TPR in Japan - 2018 - Theme parks and Japanese Fun!

Part 26 - More time at Tokyo DisneySEA!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: TPR in Japan - 2018 - Theme parks and Japanese Fun!

Postby XII » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Very disappointed to hear about the bad experience at Universal Studios Japan. I know it's looked really good from past trip reports, and I've heard great things about Flying Dinosaur. Really hoping that this was just a one-time fluke, and that the park will be running well again later on in the year.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Postby Moose » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:27 am

I'm sad to see how much the park has changed. I loved this park when I visited it with TPR in 2013, though I have no idea if the park was bad to deal with behind the scenes even then. I loved space fantasy, its interactive lifts, and discoball room at the end, its a shame that it seems to be permanently taken over by VR.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:46 am

Really disappointed to hear how the management handled the situation. Looks like a great park but I'd struggle to commit a day there on a busy vacation knowing the cost and absurd effort needed to get on all the rides.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 am

I forwarded the photos of the Final Fantasy stuff to my wife, and she's currently in the process of losing her mind over it. (She's a total FF junkie.) Selected responses from her:

> OMG WHERE IS THIS
> OMG
> AHHHHHH
> I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

Shame to hear about the substandard operations and service. That refund policy is straight up ridiculous. :(
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 am

I guess they figure now that they have the highest attendance in Japan, they can do anything they want. How nice of them.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am

When I went last year, I bought my Express Pass and day ticket (date specific) a month or two ahead of time on klook and kind of felt like I was taking a gamble with the park because if it ended up being a rainy day with many of the attractions closed, I would be out what I spent, which was around $120 USD. Luckily it worked out in the end and it was a nice day, but this tells me that if it didn't then it would've sucked.
What sounds surprising is the fact that they had some of the closed rides listed on the sign at the entrance, but not all of them. Even if they would've been unsure of when they were to re-open, they should've been posted as it could've been all day. If I were them, given that it was a breakdown of communication on their part, I think the Express Passes should've been refunded given the circumstances.
I'm going back to Japan in September and was planning to visit USJ again. This trip report kind of has me questioning whether I should spend a full day here or just go in the evening and just ride Flying Dinosaur, Jaws, Hollywood Dream, and Space Fantasy and get out of there. Or I could just scrap my entire USJ/Osaka portion of the trip and head further south in Japan for Greenland and parks around Beppo.

But the call of Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream is really tempting!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:02 pm

REGISTER for our forum to leave a comment!

Click HERE for an index of all our Japan 2018 Trip Updates

Follow our LIVE updates on Twitter and Instagram Stories!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And we are off on our next adventure!

Day Fifteen - Washuzan Highland and New Reoma Park!

This ended up being a "wet" day but thankfully all the parks we visited today operated everything in the rain, which a lot of parks in Japan do NOT, so that was a huge plus for us today. I was disappointed to see two of the coasters at Washuzan Highland "closed for maintenance" and I've heard the Ultra Twister has actually been SBNO for quite some time now. Truthfully, I didn't think this park would still be in existence when we visited four years ago and I firmly believe it may not be in another four years. We shall see. Anyway, on to some photos & videos...

Heading out on our next Japan adventure today!

Any morning in Japan that starts out with Starbucks is a good morning!

Our travels this morning have taken us to the world famous “pedal powered roller coaster” over the cliffs of Washuzan Highland in Japan! This ride was kind of terrifying!!!

TPR has once again survived the “backwards looping Togo coaster” at Washuzan Highland and honestly, this is a REALLY FUN ride!!!

This is how amazing Japan is. As we walked into the park they handed everyone free ponchos and apologized about the rain! (It was only lightly raining!)

So that is Megan... She was having “difficulty” putting on a poncho... “Guys! Stop making fun of me! Putting on a Poncho is HARD!!!” #Millennials

We all look DAMN SEXY in our green ponchos, don’t you think?

Fun Fact! That coaster train is actually going BACKWARDS!!!

We have always been impressed with the “rust” theming of this coaster!

It has a very realistic “dilapidated” look to it!

Well done in the theming department!

The pedal-powered roller coaster was a lot of fun!

And the views of the Seto Sea are fantastic!

We were just in time for the Brazilian Samba Show and it was quite amazing!

Some of our members got a little too into it! lol

Yes, that is a “stand-up” train and when it’s not moist outside, this coaster operates as both a sit-down and a stand-up ride!

Did we mention this park has an ass-load of stairs? We walked up hundreds!!! Bring your defibrillator!

Taking one more ride on the backwards looping Togo coaster because it’s actually shockingly a lot of fun!!!

We had a good time at Washuzan Highland. Bummed that a couple of the rides were closed for maintenance but we had fun on the attractions that were open!

Our train to the next park leaves from “Kojima: The Holy Land of Jeans!” (Seriously!!!)

Everything in this station is themed to “jeans!” The stairs...

the vending machines are denim themed...

the entrance gates have jean pockets...

and there is even a store to buy a pair of jeans!

In the shop you can buy “whale shark coin purses made out of jeans!”

The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo have jeans on them!

...and their station mascot is even a pair of jeans! This really IS the “Holy Land of Jeans!!!” :lol: :lmao:

We have made it to New Reoma World! It’s wet today but all rides are running! Yay!

Started our day at New Reoma World on Vivace!

That’s Italian for speed! It’s quite a fun coaster!

Space Ship 2056 is a pretty cool indoor “Space Mountain” type roller coaster!

It has some really neat effects and at certain times of the day, they run a VR version of the coaster!

Rainbow Bandits is a seriously fun and cute dark ride!

Suspended ride vehicles like Peter Pan with an anime themed storyline!

Took another ride on Vivace!

This ride feels like it has way more speed on it that it looks!

The “Lady Bird” coaster was a kids coaster but not a “kiddie” coaster.

It was fairly unique, spread out, and fun!

Here’s the park map for New Reoma World. As you can see, it’s a fairly decent sized park!

At just about every theme park in Japan you can get Katsu Curry.

It’s delicious and is a common staple food in Japan.

Even “amusement park” versions of this is better than how you get it in America!

Like many parks in Japan, New Reoma’s entrance area is covered so when it rains guests can have a sheltered area to go and still shop, have food, or just relax.

The sign showed Capybaras in the water...

...and when we got to the enclosure, we saw Capybaras in the water!

Had a fun visit to New Reoma World despite the weather. Even in the rain all rides and attractions were open! So that at least made for a successful visit!

Now, POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!! After all, we took the time to write this report, the least you can do is post something nice about it! :P

Click HERE for Part Sixteen of our 2018 TPR Japan Trip!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 pm.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Washuzan Highland looks very intriguing. I wonder what magic happens for the backwards looping Togo of death to somehow be better than the forwards ones. That coupled with the rusty aesthetic and stand-up train makes it a very interesting-looking ride. The pedal-powered coaster also definitely looks like a "never in America!" type of deal.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:13 pm

coneyislandchris wrote:I forwarded the photos of the Final Fantasy stuff to my wife, and she's currently in the process of losing her mind over it. (She's a total FF junkie.) Selected responses from her:

> OMG WHERE IS THIS
> OMG
> AHHHHHH
> I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

Shame to hear about the substandard operations and service. That refund policy is straight up ridiculous. :(

Same to all of this. A case could be made that Final Fantasy is the cause of our marriage. It's a series we've both loved since we were kids (I started with II/IV back on the SNES). A large number of our dates consisted of one of us bringing our memory card over to the other's apartment to play FFX, which was back then the latest in the series.

So yeah, my wife wants to go to Japan right now for this. The 1000 Needles churritos sealed the deal. :lol:

Odd that customer service was lacking. I understand customer service in Japan usually exceeds that in the States (as evidenced by those free ponchos). Frustrating, and especially bad because of the high cost.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby hauntguy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm sorry the TPR group did not have a Tramtastic day.

I started Googling to learn more about the screwy Express passes offered at USJ. While I was visiting the site, I came across "Information of temporarily closed attractions".

Space Fantasy - The Ride
closed 1/9/18-1/17/19 (Japan has a very unusual definition of "temporary")

Jaws
closed 6/11/18-6/24/19 (just missed it, Robb)

They state: "We will sell Express Pass as the regular price during the above maintenance, so screw you silly Americans".
I may not be translating that entirely accurately.

They also say (and I think I'm understanding this correctly) that if rides on your Express pass are closed due to maintenance, they offer "alternative attraction" EXCEPT for Harry Potter, Hippogriff, Hollywood Dream Backdrop. So if, say, Flying Dinosaur is closed for maintenance, they will offer some alternative, but not one of the three mentioned. I'm really surprised that Flying Dinosaur is not on that list. That implies it might be an alternative attraction? Nowhere does it mention a list of "alternative attraction".

What blows me away is that not only does your Express pass let you only do 4 or 7 rides depending on what you buy, you are pre-assigned very strict time windows for the "big rides". So if you purchase this Express pass long in advance, you sure as hell better not be delayed getting there, your you will be SOL. For the non time-window rides, you get a choice of Ride A or Ride B. i.e. Jaws or Spider Man. Google "USJ Express Pass 7" to see how unusable these are. The 7 attraction pass goes for around $77 and the 4 attraction for around $50.

I find their helpful information not helpful. And frankly, not Universal-like.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!