Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:18 am

Free-Fly Coaster, Batman™: The Ride to Open at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2019

A Fantastic 4D, Flipping, Weightless Coaster Experience

VALLEJO, Calif. — August 30, 2018 — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, and Warner Bros. Consumer Products, on behalf of DC Entertainment, announces the opening in Spring 2019 of the park’s most innovative new coasters to date — Batman: The Ride — themed after one of the world’s most iconic DC Super Heroes. Riders on this 4D wing coaster will experience a sensory overload as they flip head-over-heels at least six times along a weightless, tumbling journey with unexpected drops and vertical free-falls.

“As the world leader in thrills, Six Flags continues to raise the bar to deliver the most unique and innovative experiences in the industry,” said Park President Don McCoy. “On Batman: The Ride, riders are suspended outward on either side of the track as the cars flip continuously throughout the course of the ride. This coaster is a game-changer and the perfect complement to our already impressive DC Super Hero and Super-Villain lineup which includes Superman Ultimate Flight, The Joker and Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster.”

After being lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill, thrill-seekers will experience exhilarating leaps and dives along a horizontal plane, with unexpected drops as they tumble from one level to the next. The pandemonium and chaos ramps up since there is no track above or below — just the sky, ground, and plenty of sinister thrills.

The unique design of Batman: The Ride features:

- A massive, imposing, floating and twisting I-box track frame in a unique two-tone design;

- One-of-a-kind onboard magnetic technology featuring smooth head-over-heels free-fly flips, giving guests the feeling of weightlessness as they soar outside the confines of a traditional track;

- 4D wing vehicles that seat up to eight per vehicle with a total of five vehicles;

- Face-off seats that allow riders to face each other as they tumble head-over-heels;

- A 120-foot-tall, 90-degree hill that is ascended by an elevator-style, chain link lift; and

- Two beyond 90-degree “raven” drops giving the sensation of free-falling.

For more information on Batman: The Ride and next season at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, visit https://sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newfor2019.
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:18 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:43 am

This is the parks 4th coaster in 7 years. Pretty awesome

2012- Superman
2016- Joker
2018- Harley Quinn
2019- Batman

Also it looks like part of the queue will be inside?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:47 am

And they are creating a pretty cool little DC area over there as well in the process! I definitely hope 2019 is the year I can somehow make it out the SFDK for the first time! (Since my plans to do it, and WCB, this Fall, are DOA... :cry: )

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 am

I actually really like free flies so I'm always happy to see another one of these things built.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:04 am

This was a surprise! I went to the park for the first time last weekend and thought it was pretty dreadful...but they do keep getting cool additions. Hopefully someone will come in soon and clean up the place.

I also noted to my friend, "Interesting how there are attractions themed to Harley Quinn, Penguin, and the Joker...but not Batman." And here we go. lol

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:38 am

Great addition! Congrats!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:40 am

This was definitely the biggest surprise for me in the announcement video. Looks like a great addition. I figured it was only a matter of time before Discovery Kingdom got a Free Spin.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby coasterbill » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:45 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:This is the parks 4th coaster in 7 years. Pretty awesome

2012- Superman
2016- Joker
2018- Harley Quinn
2019- Batman

Also it looks like part of the queue will be inside?

Throw in the frisbee and year-round operation announcement a few years ago and this park has had an insane series of great additions.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:52 am

Surprised to see them remove the go carts, although I've always said that's a perfect place for the next coaster. Does anyone know if they're going to be moving the go carts to elsewhere in the park?

Also just want to second (third?) the idea that this park has had great additions lately. Really, since Superman was added the park has improved greatly. It's low key a really, really good park

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:15 am

Well then, this was unexpected. What a great surprise! It seems like a lot of us were musing that one of these could eventually end up in the go-karts area, and it's actually happening. I really enjoyed the one at SFFT. I only got two rides on it (due to the long line), and left the park wanting more. This will fix that! That corner of the park has all sorts of awesome now.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!