TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

I didn't know they sold them online tbh. Just past the ticket booths, on your right across from the stroller rental is the Show Lover's Pass desk.

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

I didn't know they sold them online tbh. Just past the ticket booths, on your right across from the stroller rental is the Show Lover's Pass desk.

thanks, they usually have them as an add-on you can buy online - but it might be too early to set it up for the shows just yet. thanks for the tip I appreciate it.

K

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no show passes were for sale on the two most recent days I attended the park - Wed and Thurs this week. No reason was given; but I really did not search one out as the older couple trying to buy "Branson Belle" tickets took about 20 minutes to select their seats and buy their tickets, by that time I had lost my will to live.

It turns out the wait times for the shows were not too horrible. The weather was very warm, so no hot wassail for me. Got my cider from the apple butter shop as usual. One thing is for sure, it is definitely rider season at the park. I got down to Outlaw run about 10:45 am and the queue timer said 0 min wait I saw a train with 2 people on it and no one in line. I bet I saw no more than 150 people under the age of 45 all day long. Over 50 years old, I bet the ridership drops pretty quickly. The exception is the Train it was mostly full every trip I saw.

Good relaxing trip. Overall my 3 trips down to the park this year were very good. If you are going more than two days a year to the park the seasons pass is a true bargain. My six days at the park this year were only $17.72 per day. A pretty good deal.

Kevin

Hey all,

Visiting St Louis from the 3rd-8th for an industry conference and will no doubt visit the City Museum and perhaps the Arch.

My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC? What are crowds like this time of year?

It'd probably be a daylong/half day visit...

Thanks

Hey all, My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC? What are crowds like this time of year?

Might want to check your scheduling. The park is back to their Wed-Sun operations. https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Calendar

Crowds are gonna usually be light thru the week and are almost nonexistent for rides as the festivals are the main focus.

Edited by sdcfan88

Noted, seems like an incredible park.

It's either that or Holiday World.... so... I'm rather torn.

SDC all the way. (Assuming you can make it work on a day the park is actually open!)

Then again, even if the park is closed it's worth going and sitting in the parking lot!! The atmosphere is amazing!

Hey all,

Visiting St Louis from the 3rd-8th for an industry conference and will no doubt visit the City Museum and perhaps the Arch.

My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC? What are crowds like this time of year?

Thanks

Crowds will be very low on Monday the 8th. You might be the only one there. https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Calendar

Does SDC do a pumpkin festival like DW as well?

At the moment no, but on another forum geared to the park itself, its being speculated that some big changes are said to be happening after this seasons fall festival with a lot stuff being announced as their final year, it is fair to presume that it could come to the park knowing how successful it was at DW.

Goodness I hope so. A family friendly Halloween SDC event would be amazing. The park layout supports compartmentalizing it too, the Grand Exposition area seems like it'd be a perfect staging area. There's a decent amount of room, its already geared towards kids, and there's no shows back there so even if you don't like the idea of it there's no real reason you'd have to even see it.

Hey all,

Thanks

Crowds will be very low on Monday the 8th. You might be the only one there. https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Calendar

The moose out front should have told you!

...A family friendly Halloween SDC event would be amazing....

Idk... Yes I would LOVE to see a Halloween event come to SDC even if it is a family friendly event... But so many people who frequent the park are so overly religious that I feel any "Halloween" event would be almost detrimental to the park.

It would need to be a "Fall Festival" type thing, and not a "Halloween" thing. People in the area (the majority of the people who would be visiting the park during the fall) seriously freak out if you just mention Halloween because "That's the devils day." So I can't imagine a Halloween event would go over well at SDC.

...A family friendly Halloween SDC event would be amazing....

It would need to be a "Fall Festival" type thing, and not a "Halloween" thing. People in the area (the majority of the people who would be visiting the park during the fall) seriously freak out if you just mention Halloween because "That's the devils day." So I can't imagine a Halloween event would go over well at SDC.

No they don't. What complete bull. Besides... we are not talking haunts and gore. it would certainly be modeled after what they have done at Dollywood. I.supposed they'd be in open rebellion against all the retailers, namely Walmart, that sell Halloween stuff too. This is a park that maintains a fictional graveyard outside of Fire in the Hole.

I think it's a little of both, really. I agree they'd probably have to call it a Fall Festival but could then lump Halloween elements within it.

I love that graveyard! If you're really lucky sometimes they have a undertaker character actor out there. Mr M Balmer, portrayed as a silent character with white contact lenses, and carries a large measuring stick around.

I did a little research now that I was thinking of it and the actor's name is Terry Sanders, and he plays other roles in the park too, and works at other Branson locations as well. Here's a neat little article about him which also touches on SDC history:

http://www.ozarksalive.com/terry-sanders-one-bransons-longest-acting-performers/

I think it's a little of both, really. I agree they'd probably have to call it a Fall Festival but could then lump Halloween elements within it.

I love that graveyard! If you're really lucky sometimes they have a undertaker character actor out there. Mr M Balmer, portrayed as a silent character with white contact lenses, and carries a large measuring stick around.

I did a little research now that I was thinking of it and the actor's name is Terry Sanders, and he plays other roles in the park too, and works at other Branson locations as well. Here's a neat little article about him which also touches on SDC history:

http://www.ozarksalive.com/terry-sanders-one-bransons-longest-acting-performers/

As I was saying, they would have no problem with starting pumpkin focused event like Dollywood. No one expects they to do haunts, the on thing that might target a small group die hard Salem Witch Trial types sparsely populated in the area. The Herschend family is biggest obstacle not the locals especially their big Season Pass bases in the region.

The thing of it is with the newer led lighting many of the lights can color change and b used for this and Christmas,

He's great. Love the new steampunk costume for this year too. Thanks for sharing the article!

There actually are a ton of hardcore religious types there. You always see large groups of people with the signature flannel shirts or long denim skirts. I am sure opinions on Halloween vary among them, but SDC being the park it is doesn't want to step on anyone's toes. Not to mention the fact that SDC pushes itself as a Christian theme park far more than even DW. That's why this pumpkin festival is perfect though. Even the ones most likely to be "offended" won't be THAT offended that they stop coming or anything.

I'll be interested if there's any differences between SDC's and DW's version of the event, but one things seems for sure: it's coming. I expect the announcement in about a month when season passes go on sale.

And yes, Terry Sanders is a legend. You'd be surprised just how many characters he has in his pocket.

For those mentioning the usage of more blatant Halloween themeing at the park, its already been done before, back in the 90s to the early 2000's the Flooded Mine's final scene in the tower used to have some freaky looking ghosts with a laser show.

There actually are a ton of hardcore religious types there. You always see large groups of people with the signature flannel shirts or long denim skirts. I am sure opinions on Halloween vary among them, but SDC being the park it is doesn't want to step on anyone's toes. Not to mention the fact that SDC pushes itself as a Christian theme park far more than even DW.

That's exactly what I was trying to get across!

Regardless, I do hope they do something like DW does for Halloween. It could be something new that could bring in a decent amount of locals during what would normally be a little bit of a slower time of year!