TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ totally kill two birds with one stone there. New name, new paint and a surprise third bird with new trains. I feel like that would be the best option for that ride with what people have been asking of it for the past at least 5 years

My only hope, and I think it will be inevitable now that DL is under Six Flags from a marketing standpoint, is that they don't start slapping superhero and villain names all over the park. Ride of Steel I can understand since it was once called Superman but for some reason I can see something like Mind Eraser getting new trains and new paint and become Riddler's Revenge like they did at New England, Motocoaster becoming Gotham City Pursuit or Grizzly Run becoming Penguin's Blizzard River.

My only hope, and I think it will be inevitable now that DL is under Six Flags from a marketing standpoint, is that they don't start slapping superhero and villain names all over the park. Ride of Steel I can understand since it was once called Superman but for some reason I can see something like Mind Eraser getting new trains and new paint and become Riddler's Revenge like they did at New England, Motocoaster becoming Gotham City Pursuit or Grizzly Run becoming Penguin's Blizzard River.

Im not too sure about that, they all had their current names last time SF owned it, except Motocoaster obviously. Only ROS and the kiddie area were themed.

As for Ride of Steel, I would not be surprised to see SF give this one a Bizarro makeover (or some other twist), rather than simply slapping 'Superman' on the building again. And hopefully this means a full makeover including restoration of a 2-train ops.

Making RoS Bizzaro is actually a great idea.

While I have my doubts SF will be 'flagging' Frontier City, they will most certainly be re-branding DL back to a Six Flags park.

Frontier City is my home park and already learned that it will not be Flagged a Six Flags Park. It will be labeled like the company did with The Great Escape and La Ronde under the park name Frontier City will have the line a "A Six Flags Themepark" The rest of the parks they acquired the water parks I'm curious if they will be re-branded with a new name. The Wet 'N' Wild title was from the new Premier Parks. So I wonder if those parks will become Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. White Water Bay will it be labeled Six Flags White Water Bay like the water park at Fiesta Texas?

Making RoS Bizzaro is actually a great idea.

I honestly don’t think it would be a good idea. First, look at Superman st SFNE. It was re-themed to Bizarro and only a few years later, it went back to Superman.

Second and most important: almost everybody at DL still calls RoS Superman. It has been known as Superman to people for almost 20 years now. People will probably still call it Superman if it gets the Bizarro treatment, just like how it was still known as Superman after being renamed to Ride of Steel.

^ That's my biggest pet peeve at Darien Lake, like I don't see any Superman logos so stop calling it that, AH!!

It doesn’t bother me, all my friends and family always call it Superman, so I’m just used to it.

I will now eternally refer to the ride as Superman.

Calling it Superman is better than what I heard a Canadian call it last year, Man of Steel.

Hearing “Superman” doesn’t bother me at all, but when I hear someone call it “Man of Steel”, that’s where I get annoyed.

I've heard a GP say RoS used to be American Eagle...

Speaking of GP, I heard one person claim RoS used to run with 4 trains. That was my nice laugh for the day.

I honestly don’t think it would be a good idea. First, look at Superman st SFNE. It was re-themed to Bizarro and only a few years later, it went back to Superman.

Second and most important: almost everybody at DL still calls RoS Superman. It has been known as Superman to people for almost 20 years now. People will probably still call it Superman if it gets the Bizarro treatment, just like how it was still known as Superman after being renamed to Ride of Steel.

Changing the name of SRoS at SFNE was a planned temporary name change as the story goes, Superman and Bizarro were dueling it out there as well as SFGadv where Medusa was themed as Bizarro; and signage in both parks referenced a storyline and both rides were mentioned. When SFNE changed theirs back to Superman, it was no longer 'Ride of Steel', but simply 'The Ride'. The floorless B&M at SFGadv remains 'Bizarro'.

Good idea or not, I can see a case for a re-theming of some sort to freshen up the ride and give it the attention it has been waiting for. Maybe 'Superman The Escape', or something to that effect would work too. Simply put, I seriously doubt SF will pass on an opportunity to give new life and attention to one of the park's signature coasters.

Changing the name of SRoS at SFNE was a planned temporary name change as the story goes, Superman and Bizarro were dueling it out there as well as SFGadv where Medusa was themed as Bizarro; and signage in both parks referenced a storyline and both rides were mentioned. When SFNE changed theirs back to Superman, it was no longer 'Ride of Steel', but simply 'The Ride'. The floorless B&M at SFGadv remains 'Bizarro'.

Good idea or not, I can see a case for a re-theming of some sort to freshen up the ride and give it the attention it has been waiting for. Maybe 'Superman The Escape', or something to that effect would work too. Simply put, I seriously doubt SF will pass on an opportunity to give new life and attention to one of the park's signature coasters.

Honestly, I am just hoping for it to be repainted to its original red and blue (instead of light blue and pink ), see Superman branding return to RoS, and see TWO TRAINS running (crazy idea right )

I was at the park Sunday - Thursday staying at the hotel on property. There's a ton of Six Flags signage, which I'm assuming is new.

Wanted to get a picture but never got around to it.

The signs are located next to the Admin Buildings when you are leaving the hotel. One of them says WELCOME SIX FLAGS PARK PRESIDENT and there are a handful more that you can't quite read from the stop sign at the exit.

Also - during the show with the magician, they are referring to it as Six Flags Darien Lake already. Could be slip up since he isn't a park employee, but also could be careless.

They hosted all of the SF park managers and CEO a month back. So I guess no excuses on if top eyes got to take a gander at the state of the park if you're expecting a big makeover.

Don't know why people continue to be mystified about 'is it Six Flags or not?' FWIW it presently seems to be billed as 'Darien Lake: A Six Flags Theme Park.' If they shuffle it around to Six Flags Darien Lake they might just be waiting until next season simply for the logistics of changing the logo/branding on the merchandise and promotional material. I did notice the staff are transitioning to explicitly Six Flags IDs. Also previously mentioned the electronic contacts switching to SFTP domains and some job postings are being hosted under Six Flags Great Escape.

I've heard a GP say RoS used to be American Eagle...

Arent we all GP?

Yeah, it’s a term that enthusiasts use to make themselves feel like they’re better than everyone else despite the fact that they say equally ridiculous things.