Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Attractiepark Slagharen - September
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Postby JordyC » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! I loved Blackpool Pleasure Beach last year, so glad to see you enjoyed it as well. It really does have an excellent mix of dark rides and coasters, particularly now that Icon seems to have given them the home run coaster they needed.

Thank you! Blackpool Pleasure Beach is an awesome park that deserves a lot more attention, in my opinion. Icon may very well be the first step for a very bright future for this park.

Canobie Coaster wrote:I'm glad someone else appreciated Big Dipper too. I too had no clue how much airtime it would give in the back row. That first drop seriously is one of the best out there.

Big Dipper certainly has excellent airtime on the first half of the ride, that I was not expecting at all. The airtime on the second half is still good, but nothing in comparison with the airtime you get on the first two drops. I wonder why there is not enough talked about Big Dipper as it should, because it is my favorite wooden coaster at Blackpool.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 am

I think a lot of people are willing to look past the bumpiness of Grand National because of how much airtime that ride provides. I did prefer Grand National too, but it was close.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby JordyC » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am

I can definitely see why someone would prefer Grand National over Big Dipper. For me, the shakiness just took away too much of the experience, so I simply could not enjoy the ride as much I would have liked to. If Grand National would have been as smooth as Big Dipper, then it would also be my favorite wooden coaster at Blackpool.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has always intrigued me and reports like this continue to make we want to finagle a visit in a future trip!

I can't help but stop and stare at this photo. The inspiration of the ride it pulled from is really obvious in a neat and funny kind of way!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby JordyC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 am

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has always been a park that I wanted to visit, too. The great selection of classic rides and wooden coasters alone, make it worth the visit. Now that they have Icon, it should be very high on everyone's to do list.

I really liked the Alice in Wonderland dark ride. Like you said, it is very, very obvious, but that makes me love this ride even more.
Quality Over Quantity

Postby JordyC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 am

South Pier - June 2018

Hello everyone!

From June 23th to June 26th 2018, I went for my first ever time to the United Kingdom to visit the major theme parks the country has to offer. I spent my first day at Thorpe Park, my second day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and South Pier, and my third and fourth day at Alton Towers.

On June 24th, I visited South Pier. The park is located about 200 m from Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which I visited earlier that day. South Pier is one of three piers in Blackpool, and it actually was my first park I have ever done on a pier. South Pier has a very solid fun fair, which despite its rather small size manages to pack a punch with a good mix of travelling-model rides. There are some pretty extreme experiences available, including Sky Coaster and Sky Screamer, but they both require an up-charge (£15). New for 2018 is Crazy Coaster, a very solid spinning Wild Mouse. Sadly, it is currently the only Mouse coaster in Blackpool. South Pier also has a great bar, good food, some typical fairground games and an arcade.

DSC_0528.JPG
Welcome to South Pier!

DSC_0531.JPG
It was my first ever park on a pier.

DSC_0540.JPG
The first half of the pier is mainly home to bars, fairground games and the arcade.

DSC_0545.JPG
Lots of different games are available in the arcade.

DSC_0530.JPG
The second half of the pier is where all the rides are located, except for the log flume, which is placed next to the entrance of the pier. The log flume was fun, but nothing too special. I didn't get too wet either.

DSC_0542.JPG
South Pier also has quite a few rides for kids.

DSC_0543.JPG
BrakeDance is the first thrill ride you will come across. It is probably one of the better ones I have done.

DSC_0556.JPG
The carousel looked nice, but I didn't ride it.

DSC_0544.JPG
They even have a bouncy slide.

DSC_0551.JPG
The pier is also home to the Dodgems, which were one of the fastest ones I have done. I always love a good dodgems, and this one was very, very good.

DSC_0549.JPG
While I absolutely love airtime, these type of rides make me feel really sick really fast. I did consider riding it, but the cycle lasted for at least 5 minutes. I am pretty sure that would have been too much for me, so I didn't ride X-Factor.

DSC_0605.JPG
It is maybe hard to believe, but this was the first Waltzer I have ridden. The ride was okay, I probably wouldn't ride it again.

DSC_0546.JPG
I was really looking forward to trying the Sky Coaster, but unlike what the sign says, it was closed. Bummer.

DSC_0589.JPG
Sky Screamer - the bungee ride - was open, though! I have done quite a few of these bungee rides now, a lot of them being a lot taller than this one. But Sky Screamer is at the top of my list. This ride is awesome! The launch is pretty forceful and I flipped upside down a good few times, but the highlight of this ride is clearly the view that you get while you are up in the air. In my opinion, this is the best ride South Pier has to offer.

DSC_0552.JPG
Some other bungee rides I have done have better launches, but this one has the views!

DSC_0602.JPG
Maybe the closed Sky Coaster would have given me another opinion, but this ride is the star attraction of South Pier.

Crazy Coaster (5/10)
Crazy Coaster is the standard Reverchon spinning coaster you see a lot at local fairs. While the layout is pretty much identical, the main advantage Crazy Coaster has, is that it is located right near the end of the pier. While riding the coaster, you get some amazing views from Blackpool's seaside. Also, because it is located on the end of the pier, you feel a lot higher up than you actually are and on the corners it really feels like you might fall into the deep. I am not a massive fan of spinning coasters, so the ride itself was okay. The drops and the little airtime hill near the end of the ride did give some pretty solid airtime. I didn't spin too much during my ride, but I saw other cars spinning like a top. The ride is also very smooth. Because of its location, Crazy Coaster is probably my favorite one of this model.

DSC_0558.JPG
It is time to ride the new-for-2018 coaster - Crazy Coaster.

DSC_0596.JPG
The first part of the ride is non-spinning, while you will spin like crazy on the second part of the ride.

DSC_0581.JPG
Spinning around on Crazy Coaster.

DSC_0570.JPG
Because Crazy Coaster is located on the end of the pier, you are literally riding a coaster above the water.

DSC_0578.JPG
Really, the location of this ride is what makes it worth a visit to South Pier alone.

DSC_0572.JPG
The little airtime hill near the end of the ride provides a good pop of airtime.

DSC_0557.JPG
You get some crazy views on Crazy Coaster.

DSC_0560.JPG
On the corners, it really feels like you might fall into the water.

DSC_0561.JPG
It is the best Reverchon spinning coaster I have done.

DSC_0591.JPG
Hairtime!

DSC_0537.JPG
You can get some stunning views from the end of pier.

DSC_0576.JPG
The proof that the earth is flat...

DSC_0571.JPG
South Pier is located nearby Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It is really worth a visit after a day of riding classic rides, and Icon!

So overall, I had a great time at my first ever visit to park on a pier. The highlight was defenitely the bungee ride, followed by Crazy Coaster. I can highly suggest visiting South Pier after a visit to the Pleasure Beach. It is a brilliant way to end your day.

Thanks for reading!
Quality Over Quantity

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Great report! Glad to see South Pier added another spinning mouse.

I'm a bit shocked you weren't impressed by the Waltzer. That really is one of the best flats I've ridden. The operator was running that thing ridiculously fast.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

Postby JordyC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 pm

^Thank you!

Canobie Coaster wrote:I'm a bit shocked you weren't impressed by the Waltzer. That really is one of the best flats I've ridden. The operator was running that thing ridiculously fast.

Hmm, that is very interesting. When I rode it, it was pretty tame, to be honest. It was fun, but not as fast or crazy as you are describing. If that has anything to do with the operator, than it is a real shame I didn't get to experience the ride at its full potential...
Quality Over Quantity

Postby JordyC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:19 am

Alton Towers (Wicker Man) - June 2018

Hello everyone!

From June 23th to June 26th 2018, I went for my first ever time to the United Kingdom to visit the major theme parks the country has to offer. I spent my first day at Thorpe Park, my second day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and South Pier, and my third and fourth day at Alton Towers.

On June 25th and June 26th, I visited Alton Towers. Alton Towers has always been on top of my bucket list, so it was my most anticipated park of the trip. If you have read my previous reports, you know that I love theme parks with a lot of natural beauty. So yes, my expectations for this park were pretty high. And guess what, Alton Towers surely lived up to its billing - I loved this place! It has a very good collection of coasters combined with the gorgeous gardens and, of course, the Towers itself. It really is one of the most beautiful parks I have visited, it was even better than I expected it to be. Alton Towers is also very well maintained, that goes for the rides, the Towers and the gardens. The park is spread across a huge area, so be preperad for a ton of walking. I am used to walking big distances between rides, since my home park is Efteling, but Alton Towers is on another level though, mainly due to the park being very hilly.

Just like the previous days of my trip, the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Combining the beautiful sunshine with it being one of the last weeks of school in the UK, it resulted in the park being very, very busy. Queue times exceeding 60 minutes were not an exception. The biggest queues were for Smiler, Wicker Man and Galactica (thanks VR). For my two days, I decided to buy Fastrack. With Fastrack, the longest I have waited was about 30 minutes for Galactica. Most of the other rides were a 5-10 minute wait.

The most annoying about Alton Towers was the fact that the park shuts at 4 pm. Fortunately, I was staying on-site, so I was able to get in 30 minutes of early ride time (which was actually more like 30 minutes of early queue time). But still, 6.5 hours at a park this massive with such big crowds is unbelievable. I barely got to do everything once with Fastrack on my first day, and I really had to hurry. So I was very happy I had another day to experience the rides this amazing park has to offer.

DSC_0606.JPG
I am finally here at Alton Towers!

DSC_0610.JPG
As soon as you enter the park, you are greeted by the frogs on Towers Street.

DSC_0612.JPG
What an impressive view when you enter the park.

DSC_0611.JPG
Let's explore CBeebies Land.

DSC_0615.JPG
It is a very busy kids area, with most of the queue times around 30 minutes.

DSC_0617.JPG
It is a very well themed area.

DSC_0613.JPG
With lots of great rides for kids.

Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure (3.5/10)
Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure is an excellent kiddie coaster with some very cute theming. You get two laps on it, and each time the whale shoots out water and there are coming bubbles out of the station. The coaster was very smooth, too. The real star of the ride was the operator, though. He was making sure everyone left the ride with a huge smile on their faces, including me.

DSC_0619.JPG
Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure is the park's junior coaster.

DSC_0622.JPG
The whale shoots out water everytime you pass by.

DSC_0635.JPG
It is a very good coaster for the smallest children.

Spinball Whizzer (5.5/10)
Spinball Whizzer is one of the larger spinning coasters. The ride was fairly well themed, and had a better-than-average layout. You get a few pops of airtime here and there, which I didn't expect. The second drop is the largest one and we were spinning while going down this drop, so that was most likely my highlight of the ride. I am not a massive fan of spinning coasters, which is the reason why I don't rate this one higher.

DSC_0657.JPG
Spinball Whizzer is the park's spinning coaster which is themed to a giant pinball machine.

DSC_0648.JPG
The ride itself is actually pretty good for a spinning coaster.

DSC_0653.JPG
The highlight for me was the second drop, where you spin while you are going down.

DSC_0661.JPG
It is actually one of the better spinning coasters out there.

Smiler (9/10)
I have heard a lot of different opinions about the Smiler; some find it very rough and do not like it at all, some call it one of their favorite coasters. I tend more towards the latter group. While the ride isn't the smoothest one out there, it is definitely not rough. It has a few bumps here and there going through the 14 different inversions, but that is about it. It didn't take away from the ride experience at all. The Smiler is simply amazing! It just keeps on going and going, inversion after inversion. The ride starts with a small drop out of the station, whereafter you go through an heartline roll with excellent hangtime, before going up the first lift hill. The drop itself wasn't memorable, but like most coasters at Alton Towers, it gives the ride the speed that it needs. Next, the first part of the inversion party begins. Some inversions provide hangtime, while others whip you around - It is an excellent mix. I did expect the ride to be more forceful though, maybe a helix at the end of the ride would have been a bonus, but the two ejector airtime hills going through the "smiling device" more than made up fo that. After the first half of the ride (which doesn't feel like half a coaster at all), you climb the ride's second lift hill. Other than the lift hill being vertical, the second part was very similar to the first half; same type of inversions and same ejector airtime hill. Also, the theming was rather unique, but well done. I actually liked Smiler a lot more than I originally thought I would. It really is a fantastic coaster. Smiler ended up being my favorite coaster at Alton Towers.

DSC_0679.JPG
X-Sector is the area of the park where Smiler and Oblivion are located.

DSC_0723.JPG
Smiler is a fantastic coaster, that just keeps going and going.

DSC_0765.JPG
The ride has two lift hills, one of them being vertical.

DSC_0674.JPG
The first drop isn't memorable, but it gives the ride the speed that it needs.

DSC_0731.JPG
Let the inversion party begin!

DSC_0669.JPG
Smile. Always.

DSC_0729.JPG
Smiler also has two ejector airtime hills.

DSC_0742.JPG
I was expecting more positive G's, but the ride was still very intense, nonetheless.

DSC_0735.JPG
The second part was very similar to the first half, but still excellent.

DSC_0740.JPG
Some inversions provide excellent hangtime, while others whip you around whereafter you plunge towards the ground.

DSC_0761.JPG
It really is a mess of track.

DSC_0719.JPG
Smiler isn't the smoothest coaster, but it definitely isn't rough.

DSC_0689.JPG
A helix after the double corkscrew would have made this ride even better.

DSC_0710.JPG
It is also very easy to get a two train shot on the Smiler, thanks to park's great operations.

DSC_0706.JPG
Another two train shot.

DSC_0745.JPG
Smiler ended up being my favorite coaster at Alton Towers.

DSC_0737.JPG
The park is also home to an Enterprise.

Oblivion (7.5/10)
Oblivion is the original Dive coaster, so I was very excited how the drop would compare to some of the newer ones out there. The layout isn't anything special, but that drop is truly amazing. The tunnel looks like a black hole when are you hanging there at the top of the drop. The drop has got an outstanding freefall sensation, where I was out of my seat the whole way down. It is my favorite drop on a Dive coaster. The rest of the ride didn't do much, just a turn towards the brake run. I also love the theming of Oblivion, it is so well done and it really builds up the hype. I prefer Baron 1898, but for being the prototype it is a really great ride.

DSC_0763.JPG
It is time to ride the original Dive coaster - Oblivion.

DSC_0772.JPG
You are looking straight down into a black hole you are hanging there at the top of the drop.

DSC_0746.JPG
The layout is very basic, just a drop and a turn.

DSC_0759.JPG
The ride might be very short, but the drop really is outstanding. It is my favorite drop on a Dive coaster.

DSC_0782.JPG
Don't. Look. Down.

DSC_0791.JPG
Hex is a fantastic dark ride located inside the Towers. I knew it was going to be a Mad House, but I was pleasantly surprised with how awesomely themed this ride is. The storyline is also very well put together.

DSC_0787.JPG
The Towers are located in the centre of the park. You can see them from almost anywhere.

DSC_0826.JPG
What a fantastic location for a theme park.

DSC_0793.JPG
Alton Towers is one of the most gorgeous parks I have done.

DSC_0794.JPG
You wouldn't say that I am in one of the biggest theme parks in the Europe.

DSC_0795.JPG
Alton Towers is also home to another kids area; Cloud Cuckoo Land.

DSC_0797.JPG
While CBeebies Land was rammed, this area was pretty much deserted. I can definitely see why, because CBeebies Land has a lot more rides and looks a hundred times better.

DSC_0799.JPG
You can learn how to drive a car at Alton Towers! Well, sort of..

DSC_0803.JPG
Time to explore the next area of the park - Dark Forest, which is home to Rita and Thirteen.

Rita (7/10)
Rita was my next coaster. I already rode Desert Race at Heide Park, so I knew what to expect from this ride; a very solid launch coaster. The launch had some good kick to it, but was nothing compared the Stealth's launch I experienced a couple of days earlier. The two hills provided a quick pop of strong floater airtime and the turns were pretty forceful. It actually has a decent length to it, which can't be said about most of these models. The theming was okay, probably one of the weaker themed rides at the resort. Rita is one of my least favorite launch coasters, but it still is a very solid and fun ride.

DSC_0819.JPG
Rita is very similar to Desert Race at Heide Park; a very solid launch coaster.

DSC_0816.JPG
The launch was probably one of the weaker hydraulic launches, but even then it is still pretty forceful.

DSC_0805.JPG
The two hills provide a good pop of airtime.

DSC_0822.JPG
The turns provided some good positive G's.

DSC_0820.JPG
Rita wasn't as short as some of the other launch coasters, which is always a bonus.

Thirteen (7/10)
I was pleasantly surprised by Thirteen. It is a family coaster, but not the standard one. The first drop provided some unexpected airtime in the back, but that was about it for airtime during the ride. It weaves through the forest, which was the best part before the indoor section. The real highlight of Thirteen was the second half of the ride. It was actually my first coaster that had a drop track, so I didn't really know what to expect from it. But it was awesome! The ride ends with a pitch black backwards section that has some tight turns and some surprising forces. The theming is very well done, and the drop track is very well hidden and themed, too. I liked Thirteen more than I expected, it really is one of the better family coasters out there.

DSC_0823.JPG
Thirteen is an excellent family coaster. I was pleasantly surprised by this coaster.

DSC_0828.JPG
The gardens look amazing!

DSC_0838.JPG
Mutiny Bay is another themed area of the park.

DSC_0839.JPG
It is home to quite a few family rides.

DSC_0835.JPG
What a beautiful park it is.

DSC_0834.JPG
The Splash Battle was very popular. Not that surprising, because it was absolutely roasting that day.

DSC_0887.JPG
The park is huge. You can choose so many different paths to go to an area of the park. You are easily walking 10-15 minutes between some rides.

DSC_0845.JPG
Katanga Canyon is home the park's rapid ride.

DSC_0988.JPG
Congo River Rapids.

DSC_0977.JPG
It always like a good rapids. I didn't get too wet on this one, though.

Nemesis (8.5/10)
Nemesis was my most anticipated coaster at Alton Towers. It is considered by many as one of the best Inverts out there, and I can definitely see why. Nemesis looks stunning. The amount of landscaping around the ride is incredible and the theming of the station looked really good, too. You start your ride with a right turn out of the station whereafter you start climbing the rather small lift hill. The first drop wasn't really a first drop, but more of a gradual turn into the first inversion. This corkscrew whips you through it, and at this point I knew I was in for a real treat. What follows is a very, very high-G helix, probably the most intense part of the ride. The zero-G roll that follows is fast and furious. It is only after the turn that follows that Nemesis will hit its max speed. The next inversion was the vertical loop, which was again very forceful. The ride ended with another intense and very whippy corkscrew. To add to all of this, Nemesis was full of foot-choppers, which made this coaster even better. Nemesis is intense, but not as intense as some other Inverts out there, like Monster or Batman: Arkham Asylum. However, I prefer Nemesis because of the incredible landscaping and the rather unique layout. I still prefer Black Mamba over Nemesis, though.

DSC_0894.JPG
It is finally time for one of my most anticipated coasters of the trip.

DSC_0893.JPG
"The world's most intense ride experience".

DSC_0912.JPG
You start your ride with climbing the surprisingly small lift hill.

DSC_0898.JPG
The first inversion of the ride was already very forceful.

DSC_0908.JPG
The amount of landscaping around this ride is incredible.

DSC_0910.JPG
Nemesis will hit its max speed right before the vertical loop, halfway through the ride.

DSC_0928.JPG
The most intense part of the ride was probably the helix right after the first inversion.

DSC_0924.JPG
Nemesis is very intense, but not the "world's most intense ride experience".

DSC_0942.JPG
What makes Nemesis really unique is the amount of foot-choppers and the excellent landscaping this ride has to offer. Combined with a unique layout and a very intense ride, you really have one of the best coasters in Europe.

DSC_0931.JPG
Nemesis is my new favorite Invert.

Galactica (6.5/10)
It was time to ride my first ever Flying coaster, Galactica. I really dislike VR, so I only rode it the way it was meant to be ridden (also because the queue for VR was four times as long). The ride starts with a straight drop without any airtime through the portal (that is very photogenic, by the way), whereafter the fly-to-lie inversion gave some good forces that I had never experienced before. That was probably the highlight of the coaster. The rest of the ride doesn't do much, you are just meandering around the terrain. It was fun flying around, but the ride could have used a few more exciting elements and some more forces. I also really didn't like the restraints, you are so strapped in and have no freedom at all. I know, that is the only way to make you feel like flying, but Galactica wasn't really my cup of tea.

DSC_0964.JPG
Galactica was my first ever Flying coaster.

DSC_0944.JPG
I didn't really like the restraints on Galactica. I prefer coasters where you have more freedom.

DSC_0945.JPG
I didn't ride the VR version, because 1) I don't like VR at all, and 2) I am not going to wait in a queue of 60 minutes.

DSC_0953.JPG
The ride starts with a straight drop through the portal.

DSC_0946.JPG
Galactica doesn't really do much, it just meanders above the pathways and the terrain.

DSC_0955.JPG
It would have been a lot better if the coaster had more unique elements and a bit more force.

DSC_0961.JPG
It was fun flying around, but it is not one of my favorite coaster types.

DSC_0972.JPG
The fly-to-lie inversion gave some good forces that I had never experienced before.

DSC_0974.JPG
Duel was a very good interactive dark ride with a few good scares. I really love these kind of rides.

Runaway Mine Train (4/10)
Runaway Mine Train is one of the best powered coasters I have done. It has a very unique layout, good theming and a tunnel. Also, it interacts very well with the park's rapids ride.

DSC_0987.JPG
Runaway Mine Train is the park's powered coaster.

DSC_0985.JPG
The ride was very fun. One of the better ones I have experienced.

Wicker Man (8.5/10)
The newest coaster at Alton Towers is Wicker Man. It is clearly the best themed coaster at the park, it is a world class experience. The coaster itself isn't the best GCI out there, but what really makes this coaster superb is the theming, the atmosphere and the music around the area and the ride - it really is phenomenal. It all starts with the incredible pre-show. I won't spoil it for anyone, but it is one of the best pre-shows I have seen. The ceremony commences when you make a right turn out of the station into a pitch black tunnel that is full with smoke. Next, you will start your climb on the quirky lift hill that has two different angles of ascent. The turn towards and part of the first drop is completely enclosed. After some decent floater airtime on the first drop, you will enter an airtime hill that provides very good airtime in the front and back seats. This airtime hill is also enclosed, which really gives you a feeling like you're flying through the course. What follows is arguably the best part of the ride; the airtime hill ends with a sharp declined right hand turn that gives some surprising forces, followed by a fast and airtime-full transition into a left turn towards the first interaction with the massive Wicker Man structure. You make a turn over the entrance and the queue line of the ride before going through the structure for a second time, whereafter there is some more airtime going in the following turn and another airtime filled transition into a left turn. The ride then makes an unbanked right turn providing some good lateral forces, before dipping down with loads of airtime towards the third and final interaction with the Wicker Man. The following turns give again some airtime in the transitions. A slight unbanked turn to the right guids the train towards the brake run where the ceremony doesn't end just yet. After the brakes, you wil enter another pitch black tunnel with some fire effects inside, that will bring you towards the station where there is "no escape to the right".

You interact with the Wicker Man itself for a total of three times, when the Wicker Man bursts into flames. At least that is what it is supposed to do, because the fire effects weren't working the days I was there. That was a bit of a shame, because I bet that would have looked stunning! Wicker Man is also very smooth, most likely the smoothest GCI I have done. In terms of other GCI's I have done, I probably rank it just behind Wodan and Troy. Wicker Man is one of the best overall experiences I have done, it truly is a stunning ride.

DSC_0882.JPG
The time has come for the Wicker Man to rise!

DSC_0879.JPG
You pass through this stunning Wikcer Man structure for a total of three times.

DSC_0849.JPG
The lift hill has two different angles of ascent, which looks kind of odd.

DSC_0852.JPG
The coaster itself isn't the best one out there, but the theming and the atmosphere that is built around the ride really makes this coaster phenomenal.

DSC_0854.JPG
Almost all of the transitions are full of airtime.

DSC_1010.JPG
Wicker Man is the smoothest GCI I have ridden.

DSC_0884.JPG
The interactions with the Wicker Man are all fantastic.

DSC_0868.JPG
Such a shame the fire effects weren't working, though. I bet it would have looked even better.

DSC_0863.JPG
Another look at the quirky lift hill.

DSC_1002.JPG
Despite there being a good amount of airtime in the back seat on the first drop, the tunnel makes it even better.

DSC_0994.JPG
The first airtime hill after the drop provides very good airtime in the front and back seats.

DSC_0877.JPG
The ride starts with an incredible pre-show, one of the best ones I have seen.

DSC_1000.JPG
After the unbanked turn, you drop down with loads of airtime towards the final interaction with the Wicker Man.

DSC_1016.JPG
This ride really is a world class experience.

DSC_0858.JPG
Wicker Man is full of airtime.

DSC_1013.JPG
It is a very impressive ride to look at.

DSC_1004.JPG
The highlight of the ride is this sharp declined right hand turn after the airtime hill, followed by a fast transition into a left turn.

DSC_0881.JPG
One last photo of the amazing Wicker Man to end this report.

So overall, I had an excellent time at this park. The highlights of the day were clearly Smiler, Nemesis and Wicker Man, which are three world class coasters. Out of the parks I went to on this trip, Alton Towers is for sure my favorite one. The natural surroundings and the theming of the rides at Alton Towers were just excellent throughout.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by JordyC on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am.
Quality Over Quantity

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Great report! Glad to hear that Wicker Man is a really great experience. I was a bit worried the modest stats and insane marketing campaign would lead to another Th13teen letdown, but it looks like Wicker Man actually has a solid ride to go with the theming.

As for Nemesis, I really think the only drawback is its short length. But I'd be hard pressed to name more intense inverts.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!