TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

It just seems as something to keep the older guests/coaster enthusiasts entertained as Wildwood Grove is more tame for 2019.

It seems to be exactly what the land needs - an anchor family attraction. I would be legitimately surprised if Dollywood adds anything even close to a major roller coaster before the 2022 season. Wildwood Grove appears to be a hee-uge investment.

I wouldn't be surprised. Pete has already confirmed there would be a phase 2 that's twice the size of phase 1.. the entrance to phase 2 is possibly already on the map (the tunnel).. Phase 1 is supposed to be done next year and I could see them starting land clearing for phase 2 at that time to keep up excitement and construction on it late 2020. I can see a coaster taking up a lot of that land in phase 2 making it's usable size about the same as phase 1.

What Pete hasn't confirmed is if the expansion is two parts and phase 2 will be an entirely different land or if Wildwood Grove is a two phase project. If Wildwood Grove is a two phase project I can see them going straight into phase 2 when 1 is complete. Phase 2 being much larger than phase one, clearly leaves plenty of room for a large coaster and possibly even a large dark ride.

I'd personally find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a large ride as part of phase 2, simply due to the size difference. Unless phase 2 is an on site resort.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I'd personally find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a large ride as part of phase 2, simply due to the size difference. Unless phase 2 is an on site resort.

That's honestly what I was thinking when the land was revealed initially, an on-site themed resort with its own exclusive park gate would be breaking new ground in the United States. That sort of immersion hasn't really been seen much outside of Tokyo Disney Resort and Europa Park.

Now, a big new different kind of ride for Phase 2? That's totally fair game. A new dark ride, a new water ride, a new big show venue, some other new thing... I just don't think Dollywood's next big thing is going to be a coaster the size of, say, Wild Eagle or Lightning Rod, before a few years from now. They have plenty of potential to use the in-between years to expand Splash Country too, right?

When you think of resorts think of this. A resort will take around 2 years to build. DreamMore was announced August 2013, and opened in 2015. The new proposed plan spans over 5 years. The last was 10 years and Wildwood Grove was the final touch of that 10 year. I feel like the park needs to expand just a little bit more before a resort is put in park. Give more room to move around.

If you ride the train, as you pass the end of the clearing look to your right. They’re already clearing down the mountain. Which makes me wonder how far they’re actually going to expand?

"The company is now working on the next five-year plan for Dollywood. “We’ve been happy with lodgings, so we will continue to expand that piece of the business. We will also continue to add new attractions to Dollywood.” 

That's directly from this interview I posted about a month ago from the president of HFE.

https://blooloop.com/features/jane-cooper-herschend-family-entertainment/

It's very very possible that the new resort or something to do with their resorts, or possibly just dreammore is currently in the works. Phase 2 will be the end of this 5 year expansion (or the start of the 5 year, depending on how she is phrasing "currently working on") so the timing matches perfectly, again for phase 2

The new attractions could be phase 1 and lodging phase 2.

At this point anything is possible, but, they haven't made anything announced or even hinted at about large rides.. they have hinted at a new resort, or at least something to do with their lodgings.

Although, being local, I'd rather have rides vs hotels but hotels bring in guest, and an on site hotel, locks the guest in a little better than off-site.

When I stay in an on-site hotel at Disney or even Breakers at Cedar Point, I never even have the thought of leaving the area for an evening. If I stay at an off-site hotel such as Breakers express or a chain hotel it's like 'where do you wanna go eat dinner'

Dreammore is technically off-site.. the area is so small and your so close to other attractions, by the time you ride the tram back to the hotel, it's just as easy to hop in your car and go somewhere. On-site hotels such as Breakers and Disney, it's not that easy. Even the value resorts at Disney, itt sometimes easier to just go back to the park to eat vs driving into town

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Visiting the park next Wednesday during our roadtour across the south. Do you guys give us any chance Lightning Rod will be open? Already visited the park 3 years ago and the main reason we are back is LR so it will be a little disapointing if it will be closed.

Of course we will have a good time( staying @Dreammore, cinnamonbread!) but it will be better when it includes another RMC to ride for us.

Thanks!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I wouldn’t totally bank on it being open. I mean it could open by then, but I wouldn’t put my money on it. The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now. It just seems to be sitting there with lights off, and all doors shut. Has been since July 5th.

Heading to Dollywood for week before Christmas. First time in area for the Christmas season. Any tips I need to know? Thank you

Bring warm clothes - we went last year for Smoky Mountain Christmas and it got pretty chilly (we were thankful for the coats.)

Cinnamon bread line gets huge in the evening - just letting you know.

Have fun and definitely try to get to Gatlinburg for the mountain coasters and stuff while you are there.

David

And whatever you do, don't forget to visit the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge and Earthquake The Ride in Gatlinburg for two of the most memorable attractions you will ever experience. Both attractions are "Now Open!" and always have a crowd of rather still onlookers outside each establishment (you've probably seen one of the spectators with his creepy toothy grin many times on this site). Both offer visitors state-of-the-art special effects that you have to see to truly believe. Both feature a cohesive storyline and historically accurate scenes, such as wall-leaping werewolves inside the Jurassic Jungle and a giant ape during the Earthquake. And both consistently rank at the bottom of Trip Advisor's "Things To Do" list in their respective cities.

Seriously, if you enjoy a good train wreck and don't mind flushing $15 down the drain for each of the above rides, then do yourself a favor and check them out. They are so bad that they are actually... well... I guess they are just plain bad!

And whatever you do, don't forget to visit the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge and Earthquake The Ride in Gatlinburg for two of the most memorable attractions you will ever experience. Both attractions are "Now Open!" and always have a crowd of rather still onlookers outside each establishment (you've probably seen one of the spectators with his creepy toothy grin many times on this site). Both offer visitors state-of-the-art special effects that you have to see to truly believe. Both feature a cohesive storyline and historically accurate scenes, such as wall-leaping werewolves inside the Jurassic Jungle and a giant ape during the Earthquake. And both consistently rank at the bottom of Trip Advisor's "Things To Do" list in their respective cities.

Seriously, if you enjoy a good train wreck and don't mind flushing $15 down the drain for each of the above rides, then do yourself a favor and check them out. They are so bad that they are actually... well... I guess they are just plain bad!

Oh wow, I love cheesy terrible stuff like that lol I really need to get over there some time. But it's always a toss up between Gatlinburg and Branson, and SDC always wins out for me.

On a cool note. Google Maps has updated the area over at Dollywood. Looks like it was taken around March.

Also, interestingly, Google Earth’s 3D map also was updated for the first time since 2013.

They also updated the terrain over Wildwood Grove and the Preferred parking lot to be flat like in real life.

24A95587-2386-473B-AD6A-166FFB0CE126.jpeg.80ad1de08ae4a4175fc90b527534d859.jpeg

D0DFD79F-05C9-40EC-AD65-50B5C3079BBB.thumb.png.53b26ea18acf5c550c70591d09dad1c5.png

I wouldn’t totally bank on it being open. I mean it could open by then, but I wouldn’t put my money on it. The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now. It just seems to be sitting there with lights off, and all doors shut. Has been since July 5th.

Damn, Lightning Rod has been down THAT LONG?

Visited the park last wednesday. As expected Lightning Rod was still closed with no movement or employers around the ride all day.

Because it was the main reason we went back to the park after visiting DW 4 years ago, it was a little bit of a bummer.

Planned to visit Carowinds this evening and tomorrow......we have no luck with the coasters on this vacation[emoji12][emoji35]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now.

Did you seriously just imply that the people who would otherwise be working on Lightning Rod can’t do it this week because they’re (presumably) busy carving jack o lanterns?

They’re not the same people.

Visited Dollywood today for the first time. Lightning Rod is still down. Mystery Mine was down a lot as well.

Tennessee Tornado, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, and FireChaser Express were all up and running.

Crowds were extremely light. Got 5 rides on Thunderhead, 4 rides on Tornado and Wild Eagle, 3 on Blazing Fury and FireChaser Express, and 2 on Mystery Mine. I was there from 10:00 to 5:00. Also got on most of the flat rides and water rides. The Screamin' Swing was only running one side. I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

If I'd been able to stay later, I'd have just rode Thunderhead over and over again. That ride was really great. I expected it to be a very good wooden coaster, but I didn't think it would be nearly as amazing as it was. I can't imagine how much better Lightning Rod will be.

I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com! It typically stays listed on the site throughout the year.

Has anyone heard more about what's going with this long-time ride

The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now.

Did you seriously just imply that the people who would otherwise be working on Lightning Rod can’t do it this week because they’re (presumably) busy carving jack o lanterns?

I was seriously think the exact same thing as I was reading that post.

I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com! It typically stays listed on the site throughout the year.

Has anyone heard more about what's going with this long-time ride

Maybe it's about to get the same treatment the one at SDC got?

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com!

It's still listed in the app, but may not have been updated yet.

Would hate to see it go.

On a cool note. Google Maps has updated the area over at Dollywood. Looks like it was taken around March.

Also, interestingly, Google Earth’s 3D map also was updated for the first time since 2013.

They also updated the terrain over Wildwood Grove and the Preferred parking lot to be flat like in real life.

So cool! I had it all messed up in my mind and this makes it so plain. It is amazing how large the clearing is compared to the whole park! There are 8 acres left of the 13 cleared. Looks like so much space! And in my mind I was thinking this clearing headed up towards the train loop but it doesn't it goes another direction. The map sure makes it more plain. I am so glad you posted this. I have been looking at it on google earth and love all the 3D scenery. It is fun seeing the drained pools at the water park too lol.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com!

It's still listed in the app, but may not have been updated yet.

Would hate to see it go.

Slidewinder closed on September 3rd for the season. I’m not sure why it always closes in early September when all the other water rides close Nov 3rd, but yea. I don’t think it’ll be going anywhere haha.Its one of those rides you just don’t take out, simply for the fact people who’ve came to the park since it opened have ridden Slidewinder. Same with Blazing Fury.

We will need all mechanics who are experts on our roller coasters carving pumpkins this week. Lightning Rod will have to wait we NEED these pumpkins carved!