TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The gate to the parking lot will usually open between 9 and 9:30. They usually start letting cars past the point where you pay for parking around 9:30. They usually start letting people past the metal detectors around 10 AM. They usually let you in the park at 10:15 AM. The rides begin at 10:30 AM. It's not always the same, but this is the way they usually do things. I'm always at the park early, so I know that this is how it works.

Thanks! I'll adjust and arrive at 10am then. Y'all just saved me from getting crushed by the other families.

I don't know why I feel like remembering that I queued up in front of goliath early last year.

In regards to the 'violence', I don't know if I witnessed the Mardi Gras area one referenced previously or another one in the same area on the same day... Either way we had just exited Roaring Rapids and there was a heavy police presence as well as easily a two dozen park 'security' in the area keeping people apart and trying to calm everyone down... One dolt that was clearly a 'suspect' in the incident started to get quite belligerent both physically and vocally with the park staff, while proclaiming to the staff he was leaving because he didn't do anything, let's just say that didn't go well for him as he was quickly met by three officers and a K-9 unit, and informed he was patently incorrect about just leaving, albeit in the end he actually might have been right about leaving as he was given a pair of shiny bracelets for his actions...

It definitely was not a crowded day so it wasn't a crowd-driven conflict, in fact the park was quite empty, probably due to the heat, I don't think any line was longer than 15 minutes on Fathers Day, even the Joker was only about a 10 minute wait...

On that note, we were there again this weekend and there was a clearly bigger police presence, both police in the parking lot driving up and down the parking lanes and in the park itself where I saw several Gurnee police on bikes and also walking around the park...

Oh and BTW I do love how they tell you to report line jumping then do nothing about it, we were in line for X-Flight and when the gates opened to get on the ride two line jumpers literally pushed past my brother and his wife that were next, jumped on the ride and harnessed up in haste, we reported them and easily a half dozen other people in line confirmed what had happened, but the two individuals refused to move and said everyone else was lying thus nothing was done by park staff... Talking to a few other people about it afterwards, apparently, they too have reported line jumpers but faced the same dead-end reaction from staff, apparently as long as the line jumper denies they jumped nothing happens, so that policy is a little disappointing...

Park was absolutely dead today. Yesterday we waited in line quite a bit for the 3-4 hours we were there. Today was walk-ons or station waits for every coaster we did, depending on the row. Stayed from 12:15 until 4 and got in 16 rides (including rerides) as opposed to 5 yesterday for a similar amount of time. Very well landscaped and maintained compared to other Six Flags parks. Tied for my favorite Six Flags between Great America and Over Texas.

Ha, I heard from a friend that it was indeed dead (Goliath station wait and Superman sending empty rows) so I drove down. Literally right as I got there the bad weather started kicking in. I was about to get on Hangover when it closed for weather and never reopened. I stayed around until the park was closed early at 5:30 but didn't get a single ride in. So close!

Glad to hear you had a good time

Hello all, I'm finally returning back to my old stomping grounds for the first time since the late 80's. I notice there has been a few changes since then. Planning on going on Monday July 16th and I'm looking for your expert advice on how to tackle the park. Will definitely be arriving when the park opens, and not sure yet how late we'll be staying. Oh, does it get cool there in the evening, or should I just prepare for hot and stick all day? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Locals can tell you how to tackle the park better than I can, my only advice (since it sounds like you've never ridden it) is to ride Raging Bull in the very back row. Not one from the back... the back. It's awesome.

Definitely on my "To Do" list. Been looking forward to riding this coaster for a long time!

Oh, and if anyone has any food recommendations, I'm looking for good places to eat in and near the park. Probably gonna eat somewhere nearby for breakfast, and then for dinner when we leave.

We had breakfast about 30 minutes away at Franks' Diner in Wisconsin, very good food but you'll have to go pretty early if you're trying to get to the park in time for opening. There's a Denny's less than 5 minutes away from the park as well as some other chain stuff. Depends on what you want.

Going clockwise around the park is probably the best strategy as Superman is going to get the most consistently long line along with Goliath, although locals probably have more detailed and accurate information in that regard.

I'm looking for your expert advice on how to tackle the park.

May I suggest if time permits you visit an Amazing Goodwill before hand and get a free rewards card, there is a dedicated Amazing Goodwill entrance that saved me easily 45 minutes to an hour of waiting in line to enter the park the other day!

https://www.amazinggoodwill.com/stores

As for eating Gurnee Mills and the plethora of restaurants around it, is just down the street...

If you want to avoid the high cost of beverages, bring a refillable water bottle, there are several water fountains and water bottle refill stations...

I also agree that if your goal is rides, generally heading left (clockwise) upon entry is best, most people head to the right (counter clockwise) and the older rides on that side that are normally only a moderate or short wait later in the day like the Whizzer and Demon will generally be long waits during the early gate entry times...

As for temps, it's the Chicago Land area, might be 100° during the day and 90° at night or it might be 70° during the day and 50° at night, look at the forecast when the date gets closer...

And last but not least, pay attention to the time if you are on the West side of the park around 6pm, as Hurricane Harbor closes there can be a huge inrush of people existing the water park into the regular park at that time driving up the wait times on rides in that area...

Hello all, I'm finally returning back to my old stomping grounds for the first time since the late 80's. I notice there has been a few changes since then. Planning on going on Monday July 16th and I'm looking for your expert advice on how to tackle the park. Will definitely be arriving when the park opens, and not sure yet how late we'll be staying. Oh, does it get cool there in the evening, or should I just prepare for hot and stick all day? Your help is greatly appreciated!
I was in the same boat as you last year. I went to the park all the time in the 80's and last year was my first trip back since the early 90's. We spent about 2 and half days at the park. I would goto Goliath first. Raging Bull has a better capacity to move through the line. I thought Bull was agood ride but I thought Goliath was by far the best ride in the park. I actually liked X Flight better than Raging Bull as well. Lines were typically 30-45 for X Flight when we went (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday). We did do Joker first on Monday because last year the lines were really long for it. That was the only ride we got on it. I found it to be rather average to be honest. Superman was almost always close to an hour wait as well. A few of the other rides that were always at least 30 minutes to an hour were V2, Dark Knight, and Viper. The American Eagle's line was very short and they ran both sides. That brought back some good memories. Overall the park felt more crowded than Six Flags Magic Mountain which is the closest Six Flags park to me,

Oh, and if anyone has any food recommendations, I'm looking for good places to eat in and near the park. Probably gonna eat somewhere nearby for breakfast, and then for dinner when we leave.

The Point Pancake House in Gurnee. Best breakfast around.

Locals can tell you how to tackle the park better than I can, my only advice (since it sounds like you've never ridden it) is to ride Raging Bull in the very back row. Not one from the back... the back. It's awesome.

Definitely on my "To Do" list. Been looking forward to riding this coaster for a long time!

Here's my post regarding dinner:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51125&p=1863667&hilit=timmy#p1863667

Timmy O'Toole's is right across the street from the park.

http://www.timothyotooles.com/gurnee

Excellent beer selection with lots of rare stuff on tap frequently and I've never been disappointed by the food.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/otooles-media/33883/MAIN-MENU-4112018-F-OUTLINED-G.pdf

Hmm, not seeing any dinning options that close to the park.

Huh?

These are basically across the street from the Grand Ave. entrance to the park

Timothy O'Toole's Pub (quite popular in the area for those seeking the pub/eatery atmosphere)

Royal Thai

These are about 1/2 mile West of the Grand Ave. entrance to the park

Hooters

Outback Steakhouse

Olive Garden

Cracker Barrel

Golden Corral (reasonably priced all you can eat buffet)

Culver's

About 2 miles West of the Grand Ave. Entrance in the Gurnee Mills Mall area

Portillo's (a cult favorite chain in the Chicago area for hotdogs and Italian beef, they also have salad offerings)

Rainforest Cafe

Steak 'n Shake

MOD Pizza

Uno Pizzeria

Red Lobster

Five Guys (burgers)

Red Robin (burgers)

Chipotle

About 3 miles West of the Grand Ave Entrance

Giordano's (authentic Chicago pizza)

On the East side of the park, about 1/2 to 1 mile from the Grand Ave Entrance

Primo Italian American Cuisine

Tacos El Norte (quite a popular local Mexican chain)

Stevens' (steakhouse)

And that is just touching the surface, I skipped most of the fast food chains and some smaller places and didn't go out beyond give or take 2 miles except for Giordano's as that was mentioned earlier...

I was planning to go to the park the weekend of September 8th, but the calendar says the park is closed that entire weekend. Does anyone know why?

End of summer change over to set up for fall Fright Fest...

I was planning to go to the park the weekend of September 8th, but the calendar says the park is closed that entire weekend. Does anyone know why?

End of summer change over to set up for fall Fright Fest...

I believe the park is usually closed that weekend due to buy outs also. (It has been in previous years)

I believe the park is usually closed that weekend due to buy outs also. (It has been in previous years)

Yeah, I was going to include that they generally they also have private events that week as well but it slipped my mind as I typed...

^I conquer! Timothy O'Tooles is amazing!

I'm so happy they have a second location in River North

That's the original and flagship location actually.... Spend tons of time down there for soccer matches and general bar shenanigans

And totally recommend either location....