TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip Report: Dixie Landin' & Blue Bayou (1-Aug-18)

This is Ty, aka Tapper/Galaxian with this trip report to Dixie Landin' and Blue Bayou in Baton Rouge, Louisiana which is my current home park as I live about 2 hours away and I'm preparing to depart to north Louisiana for college. I intentionally took around 70 photos but went through them to cut it down heavily. This was actually 1st of August, 2018 (yesterday) I went so here it is: I also want to do a special shoutout to Nicholas B. who was our conductor for the train for his awesomeness, if you're reading this Nicholas thank you!

PS. I apologize for the quality of the photos this was done on my phone. Their a lot worse then I intentionally thought it was going to be. Didn't think about even bringing a nicer camera till I was at the park.

This trip started at waking up at 5 AM, and it was arranged with going with my church group. With a few of us from my Methodist church going with only 15% chance of it going to rain. (It ended up starting to rain around 5:30). There was a lot I wanted to take photos to but didn't due to my own camera, the rain, or simply having to much fun at this small local park.

1.thumb.jpg.fa843a86d3975921409b99ba6faef721.jpgWe begin entering the park and infront of the lockers is the Voodoo and these racing slides (I can't quite remember their names) but the Voodoo was exciting, the drop was much more apparent when we had two people instead of four in our raft. With the only two of us our raft zoomed through the bowl a lot faster then the last time we came a few weeks back.

8Z6wcoE.jpg

I know most of us want to see the dry side of the park- Dixie Landin'. The dry side opened about 1 PM, there are simple rides like this spider and all, I didn't take pictures of every ride sadly but this is what I can provide.

2.thumb.jpg.735f773956dbf1a9099439d215d861b0.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.f74dfb624fd2922c0c25a281f4626616.jpgThis is where they originally kept the park's live chimpanzee Candy till she passed away. It was major controversy due to her poor living conditions such as concrete housing, and animal doctors claimed she suffered of depression that the park previously denied.

4.thumb.jpg.d9be452bf0ca2401214f0bcdf945e22c.jpgOn the otherside of this park is the 'Fun Fair' with antique cars, rides under this large structure and some little train called Old 99 Train.

OUVjhJL.jpg

Though it looks like the Old 99 won't be running today..

5.thumb.jpg.7f907780e7a176e05b662be100f57f15.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.4cfe8c13c51b50041da545aae1170ed5.jpgSmall attempt at themeing at the park.

7.thumb.jpg.4aae5cebd37a1d86b8e33fca1030eeda.jpgNow why did I take a picture of this? Well this year they removed the ferris wheel and the X-Treme. When I asked Nicholas he didn't even realize there was a ferris wheel right here until on the train ride the recorded tour guide talked about a ferris wheel- that was no longer there.

8.thumb.jpg.7b417fb6426000af2b0d87db398a2734.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.1e5ab87f0c0b048b255c8df488821e8a.jpgThe HUSS Rainbow from the park came from the 1983 New Orleans' world's fair. It shows it the ride frankly was a bit questionable to me. With the ride's platform tilting slightly and the visible damage on the ride.

Now some photos of the Rajun Cajun, the park's boomerang coaster. That wasn't running till about 3 PM as it was getting heavily cloudy.

VPg33hL.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.2af4bd77de16b89d57fef3320e69a53a.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.48b261ae2c4d37a7ca248de7ab304c7a.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.f2562b4fd9be3e79c079ae8b0bf5f68c.jpgI want to again thank Nicholas for his awesomeness during this trip to Dixie Landin', very funny person! Now I did notice though the park did toot about this being one of the two Iron House Hershel trains left, the tender (where the driver sits) had visible repairs needed with the wood top coming off exposing the insides.

13.thumb.jpg.876a6fc5af5a1e07c8a0ce8f6bb52fe6.jpgThe Galaxi was pretty sketchy with visible rust, most of us with the group commented that it looked like it was going to fall apart with lack of maintenance. A few of us rode it and it is a bit agreeable with that.

14.thumb.jpg.79bd7fac9a21e1e592cb2621796b438a.jpgI tried getting images of the Hot Shot running but it had a lot of mechanical issues that people kept complaining about while I was there, I saw it running for about 20-30 minutes before breaking down again.

eXeoRpm.jpg

I should of taken a picture, but I ate at the small restaurant in the water park with some decent prices (ok well 2 dollars for a drink) the food was pretty good, did find the fries a bit to crispy for my taste though. We did also have the Sweet Magnolia with some gosh darn good ice cream (I recommend Vanilla).

rkP531F.jpg

I didn't ride it but from what my close friend had told me, it was extremely rough. I was watching it, and the ride op pulled the breaks suddenly, giving it a certain jerk when stopping it, watching her also one time she pulled the breaks to late and the train was partially up the lift hill.

15.thumb.jpg.85dc1f54229308e50067648c7d0d9867.jpgI'll be back Dixie Landin'....

My final thoughts: Well I did enjoy the park, I felt though there wasn't enough in the water park. I personally feel like the park has more on the water park then the amusement park side. With the amusement park's rides needing some sort of maintenance. Or rides just disappearing at random. Once you ride everything it really is no reason to come back but the water park on a very hot day to cool off. Though as Louisiana's only park (other then City Park in New Orleans' small amusement park) that is open, I thought it was acceptable enough for Louisiana.

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DBru, I know it was a odd choice but there was a few signs around the ferris wheel and I think near the old X-Treme (I am GUESSING, it might of been removed due to an accident a few years ago that involved a woman's death) that said something about 2019, possibly means they are getting replacements for the rides? Tbh the park does have this low quality feel, I know it's family owned by they have that new aqua-loops, so it's obvious the park owner, Samuel Haynes Jr, has some money considering the park had a live chimp at one time as well, it feels like he focuses more on the water park then Dixie Landin' itself.

This use to be my home park before I moved, and I for once am glad they finally removed Xtreme. It was a very rough experience. Although Ragin Cajun takes years to get up on the back spike its very smooth for a boomerang. It wouldn't surprise me if they slowly take out more of the dry side and add on to the waterpark as Louisiana summers can get very hot! I'm glad to see that the Rainbow is still operating even though it's in very rough condition. I'm interested to see what direction the park heads to next! The aqua loop was quite an addition!

PS. I apologize for the quality of the photos this was done on my phone.

I did the best I could with cleaning up some of your larger sized photos, but man, what kind of phone do you have? Even my current phone is 3 years old and it takes fantastic pictures! Were these from like a flip phone cira 2007???

I did the best I could with cleaning up some of your larger sized photos, but man, what kind of phone do you have? Even my current phone is 3 years old and it takes fantastic pictures! Were these from like a flip phone cira 2007???

This is a ZTE Smartphone- Capable of running Instagram, and all the stuff the new phones can (Considering its maybe about 2 years old?), but the camera I don't think was the major focus on this phone. I was shocked of the quality of the camera, really disappointing but if it ain't broke, don't fix it considering the screen is extremely cracked- it still works somehow, a bit slow but I can't complain.

This is a ZTE Smartphone- Capable of running Instagram, and all the stuff the new phones can (Considering its maybe about 2 years old?), but the camera I don't think was the major focus on this phone. I was shocked of the quality of the camera, really disappointing but if it ain't broke, don't fix it considering the screen is extremely cracked- it still works somehow, a bit slow but I can't complain.

That should take better photos. You might actually want to try wiping off the lens every once in a while. It looks like you may have a smudge or two which is causing your pictures to be horribly filtered.

Funny thing is, I have them normally wiped down before I take photos, its a very bad camera- like when I went to tour the French Quarter I had to keep cleaning the camera lens cause I thought they kept getting smudges but it didn't improve the quality at all. In a few photos it probably does have smudges here and there, but it's all in all a bad phone- the front camera is even worse- its very hard for both the front and back cameras to get any sort of quality photo that is clear. The Front as said is the worse of the two though.