TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Fun Spot, near Orlando, is not a theme park. I would call it a small permanent amusement park, but not a theme park. I have been to Fun Spot and the go-karts were amazing, but only because the track was multi-level. Was the track long? No. Have I been on much longer outdoor tracks in Canada? Yes. Would Darien Lake benefit from a multi-level go-kart track? No question, absolutely.

I was pretty careful in saying amusement park as opposed to theme park (although 99% of the time it's semantics). But let's be honest. Every theme park is either in FL or Cali.

Dolly Parton is on the phone, and would like to talk to you.

A few others off the top of my head...

Busch gardens Williamsburg

Sesame place

SeaWorld San Antonio

Sdc

Wild adventure

Frontier city

Six flags fiesta TX

Holiday world

Santas village

Hershey park

Idlewild park

Those are just a few off the top of my head. You could probably throw in six flags great adventure in the mix as well.

Now name the ones in FL. Remember - Each park in the Disney family is a different park.

...See? I can be snide too...

Let-it-go-memes8.jpg.7bbebbe662c3e3d34bf3d9e158200240.jpg

New Attractions and Experiences for Fright Fest 2018

Fright Fest 2018, presented by SNICKERS, features more horror than ever before! This year we're introducing 10 new, never-before-offered experiences. Our new haunted houses – Hotel Terror, Jungle Apocalypse, and Camp Scumshine – bring your worst fears to life, featuring wrath, flesh-eating cannibals, rotting zombies, and half-animal mutants. Enter the cursed lands of Creep Show Freak Show, Passage of the Damned, ScreamPunk, and VooDoo Curse, where fanged creatures, horrifying oddities, and undead armies lurk in the shadows and stalk your every step.

Also new for 2018, three new shows will spotlight hot music, vivid lasers, and squeamish feats like you've ever seen before. We'll also introduce limited edition apparel, specialty fudge and caramel apples, and unique twists on your favorite foods.

Source: Darien Lake Passholder Announcements

What I've heard from a couple people...

- Hotel Terror will be beyond ROS, where the old haunts used to be.

- Jungle Apocalypse is going in the picnic shelter area, there will also be a scarezone down there as well.

- The other scarezones will be back by Twister, in between Tantrum and Mind Eraser, and the path between Predator and Boomerang.

- All the coasters will be operating, in addition to Rolling Thunder, Giant Wheel, Haymaker, Lasso, Sleighride, Twister, Tin Lizzys and Rodeo Round Up.

Fright Fest 2018, presented by SNICKERS, features more horror than ever before! This year we're introducing 10 new, never-before-offered experiences. Our new haunted houses – Hotel Terror, Jungle Apocalypse, and Camp Scumshine – bring your worst fears to life, featuring wrath, flesh-eating cannibals, rotting zombies, and half-animal mutants. Enter the cursed lands of Creep Show Freak Show, Passage of the Damned, ScreamPunk, and VooDoo Curse, where fanged creatures, horrifying oddities, and undead armies lurk in the shadows and stalk your every step.

Also new for 2018, three new shows will spotlight hot music, vivid lasers, and squeamish feats like you've ever seen before. We'll also introduce limited edition apparel, specialty fudge and caramel apples, and unique twists on your favorite foods.

What I've heard from a couple people...

- Jungle Apocalypse is going in the picnic shelter area, there will also be a scarezone down there as well.

- The other scarezones will be back by Twister, in between Tantrum and Mind Eraser, and the path between Predator and Boomerang.

- All the coasters will be operating, in addition to Rolling Thunder, Giant Wheel, Haymaker, Lasso, Sleighride, Twister, Tin Lizzys and Rodeo Round Up.

So are they constructing a new building for Hotel Terror? Also, how large in scale are the other two haunt mazes going to be?

(On a side note, that was really awkward how there was an entire discussion on the Darien Lake thread about what counts as a Theme park. Just look it up instead of spamming this thread)

Also, has anyone heard anything about Ride of Steel getting rethemed back to Superman? I'm kind of hoping they do.

I am kinda hoping they run this park like Great Escape - minus all of the DC/Looney Tunes themeing. That was one things about GE I really enjoyed. It definitely made it seem a lot less corporate for me.

What I've heard from a couple people.

So are they constructing a new building for Hotel Terror? Also, how large in scale are the other two haunt mazes going to be?

(On a side note, that was really awkward how there was an entire discussion on the Darien Lake thread about what counts as a Theme park. Just look it up instead of spamming this thread)

No, when going into Viper's queue there was a worker constructing Camp Scumshine (under Viper where the mini golf was), and he said that there will be a haunted house in the Galaxy Theater, obviously under Viper, and in the picnic areas.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Ride of Steel getting rethemed back to Superman? I'm kind of hoping they do.

I am kinda hoping they run this park like Great Escape - minus all of the DC/Looney Tunes themeing. That was one things about GE I really enjoyed. It definitely made it seem a lot less corporate for me.

Its already confirmed that its going to be Six Flags branded so I doubt you get your wish. Although other than the Batman stunt show, Looney Tunes kiddie area and S:ROS, there wasnt a ton of theming the last time it was SFDL.

Its already confirmed that its going to be Six Flags branded so I doubt you get your wish. Although other than the Batman stunt show, Looney Tunes kiddie area and S:ROS, there wasnt a ton of theming the last time it was SFDL.

I’m all for the park not being overloaded with DC/Looney Tunes themeing, but RoS is BEGGING for the Superman branding to return. Having S:RoS as the only branding would be perfect. Everybody still calls it Superman still anyways.

I’m all for the park not being overloaded with DC/Looney Tunes themeing, but RoS is BEGGING for the Superman branding to return. Having S:RoS as the only branding would be perfect. Everybody still calls it Superman still anyways.

I get the feeling that, if/when the park rethemes it to Superman, the general reaction will be, "Wait... since when has it NOT been Superman?"

Based on my one ride on Viper last weekend, while I didn't specifically look very hard since it wasn't mentioned before, I saw a few little props strewn about below the ride... but nothing I would consider even close to a haunt maze. At least I hope not. Then again I should never expect much from a Six Flags Halloween event.

^ The only thing I can think of that it would be similar to is Cornstalkers at various Cedar Fair parks, it's not an indoor haunted house, but rather a haunted maze. They put down new concrete, and now there's a little illusion shed front that says Camp Scumshine (sunshine but sun is crossed out I think haha).

Hotel Terror in the picnic area, Camp Scumshine beneath the Viper, and the Jungle Apocalypse is in the Galaxy. Also looks like there will be a hay ride, but sounds like in previous years where it might not be a big to-do like the Field Trip was. A number of the areas are being set up by contracted third-party companies rather than in-park entertainment just throwing props together like past years. Also get your last rides on Twister if you're particularly attached to it; it's on the short list to get axed for the new ride.

Hotel Terror in the picnic area, Camp Scumshine beneath the Viper, and the Jungle Apocalypse is in the Galaxy. Also looks like there will be a hay ride, but sounds like in previous years where it might not be a big to-do like the Field Trip was. A number of the areas are being set up by contracted third-party companies rather than in-park entertainment just throwing props together like past years. Also get your last rides on Twister if you're particularly attached to it; it's on the short list to get axed for the new ride.

So SkyScreamer is going in Twister’s current plot?

I get the feeling that, if/when the park rethemes it to Superman, the general reaction will be, "Wait... since when has it NOT been Superman?"

You're right - reverting back to Superman would be such a non-announcement. I would not be surprised to see the park take it in another direction like giving it a Bizarro overlay, similar to what SFNE did a few years back. That would at least make the ride experience seem fresh and new - and while they are at it, bring back train #2...

I do hope they bring back the Superman name, but I am also hoping for some real theming on it much like what they did at SFNE. I always thought the support structures on the second and third hills should have been framed out with facades of buildings since Superman can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

You're right - reverting back to Superman would be such a non-announcement. I would not be surprised to see the park take it in another direction like giving it a Bizarro overlay, similar to what SFNE did a few years back. That would at least make the ride experience seem fresh and new - and while they are at it, bring back train #2...

Honestly, the Bizarro treatment would be just plain stupid for RoS. It has been over 10 years since the Superman name was dropped yet literally everybody still calls it “Superman”. Same will happen if it was renamed to Bizarro. People are always going to know it as Superman, no matter what name it has. Just rebrand it to Superman, add fog effects, some theming, and a second train, and it will be perfect.

Even though Ride of Steel was first, naming it Bizarro would be kind of cool because it mirrors the other Superman Ride of Steel.

I think you'd run into the same situation we are in now though where everyone calls it Superman, even if the name were changed to Bizarro and the color changed, to a lot of people it would still be Superman. In my opinion I would just change the name to what everyone already calls it anyway, then Six Flags wouldn't even have to paint it (I know everyone wants a fresh coat of paint, but lets be realistic here).

Is there anyway twister may be taken down, to get refurbished, and come back where it actually flips over....

The first year it reopened it flipped once. Now it flips 4.5 times and those who ride it seem to enjoy it just fine. I’m failing to see an issue here.

Just because the Twister doesn’t flip you over 50 times and drench you in water from old fountains while blasting heavy metal music with strobe lights pointed directly at you does not mean it’s a bad ride. The people who venture over there to get on it seem to love it, that’s what matters.

However, if it’s removed, not many people will care because of its currently poor location, and fact that it’s usually one of the first rides to close for staffing issues.

I would personally miss it but at the end of the day the park is going to do what it / six flags want.