Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby JG-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm going to predict that it is removed and replaced with this. That way whatever is announced will *probably* exceed expectations ;)
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 am

Maryland’s First Floorless Roller Coaster to Debut at Six Flags America in 2019

Epic Thrill Ride, FIREBIRD, Takes Flight

UPPER MARLBORO, MD — August 30, 2018 — Six Flags America, DC’s Thrill Capital, today announced FIREBIRD, the only floorless roller coaster in Maryland, will open in spring 2019. This all-new coaster experience will take thrill-seekers through incredible twists, drops and inversions, all while seated in state-of-the-art floorless trains.

“Six Flags is always taking thrilling innovation to the next level,” said Park President Rick Howarth. “FIREBIRD is a game-changer; offering guests an unparalleled, new riding experience. The floorless trains will give riders the sensation of being airborne as they soar along a half-mile of track with nothing beneath their feet but the wind.”

FIREBIRD’s exhilarating flight path takes off with a heart pumping, nine-story drop, and features two thrilling inversions and a smoother, faster riding experience.

FIREBIRD highlights:

· Two state-of-the-art sit-down floorless trains, precision designed and built by Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard ;

· Multiple high-banked curves with high-speed carousel and corkscrew rolls; and

· A twisted airtime hill plus an adrenaline pumping figure-eight finale.

Guests will be able to bid farewell to Apocalypse on September 8 with special ride times offered to Members and members of American Coaster Enthusiasts. FIREBIRD is scheduled to open spring 2019.

For more information on FIREBIRD and next season at Six Flags America, visit https://sixflags.com/America/newfor2019.
SFAM 23754 FireBird KA_RedBkgrnd_LARGE.jpg
FIREBIRD_train montage - large.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:08 am

I'm willing to give this a try with floorless trains. The layout is small but actually not that bad if you remove the headbanging from those stand-up OSTRs.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Wisp Resort & Fun Fore All

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

I'm excited about this! Never made it out to SFA yet, but rode Apocalypse when it was Iron Wolf, and as with most Standups, "meh"... So any Floorless conversion is a good Floorless conversion to me! (Though, I'd like to check out Georgia Scorcher while it's still a stand-up, since it's regarded as one of the better ones - I'm glad it didn't get the conversion treatment this year!)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby steamedturtle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:12 am

Are the new trains going to be six or seven cars?

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Highridin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 am

Finally! After all of the laughing and clowning that Six Flags would never invest in this park, and making this conversion, they proved everyone wrong. Looking forward to seeing if anyone is all torn up over this. This is great. We've been talking about this happening for years. Well, it happened.
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Highridin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 am

steamedturtle wrote:Are the new trains going to be six or seven cars?

6. See pic.
IMG_20180830_063554_219.jpg
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 am

Biggest surprise of the morning for me. I truly cannot believe they are hanging onto this hunk-o-junk.

At least you guys aren't losing a coaster? :lol:

Postby SLCHeadache » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am

I'll gladly take it. SFA's coaster lineup is now decently well-rounded. Hyper, woodies, launch, flier, (awful) invert, and now a looper.

So glad it's not Fortnite like that awful hoax said.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Postby steamedturtle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 am

Highridin wrote:
steamedturtle wrote:Are the new trains going to be six or seven cars?

6. See pic.

I think it's still an open question. Yeah the little diagram there shows 6, and that may be accurate. But the animation shows 8, and the picture shows 7. Most floorless trains have 7 or 8. Apocalypse currently has 7, and I think there's only one B&M floorless in the world with 6 car trains. Patriot, which is comparable, got 7 car trains.

I think 6 car trains would be better because they should help keep a good pace during the second half of the ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!