surfside to unfortunately find IT still down for the count, so we did a quick lap around the pier getting a night ride on the flume (where, against our better judgement, all four of us crammed into a log and proceeded to drown), another drop on Atmosfear, and a laugh-filled turn on their Kangabounce, a kiddie flat that is better than it has any right to be.

37.thumb.jpg.a41b39501ed77cdda1794d9f17d5f005.jpg

To end off the night we walked back to the southern end of the boardwalk toward my folks house, stopping at junk shops to browse, and couldn't help but pop down Adventure Pier for one last ride on the Screamin' Swing, and then a midnight back seat ride on The Great White. It was nice and warmed up and really flying. Of course as we exited the pier we stopped for custard from Khor Bros that we finished on the way home. After a long, boozy day we all hit the pillows almost immediately when we got in. All in all a great, relaxed day with awesome friends, and we had plans for more fun in the morning.

Score card:

The Great White 2x

Zoom Phloom 2x

Atmosfear 2x

Screamin Swing 2x

Great Nor'easter

Rollies

Flitzer

Dante

Pirates of Wildwood

Ghost Ship

Kangabounce

Sorry for the lack of photos toward the end of the day, I have more to come. Stay tuned for Breakfast in the Sky, Ocean City featuring Gale Force, Sesame Place and Oscars Wacky Taxi, Roller Coaster Day @ Six Flags Great Adventure, and a whirlwind weekend in Georgia with some wicked Twisted Cyclone action!

Awesome report of an awesome weekend. Maelstrom kicked my a**.

That was one of those rides that seemed like it was designed to remind me that I’m no longer in my twenties.

Yet you continued to push it to the limit the following "stormy" day.

Great report! I didn't realize the Screamin' Swing was included. I'll be sure not to skip that next time.

Yeah its great. If I'm alone and there is no wait the ops usually just let me re-scan my wristband without walking all the down and around to the entrance and back up.

Yeah, that was really awesome hanging out with you guys. Morey's is just a bit too far away to fly out there every year. We'll have to do something though. I have to get out to Busch Gardens at some point, and once that mall and Legoland are done I want to go to NYC. You need to get out to Branson too.