TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Free-Fly Coaster, Batman™: The Ride to Open at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2019

A Fantastic 4D, Flipping, Weightless Coaster Experience

VALLEJO, Calif. — August 30, 2018 — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, and Warner Bros. Consumer Products, on behalf of DC Entertainment, announces the opening in Spring 2019 of the park’s most innovative new coasters to date — Batman: The Ride — themed after one of the world’s most iconic DC Super Heroes. Riders on this 4D wing coaster will experience a sensory overload as they flip head-over-heels at least six times along a weightless, tumbling journey with unexpected drops and vertical free-falls.

“As the world leader in thrills, Six Flags continues to raise the bar to deliver the most unique and innovative experiences in the industry,” said Park President Don McCoy. “On Batman: The Ride, riders are suspended outward on either side of the track as the cars flip continuously throughout the course of the ride. This coaster is a game-changer and the perfect complement to our already impressive DC Super Hero and Super-Villain lineup which includes Superman Ultimate Flight, The Joker and Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster.”

After being lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill, thrill-seekers will experience exhilarating leaps and dives along a horizontal plane, with unexpected drops as they tumble from one level to the next. The pandemonium and chaos ramps up since there is no track above or below — just the sky, ground, and plenty of sinister thrills.

The unique design of Batman: The Ride features:

- A massive, imposing, floating and twisting I-box track frame in a unique two-tone design;

- One-of-a-kind onboard magnetic technology featuring smooth head-over-heels free-fly flips, giving guests the feeling of weightlessness as they soar outside the confines of a traditional track;

- 4D wing vehicles that seat up to eight per vehicle with a total of five vehicles;

- Face-off seats that allow riders to face each other as they tumble head-over-heels;

- A 120-foot-tall, 90-degree hill that is ascended by an elevator-style, chain link lift; and

- Two beyond 90-degree “raven” drops giving the sensation of free-falling.

For more information on Batman: The Ride and next season at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, visit https://sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newfor2019.

Edited by robbalvey

And they are creating a pretty cool little DC area over there as well in the process! I definitely hope 2019 is the year I can somehow make it out the SFDK for the first time! (Since my plans to do it, and WCB, this Fall, are DOA... )

This was a surprise! I went to the park for the first time last weekend and thought it was pretty dreadful...but they do keep getting cool additions. Hopefully someone will come in soon and clean up the place.

I also noted to my friend, "Interesting how there are attractions themed to Harley Quinn, Penguin, and the Joker...but not Batman." And here we go. lol

This is the parks 4th coaster in 7 years. Pretty awesome

2012- Superman

2016- Joker

2018- Harley Quinn

2019- Batman

Also it looks like part of the queue will be inside?

Throw in the frisbee and year-round operation announcement a few years ago and this park has had an insane series of great additions.

Surprised to see them remove the go carts, although I've always said that's a perfect place for the next coaster. Does anyone know if they're going to be moving the go carts to elsewhere in the park?

Also just want to second (third?) the idea that this park has had great additions lately. Really, since Superman was added the park has improved greatly. It's low key a really, really good park

Well then, this was unexpected. What a great surprise! It seems like a lot of us were musing that one of these could eventually end up in the go-karts area, and it's actually happening. I really enjoyed the one at SFFT. I only got two rides on it (due to the long line), and left the park wanting more. This will fix that! That corner of the park has all sorts of awesome now.

Anyone else wondering why V2 hasn't been rebranded to The Flash yet? That side if the park is gonna get very crowded but I'm happy we are getting one. Harley was a massive disappointment so this helps. They are going to have an interesting decision to make about the animals in the park. The exhibits are in a very sad state and the shows, although educational, are depressing. I would love to see Six Flags open a animal only park nearby and bring back a version of Marine World/ Africa USA.

Good to see that they are investing in this park.

I gotta be honest, the one I rode at SFFT almost re-arranged several verterbrae (I wasn't expecting the intensity of the second (?) flip), and it just didn't feel particularly comfortable in unexpected ways.

That said, it's a cool design and I can see how many would like it.

Wow, SFDK getting a Free Spin was completely unexpected and a great surprise this morning (to everyone except SFStl fans ). I rode one of these for the first time last month at SFGAdv and they are tons of fun. I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. The restraints are pretty comfortable for all the flipping that you do and I didn't find them painful at all. It's better ride in every way possible than that POS Green Lantern at SFMM.

I really like all of the investments that this park has been receiving lately. With CGA getting a Raptor and their rumored hyper, it's great to see SFDK continue to make big additions and not let CGA pass them by.

Well then, this was unexpected. What a great surprise! It seems like a lot of us were musing that one of these could eventually end up in the go-karts area, and it's actually happening. I really enjoyed the one at SFFT. I only got two rides on it (due to the long line), and left the park wanting more. This will fix that! That corner of the park has all sorts of awesome now.

I thought the same thing! People have been saying for a long time that they should get one of these in the go-karts area, but I didn't expect it for next year! That area of the park really is becoming so lively with new additions every year! And it does make sense that they would have a Batman coaster in that area. Though I'm not a big DC fan, this ties in really nicely with the emerging DC area they are making there. Just need a rebrand of V2 and they'll be good!

Also wondering if they will move the go-karts. I can't really think of anywhere else that the go-karts would be good at, unless they removed something. They can't have them too close to the lake due to noise and pollution, so it would have to be more center in the park.

Also, I follow some of the SFDK animal pages on Instagram and they still do really care for their animals. Some of them have died recently due to old age. I'm not sure if they experience influx of new animals too often, though they have occasionally gotten rescue animals. I can see the park watering down the variety of animal experiences they have as their current animals slowly die off ( ), but I don't see them getting rid of their dolphins or sea lions any time soon, as well as others.

Love that they are beefing up the rides collection. Wish they would do more to theme the whole area/add more shade.

As far as the animals? I would love for them to redo the entire back half of the park into a safari. The older enclosures are depressing in how small they are.

A raven drop / turn is where the track does half of an airtime hill and then finishes off with a downward half loop, sending the train in the opposite direction from which it came, oriented upside-down from where it was. Here's Eejanaika, the 4-D coaster at Fuji-Q Highland. It's basically half of a flying coaster pretzel loop.

The raven turn only works on coasters where the trains can compensate for the upside-down orientation that happens after the half loop, such as 4-D coasters and flying coasters. 4-D coasters and the Free Spins (like Batman) can keep guests upright at the end of the turn, though they will be traveling backwards as a result. On Flying coasters, guests end up on their back so the intense positive Gs are still safe. If you were to do a raven turn on a "normal" coaster you would likely be subjected to up to 4 or more negative Gs, upside down. Not exactly safe.

After years of coasters and thrill rides I would like to see them take a season now and invest in the animals. That is what makes that particular park different. To many empty or small or worn down animal enclosures and stadiums