TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The only thing that keeps me from thinking that the park would build a hotel right at the park is that the road which leads to DreamMore is called Dollywood Resorts Blvd. So it seems like Dollywood's plans for building more hotels is in the area near DreamMore.

Doesn't mean they can build multiple resorts. I can see them building maybe a campground around dreammore at some point and a resort on property. I mean, I don't see 4 hotels being built! There are to many already in the area but I can see Dollywood putting their twist on a campground, and then maybe an on-site resort

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hey y'all a few quick questions please.

Planning on heading up on the weekend of August 24th -26th and head to the park on Sunday the 26th? How crowded do Sundays get and do you think I would need to purchase TimeSavers?

Here's one for the Atlanta crowd. I've been to the park several times before and while beautiful I always cringe about my brakes/tires/transmission on the pass from Cherokee to Gatlinburg. Looking on Goggle Maps it looks like I can route West and it only takes a few minutes longer. Has anyone taken the TN-68 route, is there a lot of twists, turns and hills? Looks tamer and more exciting scenery then the way west interstate route that adds 34 miles (but only 14 minutes to the trip).

Is it still free for someone to drop you off?

I renewed my season pass from 2017 and yet to go to 2018. Do I use the same pass or do I need to go get a 2018 pass?

Thank you!

Dollywood.thumb.png.574a0f2ee3302bbeea69ef3534ae1c50.png

I haven't been in several years. However, I was going year after year at one point and renewed my pass online and used that same pass over several years. Unless it has changed I think your pass should work.

Is it still free for someone to drop you off?

Pretty sure they still have a dropoff option.

I'd call to verify the details as I think they may have a dropoff point and tram instead of driving to entrance.

I wouldn't worry about TimeSaver and you could always get it in the park if you think it's needed.

Can't help with the routes there. I come through Chattanooga.

I'm still using a pass from 2015. It's even been changed to a gold pass in the system this year. Only an issue for shops that don't scan the pass.

a

Here's one for the Atlanta crowd. I've been to the park several times before and while beautiful I always cringe about my brakes/tires/transmission on the pass from Cherokee to Gatlinburg. Looking on Goggle Maps it looks like I can route West and it only takes a few minutes longer. Has anyone taken the TN-68 route, is there a lot of twists, turns and hills? Looks tamer and more exciting scenery then the way west interstate route that adds 34 miles (but only 14 minutes to the trip).

Thank you!

I assume you are showing your starting point? From that location, SR 68 will be fine. It isn't on the same planet as going through the national park. Your only risks are that it is two lanes and you are at the mercy of the vehicle in front of you. If a scenic drive is your thing, definitely recommend that route. If you are in a time crunch, use the interstate.

On a minor topic: I hope they change the park map design. I love looking up the park maps for my favorite parks and this year's Dollywood map has been my least favorite. I just think Dollywood is so beautiful that it needs to come across on the park map more. Dollywood Splash Country's and Holiday World / Splashin Safari's maps come across alot better to me. It may be that there is just so much to cram in a park map you just can't get super detailed. I know it has to be a challenge. This year's map is just a bit "plain" to me. Am I crazy?

I think park maps are being used less and less. They are going digital on apps so less waste, I'm sure less expensive, and I notice fewer and fewer folks using them. I personally doubt they will put much resources into future maps at any park. They do make great collectables though

It seems like more and more parks are simply using Google it Bing for their maps

Oh no I hope they still have them lol. I printed Dollywood and Splash Country's off on the color printer at work for this year. I was going to try to do that the years I can't go. Hopefully they will post them online so I can do that even if they aren't out for people to use at the park. It is so fun looking back at old ones like when Timber Tower was in operation etc...

I think park maps are being used less and less. They are going digital on apps so less waste, I'm sure less expensive, and I notice fewer and fewer folks using them. I personally doubt they will put much resources into future maps at any park. They do make great collectables though

It seems like more and more parks are simply using Google it Bing for their maps

I’ll still grab one just to have it, but when technological advancements have enabled you to offer the same thing in an app, complete with ride wait times and GPS that can give you the quickest route to whichever ride you want, it’s hard not to think that they’re obsolete.

I'll try to hush on the maps after this. It would be so cool for Dollywood to post all the prior year park map pdfs in a history section of their website or something. That would be such a cool resource to stroll down Dollywood Memory Lane! Heck that is how I would spend some of my slow time at work lol

Now that Google Maps has lines for park pathways, I don't take paper maps anymore.

I'll try to hush on the maps after this. It would be so cool for Dollywood to post all the prior year park map pdfs in a history section of their website or something. That would be such a cool resource to stroll down Dollywood Memory Lane! Heck that is how I would spend some of my slow time at work lol

I'd go for that for both SDC and Dollywood! Lots of history to comb thru! lol

Here's a pic of the 1981 SDC map in my guide with the beloved Log Flume, Flooded Mine, Inventor's Mansion, as well as archery, tomahawk throwing, and shooting muzzle loaders!

Notice the entrance was at the bridge leading into Craftsmen's Valley. This map even predates the Grist Mill (by one year)...and cinnamon bread!

IMG_4265.thumb.jpg.71915032e4ef408ebe2095832ae579aa.jpg

So cool thanks for posting! That is five years pre Dollywood! I'm so excited about Wildwood Grove I've signed up for the two park super gold pass. I may not even get to go until 2020 but hopefully I can go next year to check out luminights and the Christmas lights. Even if I don't make it I don't mind the expense as a thank you for all their hard work!

a

Thank you!

I assume you are showing your starting point? From that location, SR 68 will be fine. It isn't on the same planet as going through the national park. Your only risks are that it is two lanes and you are at the mercy of the vehicle in front of you. If a scenic drive is your thing, definitely recommend that route. If you are in a time crunch, use the interstate.

Thank you. Decided on 68 on the way up to test and will either do it or interstate on the way back.