TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

I can't believe we're actually planning to do EPCOT and this Festival in.....6 years???

Too - damn - far away - in time.

p.s. Everything edible and drinkable I see here for this year..... OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGyum.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this show... but its time has come. Looking forward to what they replace it with! I mean, just think about what replaced Wishes! OMG! I can't wait to see what they do with a "New Illuminations!!!"

All-New Nighttime Fireworks Spectacular to Replace ‘IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth’ as Part of the Transformation of Epcot

ILL453068FI.jpg

After nearly 20 years of delighting Epcot guests through music, fireworks, fire torches and more, we wanted to let you know that “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth” will be ending in the second half of next year. The Disney Parks Live Entertainment team is already busy creating new thrills to debut immediately following the conclusion of “IllumiNations,” continuing the tradition of nightly entertainment on the World Showcase Lagoon.

“IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth,” which is currently planned to run to the end of summer 2019, has entertained millions of guests gathered around World Showcase Lagoon sharing the light and a story since it debuted in October 1999 as part of the Walt Disney World Millennium Celebration. During the coming year, we’ll be celebrating this classic show, so you still have plenty of time to experience it again and again, as excitement builds for what’s next.

As regular readers know, we’ve got big plans for our multi-year transformation of Epcot, with new experiences that will “Wow!” guests while keeping true to the original vision of the park. And the all-new nighttime fireworks spectacular coming to Epcot’s World Showcase Lagoon will be part of the park’s exciting evolution.

The new show joins several previously announced experiences coming to Epcot, including the highly-anticipated “Guardians of the Galaxy” roller coaster attraction, a “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction in World Showcase, a new table-service restaurant adjacent to Mission: SPACE and much more!

Edited by robbalvey

^^ Aw man I wish I had known that before leaving the resort. I think I should be back at least one more time next year before it goes fortunately.

I loved Illuminations in it's current form, but I've always enjoyed Disney's night spectaculars so I trust they'll deliver something good.

It's really time for IllumiNations to have its sunset. Epcot has had an industry awarding show for a decade and a half so hopefully this is a challenge to master something even better. It's been almost 20 years for Illuminations though. Time to say goodbye.

NOOOO!!! This is easily my favorite nighttime show ever. I'm excited to see what Disney will bring to the table, but this is really sad to me. So many memories from watching this show.

You're obviously not old enough to remember the previous versions of the show, but if you makes you feel any better, every time they updated it, the show just got better than better and better!

Who remembers the version where they would "spotlight" each country, and all the spotlights around World Showcase would rapidly come together to highlight a certain country? That was a cool effect!

This version will have been around 20 years when it leaves, which is probably 10 years longer than it should have run. Illuminations is by far Disney's biggest night time show so I have no doubt the next version will be nothing sort of mind blowing!

NOOOO!!! This is easily my favorite nighttime show ever. I'm excited to see what Disney will bring to the table, but this is really sad to me. So many memories from watching this show.

Who remembers the version where they would "spotlight" each country, and all the spotlights around World Showcase would rapidly come together to highlight a certain country? That was a cool effect!

I remember that and was so disappointed when they quit doing it.

All in all, I am disappointed to see it go, but am excited to see what Disney has in store. Something tells me we won't be disappointed with the new

I loved Illuminations during my visit, but 20 years is a long time for the same show. I'm very excited to see what they will do with the new show! Although I will probably not watch any videos of it so that whenever I have my next visit I get to see it in person for the first time. I still haven't watched any videos of the show that replaced Wishes for the same reason...

More fire barge, less boring globe!

The show is great, but has definitely run its course. With all the advancements in projections, lighting, sound, and pyrotechnic technology since the show first debuted, the replacement is sure to be incredible.

I was actually slightly disappointed in the show when I finally got to see it. I'd fallen in love with the soundtrack back in 2000 when my music teacher had played it for us; I didn't get to see the show until 11 years later. So I'd built up all this grandeur and magic in my head while listening to the CD over and over, to the point that when I finally saw the show, I wasn't as impressed by it as I'd hoped.

So I definitely look forward to seeing what comes next! Not just visually, but also musically! Because the IllumiNations soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite albums!

I am beyond sad to see this show go. It was my all time favorite theme park firework show. That being said, I am VERY thankful that we were already planning a trip to WDW for next summer, so I'll at least get to see it one last time! After that, I am beyond thrilled to see what Disney replaces it with. It was an amazing show no doubt... But it is time for an update.

Sad that it's leaving, glad I get to see it one last time, can't wait to see what replaces it!

I just watched it again today. I love the show, but really...

First three minutes... AMAZING! Fire barge! YESSSS!!!

Next five minutes.... Zzzzzzzz

Show finale... AMAZING!!! And here is that finale for you...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Honestly, the show is great, but it really feels "tired" in that so much technology has advanced in 20 years for being able to put together a really EPIC nighttime show.

I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

Yeah I forgot how quickly they turned that one around, and I never though about the drone show from last Christmas being a potential "test" but that makes sense. Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Yeah, absoultely. That show wasn't really about producing something amazing, IMO, it was more about making sure the tech could work. I think if we see it as part of a new Illuminations, it will be one of many things that would be included in the show.

Drones would be fantastic in a new "Illuminations". The big flaw in the current show is that the globe comes out in the middle and the space for the show is so big that you can't f*ing see the thing (and not much really happens during that whole bit anyway). With movable, non-exploding Drones you could go wide enough around the area that everyone can see something up close.

My biggest hope for a new show is that it's not littered with IP. I know that this is the direction that Disney and Universal have been charging into, which is both good and bad. The problem is that with Fantasmic and Happily Ever After (or Star Wars Fireworks), you already have two major night shows that are extremely character heavy. If this one became a pure "movie moments" style show, that's too far a departure from the "togetherness and world culture" themes of the current performance and would make the night-time spectaculars redundant.