TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

This is amazing news, not only because it's a log flume but because this really completes the revitalization of the area between Cyclone and the baseball stadium. That little strip was super sketchy and generally just an overgrown eyesore.

It doesn't look like it will extend all the way back to Surf Avenue but I guess that's probably a plus since it saves the Cyclones from needing to install a net to catch home run balls which would (in itself) be sort of hideous. The way it is now you would need an absolute bomb which isn't going to happen all that often in the New York Penn League.

I love the additions to the end of the streets also.

Exciting to see a new log flume pop up in the states. Hopefully we will start seeing more added back into parks that have recently removed theirs.

Overall, this looks like a solid addition to the park. Looks like it's time for me to start planning a New England trip.

Exciting to see a new log flume pop up in the states. Hopefully we will start seeing more added back into parks that have recently removed theirs.

Honestly, log flumes removals aren't a major thing at pay-per-ride parks. They're overwhelmingly popular attractions and parks know that but they're expensive to operate so pay-one-price parks that don't get a measurable ROI per ride seem to be much more likely to remove them.

That really looks like a gorgeous flume. A vast improvement over the Wild River they currently have over there. I have to assume that one's days are probably numbered. And my little guy loves ropes courses as well (even if he gets terrified at certain points and completely unable to move...) so that'll be a nice, fun addition as well!

Definitely looking forward to this in the future!

Certainly exciting. I love to hear that they’re starting to run out of room to build. The two little pedestrian plazas mentioned.. I just looked back at a picture that showed these parcels (W 12th and Stillwell) when the city was accepting proposals and I don’t quite understand where the plots are. Are they going to just convert these two streets from Bowery up to the boardwalk into plazas?

The existing flume is 4 blocks away so I wouldn't be shocked if they keep it. Remember, it's not a traditional amusement park. Their target demographic is really just people walking around or coming up from the beach, seeing something and saying "ooh, we should ride that".

The existing flume is 4 blocks away so I wouldn't be shocked if they keep it. Remember, it's not a traditional amusement park. Their target demographic is really just people walking around or coming up from the beach, seeing something and saying "ooh, we should ride that".

No I agree 100%, my reasoning was I wasn't even sure if Zamperla owned it since it was in the old Astroworld section or whatever. I have no idea what goes on there. I live 15 minutes away, all I care about is it is improving.

Very nice to see a simple flume ride being built; we've lost so many. I believe Zamperla logs are old-school style? Restraint-free!?

Take note Cedar Point: little drop FIRST, big drop LAST (that wasn't a proper flume ride anyway, but the idea still applies).

I know most of you are drooling over the log flume, but the Ropes Course may prove much more interesting. Has Zamperla made a ropes course before? There are many different manufacturers worldwide but in the US we're pretty used to the Ropes Course Inc. ones we see everywhere. Curious to see what their version is like.

I know most of you are drooling over the log flume, but the Ropes Course may prove much more interesting. Has Zamperla made a ropes course before? There are many different manufacturers worldwide but in the US we're pretty used to the Ropes Course Inc. ones we see everywhere. Curious to see what their version is like.

Having had a lifelong love affair with Coney Island, it's always thrilling to read of any and all new adventures coming to the park/boardwalk. Am very curious to to try out the Ropes Course. Sad to say, I've never had the opportunity to try one. I think Coney Island would be my perfect introduction!

Alice

I would be very surprised if they keep old log flume, but that just means we have more new additions in the future.

https://www.zamperla.com/thrill-rides/

I would like a newer version Air Race to replace the current one.

Also I think the footprint for the old log flume is big enough to be replaced with two rides: Twist and Bounce, Super Spin and Energy Storm

Here's the original Press Release

https://www.nycedc.com/press-release/nycedc-and-nyc-parks-announce-plans-new-water-ride-adventure-park-and-public-plaza

NYCEDC and NYC Parks Announce Plans for New Water Ride, Adventure Park, and Public Plaza on Coney Island Boardwalk

August 23, 2018

City to Bring Log Flume, Adventure Park with Ropes Course, Public Plaza, and Arcade to Historic Coney Island Boardwalk

Attractions Build on Administration’s Investments in Affordable Housing, Infrastructure, and Economic Development across Coney Island

Coney Island, NY - New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) and NYC Parks today announced plans to bring a new large-scale water ride, adventure park, and public plaza with open-air food options and an arcade to Coney Island’s world-famous amusement district. The City has selected Central Amusement International (CAI) to activate 150,000 square feet of City-owned land in the heart of the amusement district. This adds momentum to the Administration’s investments in affordable housing, infrastructure, cultural facilities, and economic development across the neighborhood.

"Coney Island is both a cherished summertime destination and an important economic engine for South Brooklyn,” said James Patchett, President and CEO of New York City Economic Development Corporation. “With these exciting new attractions and our ongoing investments in housing and infrastructure, Coney Island’s future has never looked brighter.”

“The Coney Island Amusement District is a nostalgic New York City destination, and we are proud to be a part of improving and evolving it for future generations to enjoy,” said NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver, FAICP. “We are confident that the new developments to Luna Park will add even more fun for the thousands of families that flock to Coney Island each year.”

"Recapturing the best of Coney Island's past is a big part of the future at the People's Playground. This continues the revitalization of the amusement district, offering exciting new activities and attractions for residents and visitors alike to enjoy," said Council Member Mark Treyger (47th District).

"It is an honor to work with the City of New York to continue the expansion of Luna Park and the revitalization of the historic Coney Island amusement district," said Alessandro Zamperla, President of Luna Park. “Our shared commitment to the constant growth and development of Coney Island has allowed us to burnish this iconic place. We are expanding Luna Park by 50 percent, adding new attractions and entertainment while also providing spaces where guests surrounded by timeless excitement can eat, play, rest, and escape the mundane. A spectacular new portal with thousands of glorious lights will welcome guests as they arrive from the subway, asserting Luna Park as one of the nation's most dynamic amusement destinations that must be visited by New Yorkers and tourists.”

"As the birthplace of roller coasters and other iconic amusement attractions, it is remarkable to have new innovations continue to be added to our iconic landscape," said Alexandra Silversmith, Executive Director of Alliance for Coney Island. "We are ecstatic about EDC's announcement of the newest amusements and amenities that will be developed by Central Amusement International signalling the further revitalization of Coney Island. We look forward to these new additions bringing more thrills and fun to the area in 2019, and beyond!"

"We are pleased to see Central Amusement International selected as the recipient of the Coney East Amusement RFP. With the many successes from CAI, we have confidence with them in filling in the amusement area with entertainment uses,” said Eddie Mark, District Manager of Brooklyn CB 13.

Located next to the Thunderbolt rollercoaster, CAI will transform vacant land at the boardwalk into an exciting new log flume and an adventure park, featuring a ropes course for visitors of all ages to climb and enjoy views of the boardwalk and ocean.

CAI is also activating street ends with public seating, landscaping, and a new public plaza with an open-air style eatery and entertainment area with an arcade and games. Activated street ends will better connect the Coney Island community to the historic amusements district with new seating, shade, and a pedestrian-only area which is closed off to cars.

Building off of the City’s investment in the amusement district, NYCEDC and NYC Parks released a request for proposals (RFP) in 2017 to develop and operate five parcels of land totaling 150,000 square feet between Surf Avenue and the boardwalk, and between West 10th and West 16th Streets. This investment continues the City’s commitment to preserving the amusement district and creation of additional parkland, both enhancing the community and visitors’ experience of Coney Island, and generating vigorous economic activity in the neighborhood.

Since 2014, the de Blasio administration has committed $180 million in infrastructure and other capital improvements through the Housing New York plan. The new attractions will build on the ongoing City investment across the Coney Island neighborhood to bring thousands of units of affordable and mixed-income housing, critical infrastructure upgrades, and improvements to cultural institutions including the restoration of the historic Child’s Building, including the addition of Kitchen 21, the new 5,000-seat Ford Amphitheater, and the recently-opened Ocean Wonders: Sharks! exhibit at the New York Aquarium.

In 2009, a 19-block rezoning created a 27-acre amusement and entertainment district on Coney Island, along with plans to develop new amusements and thousands of affordable and market-rate homes. The full implementation of this plan, which continues today, is expected to generate up to 6,000 permanent jobs, 25,000 construction jobs, and $14 billion in economic activity.

Edited by larrygator

WARNING! NERD ALERT INCOMING!

I know it's concept art, but having done ropes course concept work myself, that looks like a Ropes Courses Inc installation to me. Definitely custom though. They're the only manufacturer that I know of that does square-shape pole arrangements (Sky Trail Explorer), and one of their big selling points are the extra elements they can add to a modular design (zip lines, zip rails, etc).

As always, I have a humble pie all made up and ready to be put in the oven...

^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.

This is amazing news, not only because it's a log flume but because this really completes the revitalization of the area between Cyclone and the baseball stadium. That little strip was super sketchy and generally just an overgrown eyesore.

It doesn't look like it will extend all the way back to Surf Avenue but I guess that's probably a plus since it saves the Cyclones from needing to install a net to catch home run balls which would (in itself) be sort of hideous. The way it is now you would need an absolute bomb which isn't going to happen all that often in the New York Penn League.

I love the additions to the end of the streets also.

I'm still confused about the area between the Thunderbolt and the Stadium. To me it still appears that half of the vacant lot will remain vacant. I think this will be a future water park.

My interpretation

It sounds like the flume will be entered from the beach and will stretch from the walkway alongside the B&B Carousel/stadium to the Thunderbolt, but I can't imagine it stretching more than 1/3 of the way to Surf.

Ropes Course/Zip Line will not go on the vacant lot, but on 15th street between Wonder Wheel Way and the boardwalk

Stillwell Avenue between Wonder Wheel Way and the Boardwalk will be filled with skill games.

12th Avenue between Wonder Wheel way and boardwalk will be filled with food stands

ConeyIsland2018Map.thumb.JPG.716942d0f24aca828800ffd3b967110d.JPG

flume.jpeg.c8fb6e4dcbcd4aec7f6b954b5818b763.jpeg

Fits between the Thunderbolt and B&B Carousel

ropes.jpeg.5df9e5fa891ce272ca6754ba93550a8b.jpeg

Fits between Thunderbolt and GoKarts

games.jpeg.80d4aed063091d6c6f907e3c58b24205.jpeg

Fits between GoKarts and Soaring Eagle

ConeyIsland2018Map.thumb.JPG.df03800ccfc431c7b7041541610cdd6a.JPG

Future installations

Edited by larrygator

^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.

To add to this. CAI (Zamperla) has been awarded responsibility for every ride in the Coney Island amusement district except for the following:

Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, obviously

a few independent rides on West 12th (Ghost Hole, Saturn 6, two other flats)

Thor Equities still owns 55,000 sq feet, which is used for the art walls/food containers and Brooklyn Miniature Golf and Go Karts. They still have dreams of building a hotel and movie theater on these parcels someday.

Edited by larrygator

I’ll be curious how they fill the space for the flume. If it’s gonna go all the way across that lot width wise, they’ll have to find a way to build further back, etc if it’s to be connected. If all continues to go well, maybe a tiny little water park could fit in the remainder of the lot? People would likely enjoy that!

I’ll be curious how they fill the space for the flume. If it’s gonna go all the way across that lot width wise, they’ll have to find a way to build further back, etc if it’s to be connected. If all continues to go well, maybe a tiny little water park could fit in the remainder of the lot? People would likely enjoy that!

Filling that whole space lengthwise is an assumption of mine, quite possibly it won't be that wide.

There was a lot of buzz about a water park when the applications first went out and I remember reading somewhere that one submission (of course not from CAI) was a water park on that whole site from Surf Street to the Boardwalk.

This brief news article states that a water park is part of the current plan. In my opinion that fits perfectly behind the log flume filling the vacant lot to Surf Avenue.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/23/city-unveils-plans-for-new-water-park-arcade-on-coney-island/

City Unveils Plans For New Water Park, Arcade On Coney Island

August 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The New York City Economic Development Corporation and NYC Parks announced Thursday plans to construct a large-scale water park on Coney Island.

The city has picked Central Amusement International (CAI) to develop 150,000 square feet of city-owned land in the heart of Coney Island’s world-famous amusement district.

The plans call for a water park, a public plaza with open air food options and an arcade.

“Coney Island is both a cherished summertime destination and an important economic engine for South Brooklyn,” said James Patchett, President and CEO of New York City Economic Development Corporation. “With these exciting new attractions and our ongoing investments in housing and infrastructure, Coney Island’s future has never looked brighter.”

Edited by larrygator

My interpretation

It sounds like the flume will be entered from the beach and will stretch from the walkway alongside the B&B Carousel/stadium to the Thunderbolt, but I can't imagine it stretching more than 1/3 of the way to Surf.

I interpret it the same way. I'm curious to see what (if anything) fills in the rest of that area, especially because due to how narrow that street is and how close it is to the outfield wall whatever it is is going to get peppered with flying baseballs unless it's something indoors or they invest in a big ugly net. It's only 315 feet down the line which is... not much.