TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

So since it seems all but official that the park will go back to being SFDL neat season, my guess is that they will get something good for the roll out. Here are my guesses.

1. Batman stunt show back in the old theater building behind viper.

2. S&S 4D free spin themed to Batman either behind the current go kart track or remove the go karts and place there.

3. Re-name of Twister to Harley Quinn Spinsanity

4. Some type of theme to the antique cars like Penguin's getaway cars or something.

5. I'm not sure if they could somehow include the bumper cars or Pirate in this, but if they could, that would be cool too.

This will create a true Gotham City section of the park and still create a space that just about every SF park has, and theming that just about every SF park has as well.

Do any other Six Flags parks still do the Batman Stunt Show? I'd like to see that back. Better yet bring back the ride rotation program so we can get Nightmare at Phantom Cave again. I'm sure the facade is still behind the current backdrop, lol. Crazier things have happened...

Also lmao at antique cars being getaway cars.

Honestly I could see a freespin in our future and I think it would be an awesome addition.

Edited by anonymouscactus

If they were to do an all Batman/Gotham City area, then let's hope for a new area and not make it look cheesy with bumper cars and go-karts. How about a new "Batman" coaster with a few Batman/Joker/Riddler flats. with a Gotham city-themed restaurant.

Not that it will probably happen, at least no time soon, they should expand out near RoS and rename it Superman of course. They also should make that a DC comics section with a new ride or two or just move a current ride to make it a "themed" section. I don't see them ever bringing back the stunt show since no six flags has one anymore. They honestly should remove that building to expand over that way unless they need it for storage I guess.

2. S&S 4D free spin themed to Batman either behind the current go kart track or remove the go karts and place there.

There's room behind the black gates next to RoS, they could retheme RoS, and put a free spin over there, that could be a possible Gotham City area too.

I'd say those are pretty pie-in-the-sky, but ride install announcements for Six Flags parks should be around end of the month.

Extra laughs at Nightmare coming back. That name was by all accounts duly earned. As is the theater building is getting partially emptied (a lot of mothballed coaster parts were being shuffled out from Viper's viewpoint) presumably for Fright Fest usage again.

Do any other Six Flags parks still do the Batman Stunt Show? I'd like to see that back. Better yet bring back the ride rotation program so we can get Nightmare at Phantom Cave again. I'm sure the facade is still behind the current backdrop, lol. Crazier things have happened...

Also lmao at antique cars being getaway cars.

Honestly I could see a freespin in our future and I think it would be an awesome addition.

If you’re referring to the backdrop on the front of the building, that was removed several years ago when they repainted the front of the building for the Nik Wallenda show. Now it sits all black, with zero theming and probably zero intention for future year round use

I'd say those are pretty pie-in-the-sky, but ride install announcements for Six Flags parks should be around end of the month.

Extra laughs at Nightmare coming back. That name was by all accounts duly earned. As is the theater building is getting partially emptied (a lot of mothballed coaster parts were being shuffled out from Viper's viewpoint) presumably for Fright Fest usage again.

Does anyone think SF will include the new acquired parks in their announcement video?

Darien Lake Theme Park Resort is holding open interviews in hopes of filling 1,000 seasonal positions as students head back to school and the park heads into its extended season.

A variety of positions are available, including ride operators as well as actors and other positions for Fright Fest, the park's Halloween event.

Fright Fest runs through Oct. 28 and extends Darien Lake's season, keeping the park open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Positions are open for makeup artists, wardrobe assistants, technicians, ushers and "scare-actors."

Employees receive unlimited free park admission, and free park tickets for friends and family.

The interviews and auditions will be held from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturdays from Aug. 11 through Oct. 6. To apply, visit DarienLake.com/jobs or call 1-585-599-5108.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/08/darien-hiring-1000-people-for-the-season/

I’ve been digging around and I live near one of the parks that was recently acquired in the May 23rd transaction. from what I learned that the new Parks will have much needed park improvements Throughout the park and smaller type of attractions most likely be added for the 2019 season. I have good resources and from what I learned not too expect anything major but do expect something next season just like what Six Flags stated at the end of their press release from last season that they plan to add new “Attracrions” to all their parks each and every year. I’m OK with park upgrades and refreshes as long as something bigger is added in 2020.

Higher prices at Fantasy Island? After taxes and fees for a single season pass it was **$40.82** and that includes parking, friend passes, etc. I think last season is was ~$34. I don't know how they stay in business with such cheap passes. They used to charge a WHOLE lot more before Apex came in (even more than Darien Lake's season pass!)

I agree that the one day full price ticket isn't worth it, but even if you buy *one* pass for $40 and use the bring a friend anytime ticket you are paying less than $20 for a single day ticket if you go with someone. If you only go ONCE it's still cheaper to buy a pass and use the unrestricted friend ticket. lol.

I have no clue how they are surviving to be honest.

I just bought a 2019 pass today as it's good for this year as well as next and all the benefits for this year and next year. And I'm really just curious just how bad the Halloween event is. You get a free ticket for Friday nights Halloween event in addition to the unrestricted ticket.

If your post is any indication of crowds I will pick a day to marathon Silver Comet. See if I can beat my previous record of 119 rides in a single day lol. I haven't been to the park since working there back in... 2006? Damn I'm old.

I'm curious how much the Six Flags Darien Lake pass will go for in September. I'm guessing $55 + taxes and fees. Excited for that, too. Unless they only go the discounted membership route this year. I guess we'll see.

EDIT: found an official source. A 2016 pass to Martin's Fantasy Island was $69.99 plus tax/fees for a single person. I don't know how anyone can complain about their prices when they went to an all time low with Apex. Decreased *perceived* value due to the parking charge, maybe, but in actuality it's a hell of a deal and is way less to go than the Martin's day. Hell, looking at their discounts page it seems to me they aren't even charging absorbent $$$ for food and drink.

Its Erie County Fair season so everyone is there. Not surprising, but theme parks in WNY are clearly a way better value than the fair.

Fantasy island doesn't allow food or drink into the park, which I honestly think is a major reason why people are turning back. They are very strict on this and confiscate food and drink at the front gate, at least they did last year. Between this and the parking charges I think people are avoiding it. All of the little extras add up fast when you take a family, families are heavily considering this and parking charges when choosing where to go. I do think they have a family meal deal that isn't very expensive (I think they had some kind of pizza meal deal for $24.99 last year,), and there are a couple restaurants within walking distance, plus there is still the option of eating in your car and bringing a cooler. $24.99 is the cost of a small meal for one person at DL. But the big thing at FI was bringing your own food and holding a picnic in the picnic shelters, removing the possibility of this happening again also removed a lot of attendance. It really is a nice little park with a decent selection of rides and is a much better value than any other ride event in WNY.

Last year a pass was $34.99 and included the Halloween event, plus included all of 2018, plus parking.. really cheap. Literally less than a one day rides pass to the ECF, which is $40 on the weekend and you are talking $55 with $10 admission and $5 parking.

Though when I see all the completely overpriced local festivals that cost way more than FI does in all aspects including rides, food and parking(and most of these festivals charge for parking too because charity groups take over any lot nearby the festival and charge $5-10 for parking) I wonder how these festivals get so much attendance and clearly something that is a better value doesn't get the attendance? You are going to spend way less at FI for everything than you will at the Erie county fair, canal fest or eden corn fest, and especially the peach fest for everything plus you get a whole park with 2 coasters and a water park.. if you are watching your money. Are people afraid of this park or something.... I don't know. Seems like a no brainer to get a season's pass to FI if you are looking for value.

DL also has a coupon from Wendy's for $74.99 for 2 admissions plus free parking.. not half bad.

The Fair, Corn Fest and other festivals are more than just rides. I would say a majority of people that attend the fair dont even ride the rides. I know that if I didnt have kids I wouldnt. So you cant really compare the two. That said, I got my kids weekday pay one prices rides for $25 each. Admission will only be $5 they day im going too.

On Screamscape, it shows that Six Flags has a test website that is Darien Lake's, even though it does has bugs (ex : it shows Great Escape's logo), I think we can guess that it'll be flagged next year, as various times around the website they'll refer to the park as "Six Flags Darien Lake," and it looks like they're cracking down on getting this website up and running, as all of the rides have their corresponding photos and descriptions, the park map is up, etc, though sometimes it'll show you stuff like St. Louis' operating calendar.

https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake/attractions/ride-height-restrictions

The Fair, Corn Fest and other festivals are more than just rides. I would say a majority of people that attend the fair dont even ride the rides. I know that if I didnt have kids I wouldnt. So you cant really compare the two. That said, I got my kids weekday pay one prices rides for $25 each. Admission will only be $5 they day im going too.

The ride gross seems to go up every year at the ECF so they are obviously making money on it, however I noticed that there is basically no one on the rides during the weekdays, I go on the weekdays and usually leave before dark but a few years ago there would be lines and lineups to get the wristbands and now there are no lines and barely a lineup for wristbands. Some rides turn during weekday afternoons with 1-2 riders per cycle. They must make all their money on the weekend or weeknights on rides, because during the week there is no one. So if you go during the weekday afternoon you will get a lot of rides for your money.

If you are going for rides at the fair I think you really need 2 days to do the ECF, one for the rides, and one for the other stuff, if you just skip the rides you can do it in one day, but you won't be able to do it all in one day if you want to stay on the rides for a long time.

I’ve been digging around and I live near one of the parks that was recently acquired in the May 23rd transaction. from what I learned that the new Parks will have much needed park improvements Throughout the park and smaller type of attractions most likely be added for the 2019 season. I have good resources and from what I learned not too expect anything major but do expect something next season just like what Six Flags stated at the end of their press release from last season that they plan to add new “Attracrions” to all their parks each and every year. I’m OK with park upgrades and refreshes as long as something bigger is added in 2020.

I hope these "improvements" include two trains on every coaster that can operate two

On Screamscape, it shows that Six Flags has a test website that is Darien Lake's, even though it does has bugs (ex : it shows Great Escape's logo), I think we can guess that it'll be flagged next year, as various times around the website they'll refer to the park as "Six Flags Darien Lake," and it looks like they're cracking down on getting this website up and running, as all of the rides have their corresponding photos and descriptions, the park map is up, etc, though sometimes it'll show you stuff like St. Louis' operating calendar.

Since SF is only operating the park and doesn't fully own it, I'm wondering if they will do what they used to do with SFDK before they purchased it (Marine World, A Six Flags Theme Park)? IMO it doesn't make sense to fully brand DL if they don't own it.

Since SF is only operating the park and doesn't fully own it, I'm wondering if they will do what they used to do with SFDK before they purchased it (Marine World, A Six Flags Theme Park)? IMO it doesn't make sense to fully brand DL if they don't own it.

Whether it makes sense or not, its happening.

Whether it makes sense or not, its happening.

Oooohhh Ride of Steel is still Ride of Steel. Maybe they don't think it's so Super anymore that happens with 2 trains not 1

It's what they did with Waterworld Concord, it turned into Hurricane Harbor.

I was at the park Sunday - Thursday staying at the hotel on property. There's a ton of Six Flags signage, which I'm assuming is new.

Wanted to get a picture but never got around to it.

The signs are located next to the Admin Buildings when you are leaving the hotel. One of them says WELCOME SIX FLAGS PARK PRESIDENT and there are a handful more that you can't quite read from the stop sign at the exit.

Also - during the show with the magician, they are referring to it as Six Flags Darien Lake already. Could be slip up since he isn't a park employee, but also could be careless.

I don't think if they own the park or not will stop SF from branding DL next year. I am pretty sure SF technically does not own SFoG but only manages it and as part of their management contract they have to invest so much into the park every xx numbers of years. I could easily see something like that at DL in the contract

I don't think if they own the park or not will stop SF from branding DL next year. I am pretty sure SF technically does not own SFoG but only manages it and as part of their management contract they have to invest so much into the park every xx numbers of years. I could easily see something like that at DL in the contract

Six Flags Corporation fully 'owns' only one park in the chain - St Louis. Every other park is owned by partnerships, LLC's, investors, and other companies. SF purchased the lease of DL as well as the naming rights, giving SF the ability to modify and market all properties under their control as the deem fit.

While I have my doubts SF will be 'flagging' Frontier City, they will most certainly be re-branding DL back to a Six Flags park.

As for Ride of Steel, I would not be surprised to see SF give this one a Bizarro makeover (or some other twist), rather than simply slapping 'Superman' on the building again. And hopefully this means a full makeover including restoration of a 2-train ops.