Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Energylandia (Hyperion) - August 2018
Users viewing this topic: DBru and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Postby JordyC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 am

^Thanks!

I was expecting Wicker Man to be a fun ride, like all the GCI'S. But it was way better than I expected. It truely is one of the best experiences in Europe!

I agree thet a longer layout would have made Nemesis even better, but I thought it still had a pretty decent length. As for the intensity, Nemesis is clearly a very intense ride. But when I rode Batman earlier this year, that ride tried to rip my face off! Maybe it is just me, but I just didn't quite get that sensation on Nemesis.. It still is one of the most intense coasters I have done, though.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Shambhala - PortAventura 3. Taron - Phantasialand 4. Helix - Liseberg 5. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Silver Star - Europa-Park 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Goliath - Walibi Holland

Coasters: 219 || Parks: 40

Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park || Wildlands || Walibi Belgium || Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Phantasialand

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 am

Loved your Alton Towers update! We'll be there in a few weeks so it served as a nice preview and was very helpful to me! Glad you had a great time!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby JordyC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 am

^Thank you so much!

I am happy my report was helpful for you. I hope you will have a fantastic time at Alton Towers.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Shambhala - PortAventura 3. Taron - Phantasialand 4. Helix - Liseberg 5. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Silver Star - Europa-Park 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Goliath - Walibi Holland

Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park || Wildlands || Walibi Belgium || Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Phantasialand

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am

I did this exact trip late last summer and let me say it was wonderful to revisit in this form! I'm glad you got such great weather overall and low crowds at Blackpool.

I echo your sentiments exactly on Smiler and Nemesis, Smiler is totally the better coaster, Nemesis is super-short AND less intense than Batman the Ride. Also it's crazy that they are doing 4PM closes. There can't be another park in the world that is doing a 4PM close in late June...cost-cutting gone mad! Between the huge layout of the park and the queue times Fast Track is a necessity on literally any day.

Valhalla is the star of Blackpool. I have a soft spot for Boat rides, and my favorite two Disney attractions are Splash Mountain at WDW and Pirates at DLP. I would ride Valhalla over BOTH of those. If Maelstrom at Norway had been that good then it would have been worth saving!
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 am

That 4 pm closing time is nuts. I went on a day where everything was a walk-on and I barely got on everything because of how long it took to get between each attraction. I really wonder how late they stayed open prior to the Smiler incident.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

Postby JordyC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am

BlahBlahson wrote:I did this exact trip late last summer and let me say it was wonderful to revisit in this form! I'm glad you got such great weather overall and low crowds at Blackpool.

Thanks! The weather was indeed outstanding, much better than I anticipated.

I was planning to buy Fast Track at Blackpool, but I started my day with 4 rides on Icon in less then 30 minutes. So I thought maybe Fast Track isn't really necessary. luckily I hadn't bought it yet!

BlahBlahson wrote:Also it's crazy that they are doing 4PM closes. There can't be another park in the world that is doing a 4PM close in late June...cost-cutting gone mad! Between the huge layout of the park and the queue times Fast Track is a necessity on literally any day.

It really is a shame the park closes this early. There were huge crowds, so they easily could have stayed open for a few more hours. Really, if I wouldn't have bought Fast Track, there is no way I could have done everything in one day. I am not even sure if my two days at the park would have been enough.

BlahBlahson wrote:Valhalla is the star of Blackpool. I have a soft spot for Boat rides, and my favorite two Disney attractions are Splash Mountain at WDW and Pirates at DLP. I would ride Valhalla over BOTH of those. If Maelstrom at Norway had been that good then it would have been worth saving!

Valhalla is definitely a world class attraction. That ride alone is worth the trip to Blackpool! Now even more with their brand new coaster Icon.

Canobie Coaster wrote:That 4 pm closing time is nuts. I went on a day where everything was a walk-on and I barely got on everything because of how long it took to get between each attraction. I really wonder how late they stayed open prior to the Smiler incident.

The early closing is really unacceptable. I mean, it is one of the biggest parks in Europe that is open for only a 6 hour a day?

Acoording to this site, in 2015 the park was open from 10 - 18 at the end of June.
Quality Over Quantity

Postby JordyC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Toverland (Fēnix) - July 2018

Hello everyone!

On Sunday July 8th, I visited Toverland to check out their two brand new themed areas; Port Laguna and Avalon, that both officially opened to the public the day before.

Port Laguna is Toverland's new entrance area, themed to an idyllic harbor town with shops, entertainment, a water playground and various interactive elements. When you have passed through the new entrance, you are in the middle of a harbor area with an atmospheric boulevard: the Via Magia. Several well-detailed buildings are located on this boulevard, with as eye-catcher the 27 meter tall lighthouse Solaris. The entrance area is also home to a large stage for entertainment in the summer months. However, the new entrance area Port Laguna isn't the only novelty at Toverland this year. They opened another themed area, called Avalon, which is themed to the Celtic legends around Merlin, King Arthur and the magical sword Excalibur. Avalon is home to a boatride with a dark ride section, Merlin's Quest, and a B&M Wing Coaster, Fēnix.

What are my thoughts?

Well, first of all, I can not stress enough how impressed I am that a very young park like Toverland has opened two fantastic new themed areas in the same year. Who would have thought that we would ever see a massive Wing coaster at this park? So massive congratulations to Toverland!

The new entrance area Port Laguna is the entrance this park really needed. From here, guests are able to enter the various themed areas of the park. The music and atmosphere around Port Laguna are excellent. The area looks gorgeous and there are lots of details everywhere you look; on the floor, in the walls, on the buildings and behind corners. You really feel immersed in this magical harbor town. Of course, the highlight of this area is Solaris, the beautiful lighthouse.

DSC_0019.JPG
Welcome to Toverland!

DSC_0022.JPG
The new entrance looks great.

DSC_0040.JPG
Port Laguna is the all new entrance area.

DSC_0029.JPG
It is themed to a magical harbor town.

DSC_0031.JPG
The (literal) highlight of the area is Solaris, the lighthouse.

DSC_0032.JPG
There are various shops and games around Port Laguna.

DSC_0034.JPG
The buildings around the entrance plaza look amazing.

DSC_0035.JPG
There even is a talking parrot.

DSC_0042.JPG
The entrance area is home to a large stage.

DSC_0038.JPG
The theming of this area is excellent, but the music around Port Laguna makes it even better.

DSC_0044.JPG
Lots of play equipment for the kids (and adults, too).

DSC_0045.JPG
It really is the main entrance area this park needed. It has such a lovely atmosphere.

DSC_0046.JPG
I really like the look of those buildings.

DSC_0052.JPG
There are lots of little details everywhere you look.

DSC_0050.JPG
Port Laguna is the proper entrance area this park really needed.

DSC_0054.JPG
Even the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are themed.

DSC_0055.JPG
There are quite a few special effects in Port Laguna. When you move the handle, the broom starts to move.

DSC_0056.JPG
For real, this area is so well themed.

DSC_0069.JPG
The stage will be used for events like the park's midsummer evening event, when Toverland is open until 11 pm.

DSC_0081.JPG
Solaris towers over Port Laguna.

DSC_0087.JPG
Port Laguna is like the central hub that connects the various themed areas of the park.

Avalon is the other new area at Toverland. I loved Port Laguna, but Avalon took it to the next level. This area is stunning. When you turn the corner leading up to Avalon, you are greeted by one of the most impressive views at any theme park. The airtime hill and the zero-G roll of Fēnix going over the lake and the boats of Merlin's Quest, with the sword Excalibur in the foreground really is something else. My mouth literally dropped open. Once again, this area is full with little details and is literally build around Fēnix, which makes it a very photogenic coaster.

Merlin's Quest is the park's first dark ride. It is mainly a boat ride going over Avalon's lake and underneath Fēnix. The outdoor section is nice and relaxing and gives great views of the area. About halfway the ride, the boat sails into a ruin, where the dark section part begins. Toverland has really surpassed themself. Every scene is better than the previous one. What really makes this ride is the smells in the different scenes, it gets you immersed even more. There are also various animatronics during the ride, even though most of them barely move. The most impressive one is the tree-creature, which is massive. The only minor negative I have with Merlin's Quest is that the dark ride section doesn't last very long. But the quality of the indoor section more than makes up for that. If Merlin's Quest is a preview of a future full-scale dark ride at Toverland, then we are in for a real treat.

DSC_0096.JPG
Avalon is the other new area at Toverland. Of course, it features the magical sword Excalibur.

DSC_0340.JPG
The Flaming Feather is Toverland's first à la carte restaurant, that is also their newest event location.

DSC_0345.JPG
Toverland wouldn't be Toverland without play equipment.

DSC_0348.JPG
The toilets are themed to a horse stable.

DSC_0420.JPG
Merlin's Quest is the first dark ride at Toverland.

DSC_0423.JPG
It is mainly a boat ride that takes you around Avalon, but is also features a very good dark ride section.

DSC_0424.JPG
The boats are so well detailed. I really like the feather in front.

DSC_0116.JPG
You can get great views of Avalon and Fēnix from Merlin's Quest.

DSC_0359.JPG
It is an excellent way to relax and enjoy the gorgeous theming.

DSC_0342.JPG
The dark ride section itself is very well done. The different smells in there really gets you immersed.

DSC_0447.JPG
It is a perfect addition to Toverland. It makes me wonder how awesome a full-scale dark ride would be at this park.

Fēnix (8.5/10)
The main highlight of Avalon is, of course, Fēnix. Fēnix is clearly the best themed coaster at Toverland, and is a fantastic overall experience. The coaster itself is one of the best Wing coasters I have done, but what really makes this coaster superb is the excellent theming throughout the queue and around the ride - it is phenomenal.

It all starts when you enter the very well detailed queue line, that really gets you immersed in the story line. The ride begins with a right turn out of the station into a dark 'warehouse', that isn't yet themed. But the park announced they will be adding theming there throughout this year. Next, you will start your climb on the rather steep lift hill. You then make an unusual right turn into the signature dive drop, which gives excellent hangtime in the front seats and a forceful whip in the left back seat. I really like these dive drops. After some high G's on the bottom of the drop, you enter an airtime hill that provides very strong floater airtime in the front and back seats. Fēnix then makes its way into the second inversion of the ride; an Immelmann. This element has some good forces and a little bit of hangtime at the top. What follows is definitely the most intense part of the ride. The 360 degree helix is much more intense than I thought it would be. It pulls some very strong positive G's, that caused me to grey out every single time, no matter where I sat. Before you know, you are twisting over the lake into the final inversion. The right-turning helix causes the right side of the train to twist all the way up into the left-turning zero-G roll. This was my favorite part of the ride, especially in the right front seat. Next, you enter a highly banked turn to the left which is a very unique sensation on a wing coaster. The following turns give some decent forces, after which a gradual turn guides the train into the brake run.

Fēnix is also full of near-miss elements that really adds to the overall experience. I liked the ride more in the front, mainly because of these near-misses. The drop is better in the back, though. The coaster is also way more intense than I expected it to be. Genuinely, that helix pulls more G's (5, to be exact) than most of the Inverts. In terms of other Wing coasters I have done, I very slightly prefer The Swarm over Fēnix, mainly because of The Swarm's final inversion. But I'd take Fēnix over Flug der Dämonen any day.

Fēnix is an excellent addition to Toverland and one of the best themed thrill coasters in Europe. Toverland really has a really bright future ahead of it!

DSC_0300.JPG
It is finally time to ride the newest wing coaster in Europe -- Fēnix!

DSC_0337.JPG
The whole area around this coaster looks amazing.

DSC_0295.JPG
This way to Fēnix!

DSC_0299.JPG
There aren't many coasters out there that have a more beautiful entrance than Fēnix.

DSC_0304.JPG
The experience begins when you enter the queue line. It was very dark in there, so I wasn't able to get much photos, sadly. But believe me when I say that it looks amazing.

DSC_0309.JPG
You can choose to queue for the front seats or the back seats.

DSC_0290.JPG
Toverland really surpassed themself with the theming.

DSC_0286.JPG
Fēnix starts with its climb on the lift hill.

DSC_0137.JPG
At the top, you make a right turn and get some great views from the rest of the park.

DSC_0466.JPG
Before you know, you swoop into the signature dive drop, which gives great hangtime.

DSC_0231.JPG
In the left back seat, you turn really high before you drop down. This makes the drop even better.

DSC_0200.JPG
There are some very strong forces on this coaster.

DSC_0171.JPG
After the drop, you enter an airtime hill that goes over the lake and Merlin's Quest.

DSC_0120.JPG
You get some very strong floater airtime on this hill.

DSC_0287.JPG
The second inversion has, once again, some pretty good forces.

DSC_0422.JPG
You even get a bit of hangtime at the top.

DSC_0367.JPG
This helix is the most intense part of the ride. I greyed out every single time.

DSC_0444.JPG
I was expecting some good forces in this helix, but they are much stronger than I thought they would be.

DSC_0397.JPG
If you sit on the right side of the train, you get whipped all the way over into the zero-G roll.

DSC_0130.JPG
Once again, you pass over Merlin's Quest.

DSC_0236.JPG
The zero-G roll is my favorite part of the ride.

DSC_0133.JPG
After an excellent near-miss element, you enter a highly banked turn, which is an awesome sensation on a wing coaster.

DSC_0460.JPG
After going through a couple more turns, Fēnix then makes its way back to the station.

DSC_0143.JPG
Fēnix is clearly the highlight of Avalon.

DSC_0182.JPG
The trains look amazing, too!

DSC_0209.JPG
The views from up there are fantastic.

DSC_0148.JPG
The ride itself is alreay very good, but what really makes Fēnix is its immersive theming.

DSC_0220.JPG
Airtime for the win!

DSC_0227.JPG
The multiple near-misses made me like this ride more in the front.

DSC_0416.JPG
The drop and hangtime are better in the back.

DSC_0439.JPG
Twisty!

DSC_0436.JPG
The moment when the high intensity helix begins.

DSC_0127.JPG
It is such a gorgeous ride.

DSC_0205.JPG
Fēnix is very photogenic.

DSC_0376.JPG
5 G's are enough to make me grey out.

DSC_0414.JPG
This inversion is my favorite part of the ride.

DSC_0293.JPG
It is very impressive to look at.

DSC_0121.JPG
Because of the theming and atmosphere, I might say that Fēnix is my favorite coaster at Toverland.

DSC_0255.JPG
Because the entire area is build around Fēnix, you can get great views from almost anywhere.

DSC_0446.JPG
Fēnix is a fantastic addition to Toverland.

DSC_0456.JPG
One last photo of Avalon and Fēnix to end this report.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by JordyC on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm.
Quality Over Quantity

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Awesome photos!!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm

It has been amazing watching Toverland begin as an FEC and turn into a complete amusement park.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Great report!

I had no clue Fenix was going to look so awesome! For some reason I just pictured the ride going in a big, empty field. The interaction with the water and near-misses look great. Plus that dive drop looks really unique with the turn before it.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!