Photo TR: Adam's first trip to Cedar Point

P.3: Day 2 photos posted! Coasters, park history and cheese!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Photo TR: Adam's first trip to Cedar Point

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Thu May 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks, Adam, for giving me a glimpse into what it feels like being a first-time visitor to Cedar Point. I've never been there, but it's always intrigued me with its lineup of coasters!! I also so much enjoyed your commentary on the park's history. From the Pavilion to the museum, its great that Cedar Point takes genuine pride in its history. (I love the 'old prizes." As a collector of dog memorabilia, I have some of the old Chalkware figurines. Inasmuch as the stuff is amazingly fragile, today's coaster vibrations would probably knock them off the shelves of those old game booths! :lmao:

Alice

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

Our second day at Cedar Point was more about the smaller attractions (though we got in a few extra rides on some of the coasters) and experiencing more of the historical elements of the park...
51.JPG
Our second day began with a similar view as the first, albeit a little more rain.
52.JPG
The Peanuts!
53.JPG
I wish I had ridden Raptor earlier in the trip because it ended up being one of my favorite coasters in the park.
54.JPG
So very Roller Coaster Tycoon!
55.JPG
"Angle of Decent"
56.JPG
It is really is something to marvel at.
57.JPG
From the ground, the structure only looks so tall when you see a train shrink as it reaches the top of the tower and get larger as it descends back to the ground.
58.JPG
The Gemini Midway is a neat little section of the park.
59.JPG
When in Cedar Point, eat cheese on a stick.
60.JPG
It is exactly what the title describes... And in a weird way, it is really good.
61.JPG
I love the super retro Gemini station!
62.JPG
The park recently introduced some merchandise inspired by past attractions.
63.JPG
I really wish the park still had Fascination. It was one of my favorite "neat" experiences I enjoyed while visiting the East Coast parks years ago.
64.JPG
I'm a sucker for these kind of fortune teller experiences.
65.JPG
Taking a ride on the Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad was a great idea!
66.JPG
The skeleton show scenes were a really pleasant surprise!
67.JPG
I never expected to see something like this in a Cedar Fair park.
68.JPG
It is kind of neat to see huge coasters in view from a serene section of the park.
69.JPG
These animated scenes are really awesome in a quirky way!
70.JPG
I was especially intrigued by the site of Shoot the Rapids, which was demolished two years ago.
71.JPG
The ride's station and a small section of the trough out of the station was retained, but the rest of the area was reworked to make way for Professor Delbert's Frontier Fling.
72.JPG
Even more skeletons along the railroad tracks.
73.JPG
And more!
74.JPG
A different look at Rougarou.
75.JPG
Klassy.
76.JPG
I totally bought this (and the Raptor model)!
77.JPG
The arcade was absolutely huge!
78.JPG
Wicked Twister and Windseeker share a great location on the shore of Lake Erie.
79.JPG
Wicked Twister ended up being a really fun surprise of a coaster, though for the first time on any coaster, I barely was able to get the resraints to close.
80.JPG
Despite all of the challenges these rides experienced in their first few years, I've always wanted to get the chance to experience Windseeker firsthand.
81.JPG
While it wasn't operating on our first day, I was thrilled to see it running during our second (and last) day. And the ride was well worth doing at least once!
82.JPG
Cedar Downs Racing Derby was another charming experience I didn't expect to find here.
83.JPG
The fact that such a unique ride system was developed in 1920 and is still operating nearly 100 years later is astounding. And the ride is really fun!
84.JPG
I couldn't resist the opportunity to ride a classic flat ride like this!
85.JPG
Props to the ride ops crew for pumping up the energy before the ride even started!
86.JPG
I've been told something like this used to live at the Mall of America before it became Nickelodeon Universe.
87.JPG
Millennium Force towers over almost everything in the park!
88.JPG
Worth every penny.
89.JPG
Funny enough, the first thing I noticed was that this exact model of Vekoma roller skater is a clone of The Flying Unicorn/Flight of Hippogriff at Islands of Adventure. The only difference besides the train is that that coaster is higher off of the ground to enable the queue to pass underneath the track.
90.JPG
Cedar Point is apparently known for their hand cut fries... They did not disappoint!
91.JPG
I just can't look away!
92.JPG
Over in the park's museum, we spent a good deal of time just looking through all of the content around us. A model maker was actually building a fun, functional model of Steel Vengeance while we were there!
93.JPG
And here is a model of Mean Streak. Definitely neat to compare the two now that Steel Vengeance is open.
94.JPG
Blue Streak is also represented with a model in the museum.
95.JPG
This model was neat because it shows the Frontier section of the park with its original log flume. Some of the structures are still standing despite the new rides that have been added since.
96.JPG
Funny enough, the Travel Channel special about Millennium Force I watched years ago was playing in the museum.
97.JPG
I couldn't resist.
98.JPG
An automated violin!
99.JPG
The story of this massive handmade clock was astounding. There are no schematics or plans as to what was designed. Its creator made all of this from his mind's design alone and Cedar Point has restored it as far as they can without starting to guess or deviate from what the existing design indicated was next.
100.JPG
The park's arcade was once home to a massive ballroom for dance parties.
102.JPG
More on those dance parties!
101.JPG
A Tumble Bug!
103.JPG
Cedar Point's equivalent to E-Tickets?
104.JPG
They had a suspended monorail! I'm curious to learn more about this!
100.JPG
105.JPG
More delicious food in the Frontier section of the park.
106.JPG
I always love when parks have cool, live craft demonstrations like glass-blowing for guests to enjoy.
107.JPG
LLAMAS!
108.JPG
I had to get one more cheese on a stick before heading out!
109.JPG
I managed to get one ride in on Raptor before the sky opened up again and I'm so glad I did. Easily my new favorite B&M inverted coaster!
110.JPG
And thus, our trip to Cedar Point was over! I've got a more detailed writeup of my thoughts on all of the rides and attractions we experienced, coming up shortly for those that want to read it!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

great continuation of the report, Adam!

and love to see how much you enjoyed the museum too. .. .oooo I hope that working Steel Vengeance model is still there when I go in a couple of months.

ETA: and YAY for the Cedar Downs love. wOOt wOOt !!
Last edited by bert425 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 am

Amazing reports as always! =) I haven't been to Cedar Point since my first visit in 2013 when GateKeeper opened, but it's always great to get a refresher from other theme park junkies! ;)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:18 am

"Angle of Decent"...ugh

How long has that been up like that!!?

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:27 am

There are signs in the Valravn queue with a black box and revised text over the word "Descent" also. Their graphic designer seems to have an issue with that word. :lol:

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:46 am

It's refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one who has Raptor as their favorite B&M invert, love that ride and fully plan to abusive my Fastlane privileges on it in September.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Very cool! There are so many little things at CP that are so cool. Glad you got to enjoy Windseeker and Derby and all the rest. The park may be known for its coasters, but there's so much more than that to experience, and you've captured it well.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:30 am

Great report! The museum really is one of the hidden gems of Cedar Point.

Angle of decent. It'd be bad enough to make that mistake once, but multiple times? :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:50 am

You showed me two things I’m pretty sure I will buy when I visit later this season. Great Report.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!