TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I can already tell, this ride is going to be a maintenance nightmare! It broke down the day I rode it. Fortunately, I was able to ride before it went down for the rest of the day. The thing is VERY complicated with a lot of different motors and gears that all have to work together for the ride to operate.

I was at SFGadv last week and saw the Cyborg Cyber Spin (the other copy of this ride) and it was suffering downtime as well.

I was tagged in a post on FB. Joker was stuck with riders on the lift Monday. It was only a 30 sec video so not sure how long they were up there. I copied the link, let's see if I can do this right.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=196931157647341&id=166008727406251

I would HATE to be stuck in those heavy restraints, in this 100+ heat we've been having for even a few minutes.

ok then. . we've booked hotel, so will be there Sun/Monday 8/5-8/6.

pretty much ALL of Gotham (including Mr. Freeze, which I've never been on since always closed on our visits), Skyscreamer, and New Texas Giant are all new to me.

gonna be hot and icky, but hoping since our arrival is Sunday afternoon, that the crowds will thin out as the day progresses. and the park is open until 10pm that night.

It's been clearing out around 6pm on these hot days. Which doesn't make sense to me. Semi heavy crowds during the heat of the day, then everyone leaves when it starts to get tolerable. It'll be walk on most rides. I may be out there the 6th later in the day if ya want to meet up. Its the first day of bring a friend free so was gonna take someone. Those days are usually nightmares but it's going 6th-10th and I'm hoping that first day won't be as bad.

It's been clearing out around 6pm on these hot days. Which doesn't make sense to me. Semi heavy crowds during the heat of the day, then everyone leaves when it starts to get tolerable. It'll be walk on most rides. I may be out there the 6th later in the day if ya want to meet up. Its the first day of bring a friend free so was gonna take someone. Those days are usually nightmares but it's going 6th-10th and I'm hoping that first day won't be as bad.

would love to, but if you're not coming out until later in the day, we're gonna miss each other, as we're targeting heading back to Austin no later than 3:30.

(figure 6 hours in park Sunday night, then 5 hours Monday morning, will be enough for us)

You will have plenty of time to ride everything multiple times in those days I'm sure.

I may not even go at all if we keep getting 105-110° heat. Even at 9pm it's still been in the hundreds. Good lawd!

yeah, luckily we're both from Texas. . so we're KIND OF used to it?

LOL

I like SFOT because even when it's 100+ there's plenty of shaded areas and trees over by Titan/NTaG, Runaway Mountain, and of course Justice League and Mr. Freeze have the indoor queue. The mist fans around the park are great when they're on. Plus they have a rapids ride with actual atmosphere/theming which is awesome! It's not too hard to stay cool at SFOT.

I like SFOT because even when it's 100+ there's plenty of shaded areas and trees over by Titan/NTaG, Runaway Mountain, and of course Justice League and Mr. Freeze have the indoor queue. The mist fans around the park are great when they're on. Plus they have a rapids ride with actual atmosphere/theming which is awesome! It's not too hard to stay cool at SFOT.

The few times I've been during this summer heat it was still brutal to me. I went on the 11th to ride the new HQ and the heat mixed with spinning made me a little woozy. I greyed out a bit on Titan and that rarely happens. Mr Freeze has THE BEST AC in the park tho, you're right about that.

I was born here but this summer has kicked my butt so far, and we're not even to August.

SFFT has trained me well for heat - unlike SFOT, the heat precautions are a little lacking there so a souvenir cup, free ice water cups, and staying in the shade are all nice.

I can only believe that the Mr. Freeze queue being so amazing is considered theming, and Titan when it's 95+ is probably one of the worst coaster experiences of all time.

I'm in the early stages of looking at potential trips next year and at the moment, this is the park I'm looking at. I'd fly into DFW, transit to the hotel, drop bags off, head into Six Flags or a baseball game--cause if it's that close... Spend a couple days at Six Flags, fly home.

Since I get some good deals with Choice, how's the Sleep Inn across from Judge Roy Scream? Also, the Choice webpage for the hotel mentions an Arlington trolley service? Can anyone recommend that? I also see a Bowling museum nearby. Anyone been to that?

We stayed at that Sleep Inn in 2016 and had no issues with it. The location was quite convenient.

I don't have experience with the trolley system or bowling museum, but I did enjoy the Dr. Pepper museum in 2015.

Just got done being stuck at the top of a coaster for the first time. Good old Judge Roy Scream stopped just short of the top. We were 2nd to the first seats. After about 30 min we got to walk down. They had us write our names and phone numbers on a sheet. Anyone know if they do something for people that get stuck? I siggested lifetime flash pass, but they laughed at me

Does anybody know the reason why the park doesn't allow a single rider by themselves in the back car of any of the major roller coaster? I recently moved to this area and bought season passes so I usually go to the park by myself in my spare time. The park was dead today so a lot of the trains were empty but none of the ride ops would let me sit in the back car. I've been to several other parks and have never been told this. Is it a Six Flags thing or is it a specific thing to this park?

I didn't ask any of the ride ops because I didn't want to slow down dispatches and it is not the big of a deal to me. I'm just genuinely curios as to why they would have this policy.

Found this from an older post in this thread:

It's "no single riders in the last loaded row". They had the policy the entire time I worked at the park in the mid-90s and they also didn't allow single riders on any flat ride (the entire ride, not a particular seat or row). It went away sometime in the early-2000s and came back shortly after the accident on NTAG. It was explained to us when I worked at the park as an insurance requirement that allowed for at least 2 people to have a chance to see every rider on a train in the event that something went wrong.

I've never been to SFOT myself but this is the only park I've heard of that has this policy. Could be wrong though

Does anybody know the reason why the park doesn't allow a single rider by themselves in the back car of any of the major roller coaster?

That's odd! I visited a couple of years ago solo and I swear I must have ridden several of the rides in the back by myself. The only denial I recall from the park was not being able to ride solo on the log ride.