Photo TR: Icon Launch - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Iconic by name, Iconic by Nature.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Photo TR: Icon Launch - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Postby StealthFan » Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

This Wednesday just gone the Thompson family kindly invited the press and media to Blackpool Pleasure Beach for the launch of their new £16.5 million double launched roller coaster Icon!

I want to start of and just say this is without a doubt the best media event I have ever been too in all the years I've been dong this. It was phenomenally well organised, we were all looked after to the highest standard and given all the information you could possibly need. I genuinely can't fault the park in any way for this event and think they should be just as proud of how they presented this event as the ride itself.

But not on to the ride itself as I know thats what your all waiting to hear about. To put it in simple terms this ride is easily now in the top 3 rides in the country. Im known for being a very cynical person these days and don't really expect to be impressed, but this ride blew me away repeatedly. The park didn't look at their spacial restraints as an issue they looked at them as a challenge. From the dreams of Amanda Thompson conjuring up the idea of the cherry blossom falling in the wind, to Nick Thompsons days of pacing the park to find the perfect area to put the ride, combine with Mack Rides engineering and creativity you get what can only be called Icon.

The ride wouldn't have been possible if not for modern technology. Due to the nature of the parks rides and their age they didn't have a full set of engineering documents to go by to help with the design of the ride, so Mack did the next best thing they did and 3D easily half the park so they could work with the most accurate documents. This in itself has allowed them to twist and bend the ride so beautifully in the park its like the park has been moulded for the ride and not the other way round.

I could keep going on and on about the engineering behind the ride and the ride itself but I think the honest truth is the pictures will tell a much better story than I can so here we go.

Icon_001.JPG
As soon as you arrive in Blackpool you will be sure to know all about Icon.

Icon_002.JPG
Here is our first look (from a distance) at Icon!

Icon_003.JPG
All checked in and ready to go.

Icon_004.JPG
Everyone loved some good nerdy facts.

Icon_005.JPG
How many of these do you find surprising or interesting?

Icon_006.JPG
7 years of work went into Icon!

Icon_007.JPG
The Thompson and Mack families sit down with park and coaster club representatives for a Q&A about Icon.

Icon_008.JPG
After which we were taken to the ride for our first close up look at the ride.

Icon_009.JPG
Featuring live music!

Icon_010.JPG
Everyone is ready to ride,

Icon_011.JPG
but not before the Thompson and Mack family cut the ribbon to officially open Icon!

Icon_012.JPG
Do you dare to ride?

Icon_013.JPG
Its sleek, its modern but how will it ride?

Icon_014.JPG
As you enter the station the mood changes and the tension build.

Icon_015.JPG
The music is blaring and building that tension because before you know it.

Icon_016.JPG
You are launching your way into a phenomenal experience.

Icon_017.JPG
Which is not only smooth and quiet....

Icon_018.JPG
but generates serious air time which just increases as the ride warms up.

Icon_019.JPG
The first half of the ride is great in itself but then you hit the second launch and it just keeps going!

Icon_020.JPG
The ride is also so photogenic! In the sun it just looked so good!

Icon_021.JPG

Icon_022.JPG

Icon_023.JPG

Icon_024.JPG

Icon_025.JPG
While the ride doesn't have a huge theme per say it has some beautiful touches like these posts around the ride area with the names of people who have helped the ride to become a reality on.

Icon_026.JPG
As mentioned earlier the park was 3D scanned to make the ride happen. An added bonus of this you can buy that scan with Icon on it in the shop now! Thats what you call unique merchandise!

Icon_027.JPG

Icon_028.JPG
Pleasure Beach is known for its "Iconic" photo opportunities. This ride has now created so many new ones.

Icon_029.JPG
An fantastic old classic in the background and a new fantastic attraction in the front!

Icon_030.JPG

Icon_031.JPG
For those who know me the last time you probably saw me this happy on a ride was I think Frozen Ever After!

Icon_032.JPG
GO RIDE ICON NOW! Just do it, you won't be disappointed.

I don't want to keep going on about how great I think this ride is. I will just say plain and simple head down to the park and experience it for yourself. I think this now takes the crown for the best Mack Launched coaster to date and id love to think you would too. Comment below and tell me what you think of the ride, if you want to go on it.

Icon_033.JPG
With all this being said I cant leave any trip to Blackpool without an aftermath pic of Valhalla now can I.

-Craig

I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: Photo TR: Icon Launch - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Icon looks truly fantastic! =) =) =) I'm sure the ride was great and the photos were amazing! Great report!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 am

Excellent report! Icon seems to be a stunning ride. Can't wait to ride it!
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 am

Great report! I know it has been said so many times, but I don't think Blackpool could have picked a better ride for their park. It's just...perfect!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Sun May 27, 2018 9:23 am

It's so good! :D
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon May 28, 2018 4:55 am

Looks great! I'm a big Cheetah Hunt fan, and if Icon is as good as that ride, I'm sold.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Anything » Mon May 28, 2018 9:43 am

cfc wrote:Looks great! I'm a big Cheetah Hunt fan, and if Icon is as good as that ride, I'm sold.

I only rode Cheetah Hunt last year, but it's mid-ride launches are fantastic, unfortunately Icon's do not compare in the slightest. Real shame for me!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am

Great report! I love how Icon intertwines with all the park's other rides.

As for that last photo, that brings back memories to my trip last year in 60 degree weather. I thought the ride's wetness may be dialed back but that was far from the case.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!