TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I need to get back to Skyrush and re-ride it: I only got to ride it once, in the back, on a very busy, hot day (when they had sold out of "fast passes!"), with 2-minute dispatches causing an hour+ wait, and, to cap it off, a woman barfed in the line directly in front of me. Putting that parade of horribles all together, it may have affected why I wasn't as impressed with the ride as I felt I *should* have been: loved the first drop and the air, but it seemed over very quickly?

Agreed that a B&M hyper would feel very different than Skyrush: I initially thought there would be some redundancy, but totally different layouts and feel, as others pointed out. And I am glad I am not alone in being confused by Cedar Fair essentially building larger versions of existing B&M hypers at the two CW's

Finally, it is interesting how B&M owned the '90s in terms of innovation and intensity, but never really pushed the envelope with their hypers in terms of intensity or airtime? I have only been on the "first generation" B&M hypers (e.g., Raging Bull, Apollo's Chariot, Silver Star, Nitro) and they all felt like essentially very similar profiles -- enjoyable rides, but designed to provide nothing more than floater air. Are the newer generation hypers/ gigas more aggressive in airtime? (e.g., Fury 325 or Diamond Back or Mako).

Is it just me, or did they change the restraint sensors on Skyrush? I didn't get walk of shamed, but on this trip, they had to staple the hell outta me. Also, I noticed that this year, the ride ops shuffled a lot of larger people on the ride to the winged seats, almost making the wing seats the unofficial "big boy seats" of skyrush.

It's an absolute beast of a coaster though. It's truly amazing with some of the most impressive air I have ever felt on a coaster.

Just dragging this back up from a few pages ago:

Finally firming up a weekend East Coast trip next month. (Mainly to see closing night of a Broadway show.) Since the show is Sunday night have decided to make a return visit to Hershey and get that elusive ride on Skyrush. (We were next to ride before they shut it down.) How are crowds on September Saturday's? Specifically I am going the 15th.

In ideal land, I would spend opening till around 2-3PM at Hershey then drive up to Knoebels for the evening. (Sue me.) Was just at the park last year in May so did most of the stuff so just really looking to hit a few things that we missed and some ride some favorites. Mainly Skyrush, Storm Runner, Chocolate World (didn't do as well), ZooAmerica possibly, and a couple of others.

Park Hours:

Hersheypark: 10AM-10PM

Knoebels: 12PM-8PM

(Mainly to see closing night of a Broadway show.)

More importantly, which show? Spongebob closes on the 16th, you know!

giphy.gif

You guessed it.

You should definitely get your money's worth and spend some time at Hersheypark the evening before.

That's what I was planning on but oddly enough they are not open that Friday. (The day I fly in.)

giphy.gif

You guessed it.

Oh, I'm so jealous! We loved the show! I've actually considered doing a classic TPR "Coaster Expedition" style video to "I'm not a Simple Sponge." Enjoy the show! At least there is a good video of it floating around for those who want to relive it after it closes!

giphy.gif

You guessed it.

Oh, I'm so jealous! We loved the show! I've actually considered doing a classic TPR "Coaster Expedition" style video to "I'm not a Simple Sponge." Enjoy the show! At least there is a good video of it floating around for those who want to relive it after it closes!

I need to go track down this video after work. Really would have loved to see that musical. I’m not the hugest fan of the show but I have friends who dislike it more than me and they loved the musical for its energy and catchy songs

Friday and Sunday usually are the low crowd days. Saturday during Hersheypark in the Dark usually has horrible crowds. Last year I remember looking at the app and it was showing a 60 minute wait for Trailblazer and sooperdooperlooper. I usually try to go on a Sunday when everything except Laff Trakk is 5 - 10 minutes.

I love getting all these announcements early. I figure what Hershey is doing in 2020 is going to be gigantic with adding the new land and all...They're going to need to start working on it right away. Wise decision for the park imo. Can't wait! 2020 is going to be an awesome year!

I understand and totally respect all the comments on the differences , pros and cons of adding another potentially similar ride to Skyrush to the new area at Hersheypark. But what if they’re actually going with a groundbreaking hybrid coaster ? With the tech available today, it wouldn’t be anything for RMC or even GCI to create a wooden hybrid hyper of some type.

I understand and totally respect all the comments on the differences , pros and cons of adding another potentially similar ride to Skyrush to the new area at Hersheypark. But what if they’re actually going with a groundbreaking hybrid coaster ? With the tech available today, it wouldn’t be anything for RMC or even GCI to create a wooden hybrid hyper of some type.

I would love that but the B&M on the permits makes me doubt the possibility. I really don’t love B&M but even my thick head has accepted it’s going to be a B&M hyper. FYI I am still really pro Wildcat RMC.

If they waste all that money on a Beemer instead of giving Comet a much-needed refurb then they're just being silly. I'm not saying RMC-ify Comet, but that thing really needs some TLC. Last time I rode it I was surprised it held together.