TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

That's unfortunate to hear even if it was just a small roof fire. Hopefully they can make whatever repairs necessary to get the ride back open (and hopefully touch up a few areas while they're at it). Just glad to hear it wasn't a total loss as it was one of my favorite dark ride style attractions anywhere.

Just rode Mach Tower to get a look at Pompeii’s roof. I couldn’t see any damage, but the ride is closed today (no shock there).

Thanks for the update Chuck! Hopefully damage isn't too bad and one of the Virginia Volcano themed rides can get open again!

Just rode Mach Tower to get a look at Pompeii’s roof. I couldn’t see any damage, but the ride is closed today (no shock there).

I just once again want to point out HOW IMPORTANT it is to make sure a story is legit before posting it anywhere. I saw several reports last night quoting "Reddit" and "ParkFans" saying that the ride was on fire and it was destroyed. This is just like that time I was at Magic Kingdom where there was a small fire on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Twitter lit up with stories how the ride had "Burned to the ground" and I'm standing right in front of the ride tweeting photos "Guys, I'm standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE RIDE.... it's FINE!" but no one would believe me because they would rather be hung up in all the drama.

And look, I get it, it's way more exciting of a story to have the ride burned to the ground, but there is just NO EXCUSE for reporting or spreading "fake news" like this. It's another reason why I personally feel Reddit is a cesspool of the worst in humanity and why when there is a story, I ask questions or fact check before I go reporting anything as concrete.

If it doesn't come from a legit real source, which Reddit is NOT under any circumstance, don't report it unless you know for sure!

Thank you for your understanding.

Confirmed by park spokesman, Ron Vample.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/busch-gardens-ride-closed-indefinitely-following-fire/1315687913

Busch Gardens ride closed indefinitely following fire

Taylor O'Bier

July 22, 2018 07:01

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) - Busch Gardens Williamsburg's "Escape From Pompeii" water ride will be closed indefinitely after a fire on the ride's roof Saturday night.

Ron Vample, a spokesperson of the amusement park, says the ride was not operating at the time of the fire and there were no park guests in the area at the time.

James City County firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, said Vample.

The ride will be closed Sunday, July 22 and there is currently no estimated time for it to reopen.

For further updates go to to WAVY.com

but no one would believe me because they would rather be hung up in all the drama.

Aside from any parks official social media page, I would believe you before anything else.

^ I'm assuming it's money in the budget for this year they don't have in order to get it back open. That would be my guess.

Could be. All they had was a sign at the entrance saying that the ride was closed "for the day" and apologizing for the inconvenience.

Had to be my f*cking luck that I went the day after Pompeii set itself on fire. Really a bummer as it's not a kind of ride you see outside of Universal or Disney (on the Western Hemisphere at least). Hopefully they don't turn down the pyrotechnics because of this (I first rode it in 2006 with the fire turned off and it felt incomplete compered to when I went in 2013 when the fire and effects were on).

Avoided the rain at least for the most part (ducked for cover in San Marco for about an hour, but nothing more than that). Still pissed that DarKastle's facade was kinda just lying there, and Alpengeist being closed for the day was meh. The good news at least was that Nessie's got some strobe and sound effects in the tunnel, and it took me by surprise that something as small as Invadr could pack as much of a punch as it does. This and Verbolten are probably my current favorites (the two most unsuspecting ones).

Just a quick "unoffical" update on Pompeii from a friend who works in the park now that the dust has settled so to speak. It sounds like as of now the word is that the special effects system had nothing to do with the fire. Apparently JCC fire was able to get six trucks in very quickly and, as others have already pointed out, it was extinguished quickly and minor damage was the whole result. It's very likely the ride will reopen this season, but it's going to be slow going because they will need JCC to inspect both the building and the ride, before and after repairs are done. For this reason a time estimate is not being given. You can't miss a deadline you don't set! The ride will likely need to be re-certified after all is said and done, although it doesn't sound like the ride itself was affected at all.

As an aside from when I used to work there way back when, the paths are wide enough for firetrucks as a rule, and all the bridges in the park are designed to support one. I saw them training in the park during the off season twice, and every ride/building in the park has it's own street address just like anywhere else. The response time, therefor, was very fast for a fire that was very small. Still scary, and still a fire, but I would be shocked not to see the ride re-open this season. If nothing else, I'd be shocked if they don't use it for hallow-scream and Christmas town even if they are delayed getting the ride re-certified.

It's very likely the ride will reopen this season, but it's going to be slow going because they will need JCC to inspect both the building and the ride, before and after repairs are done. For this reason a time estimate is not being given. You can't miss a deadline you don't set! The ride will likely need to be re-certified after all is said and done, although it doesn't sound like the ride itself was affected at all.

psssssssssst: It reopened the day before you posted this.

2091911165_BGWBierFestLogo.jpg.3f3d4b9fa3455b4e120a34d68a8f4009.jpg

BIER FEST AT BUSCH GARDENS® WILLIAMSBURG

TAPS MORE THAN 100 BEERS

One of Virginia’s Best Beer Festivals is Back and Bigger Than Ever

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (July 31, 2018) – Summer may be coming to a close, but Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s Bier Fest is ready to showcase some of the country’s best beers to enthusiasts.

Park guests can toast the final few weekends of summer with some refreshing frosty beverages. This festival spans three weekends and features more than 100 beers tapped throughout the event, brewery talks from popular craft breweries, live local bands, and traditional German food. Bier Fest takes place every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from Aug. 17 – Sept. 3. Beer bars throughout the park will offer guests unique draft and bottled beers from around the world, almost half of which come from breweries in Virginia.

And what’s Bier Fest without authentic German food? This year’s menu features an array of mouth-watering items, including roasted turkey legs, beer-battered bratwurst, and a giant pretzel with bacon salt known as a Riesenbrezel.

Busch Gardens’ Burgermeister will host a firkin keg tapping ceremony on Fridays during the event.

Not only will the beer be cold, but park guests can enjoy sounds from top local bands:

Daily performances; fan favorite THE HAPPY DUTCHMEN will perform each day during Bier Fest.

Aug. 18; Jesse Chong brings his reggae infused jam-rock to the event.

Aug. 25; acoustic guitarist Lewis McGehee performs.

Aug. 31 and Sept. 1; The Deloreans will take guests back to the sounds of the ‘80s

Sept. 1; Buck Shot Band, a modern country group, takes the stage.

Sept. 2; the rock-n-roll band Super Doppler performs.

Sept. 2 - 3; Kevin MaC brings his “Southern Swag” music to the stage.

For more information, including operating times, please visit buschgardens.com/williamsburg/events/beer-festival/.

001.thumb.jpg.75372a7599bff1246dcb2ff81f151d84.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.8852ebe5920aceb3fd420b11be6b6192.jpg

003.thumb.jpg.65f6585b61c2a6633d3ffb18a7fcc949.jpg

Is it possible to walk to Busch Gardens? I'm staying at the Double Tree which is just 1 mile away. If it's possible to just walk over, I'd much rather not pay for an uber or $18 parking fee!

Also, are we allowed to bring bags onto rides? Or do they force you to pay for a locker?

Thank you!!!

There aren't any sidewalks, and I doubt the park would appreciate you crossing their access roads. I'd just figure out whether Uber or the parking is cheaper and go with that.

BGW does prefer that you not bring your bags into a coaster station, but you can usually keep your phone in a secured pocket (except on Tempesto, where they do supply temporary fanny packs for small items).

Is it possible to walk to Busch Gardens? I'm staying at the Double Tree which is just 1 mile away. If it's possible to just walk over, I'd much rather not pay for an uber or $18 parking fee!

Also, are we allowed to bring bags onto rides? Or do they force you to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

Thank you!!!

Looking at satellite view on google, its all highway with no sidewalks. I'm sure its doable, but you're willing to walk a possibly unsafe mile to save $7 when you're going to an expensive theme park? Seems silly.

Speaking of Uber, here is a fare estimate for right now. $7. And would take a third of the time walking would.

Screenshot_20180807-120723.thumb.png.f7a476a6cf2f9cd4dd511ad528c8c717.png