Lagoon Discussion Thread

P. 137 - TPR's Official Cannibal POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Lagoon Discussion Thread

Postby Jetstar2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Roller Coaster opened today! I was on the very first public train, and Taylor (from Coaster Studios) and I were lucky enough to grab the back seat! The new trains are very form fitting and comfortable (as expected from Millennium Flyers), but the coaster itself really feels no different. In terms of smoothness, speed, and airtime, it’s the exact same as the previous version.

But the whole station revamp and entrance/exit swap is much better, and I’m glad the new trains hold just as many as the old ones, so capacity is not sacrificed (unlike GhostRider). Overall two big thumbs up from me. They were running only the blue train today, but hopefully the red one will get cycled in soon as well.

I rode on the third or fourth train. If you rode in the back of the first train then linearinduction was in line in front of you and I came up and talked to him briefly 4 minutes before 4pm. I personally thought it seemed a bit slow (though I was in the second row), much smoother, noticeably more banked in a few places including the bottom of the first drop, and way more comfortable seat/restraint wise. I really liked the history stuff in the station.

I'm interested to see if Lagoon/GCI start talking about it soon, now that it's open and all.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Roller Coaster opened today! I was on the very first public train, and Taylor (from Coaster Studios) and I were lucky enough to grab the back seat! The new trains are very form fitting and comfortable (as expected from Millennium Flyers), but the coaster itself really feels no different. In terms of smoothness, speed, and airtime, it’s the exact same as the previous version.

But the whole station revamp and entrance/exit swap is much better, and I’m glad the new trains hold just as many as the old ones, so capacity is not sacrificed (unlike GhostRider). Overall two big thumbs up from me. They were running only the blue train today, but hopefully the red one will get cycled in soon as well.
I now know who you are thrillseeker4552! I was in row 9 or 10, and I experienced no airtime where it used to be on the double ups and double downs, where there used to be ejector...not even floater. I would also say the ride feels totally different. I didn't time it, but will tomorrow, as it used to be 2 minutes from Dispatch to Reduction, but felt slower. For those of us who have known this coaster from riding it for 31 years and operating it for 4 years, she definitely isn't the same. Love the new queue, exit, artwork, and station....but the MCC just seems out of place to me. The Custom GCII Trains (Management is adamant the GCI Manual doesn't refer to them as Millennium Flyers) tracked great and were comfy, lap bars and seats, but not as comfy as the Timberliners I've been on. I am hoping once the new trains are properly broken in, she will fly and deliver the airtime back to us. Glad to hear the back row didn't disappoint! These are all my opinions, of course.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am

^I can agree that there is less airtime, but I attribute that to the fact that the GCI lap bars hold you in tightly, whereas the old PTC lap bars often sat pretty far off the lap, so any airtime was more pronounced.

I was initially a little skeptical about GCI trains on this thing, but after riding three times yesterday, I'm a big fan. Those old trains were falling apart, and even if a little airtime is sacrificed, the trains are super comfortable and a more roomy and open than those old PTCs. The public also seemed to really like it from what I could tell.

As for the rest of the park, Cannibal is still totally fantastic. The more I ride it, the more I love it. The first drop is completely ridiculous, and the "Lagoon roll" is so unique and full of hang time. Colossus is also running like a dream, and even though I've never been the biggest fan of Wicked, the first half is still really solid. Excited to come here all summer!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am

With them being new trains, I somewhat expect it to get as fast as it used to be like how Stormchaser's end used to be a crawl, but now it zips through the end.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Postby linearinduction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:^I can agree that there is less airtime, but I attribute that to the fact that the GCI lap bars hold you in tightly, whereas the old PTC lap bars often sat pretty far off the lap, so any airtime was more pronounced.

I was initially a little skeptical about GCI trains on this thing, but after riding three times yesterday, I'm a big fan. Those old trains were falling apart, and even if a little airtime is sacrificed, the trains are super comfortable and a more roomy and open than those old PTCs. The public also seemed to really like it from what I could tell.

As for the rest of the park, Cannibal is still totally fantastic. The more I ride it, the more I love it. The first drop is completely ridiculous, and the "Lagoon roll" is so unique and full of hang time. Colossus is also running like a dream, and even though I've never been the biggest fan of Wicked, the first half is still really solid. Excited to come here all summer!

I had room between myself and the new GCI lap bar, really about the same as I used to have in the PTCs. However, I only rode it once and nearer the middle of the train. Today I'll get more laps and have more data to go off of. Those PTCs weren't falling apart at all. In fact, I'm 90% positive they got new chassis in the mid to late 90s. Lagoon added new lap bars and mechanisms to them exactly 10 years ago, as well as replaced the seats with more padded ones. We just won't talk about the on board lap bar monitoring system of 2009 that worked for a very short time. lol

I was never skeptical about these trains because Lagoon and it's ownership has always been about the rider experience and their actual experience on these types of trains is what sold them on them. They have proven time and time again that only when forced, do they neuter a ride (Samurai & Cliffhanger). Still would have been interesting to see what an ART Engineering Woodie Train would be like.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:34 am

linearinduction wrote:Still would have been interesting to see what an ART Engineering Woodie Train would be like.

Never say never. Lagoon could still try an in-house wooden coaster someday.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:31 pm

I went to the park again today.

Roller Coaster is still running one train, but this time the red one. Hopefully they will get both trains running soon because it really develops a long line. Luckily it moves fairly quickly due to dispatches often being only a minute or less.

Also, Samurai has finally reopened! It was testing all morning with employees and ended up opening in the late afternoon. Taylor and I got a spin on it as our last ride of the day, and I forget how crazy the cycle is compared to others I’ve ridden. It’s so much more intense (and longer) than Sol Spin! I’m glad to see it operating again.

The weather was absolutely beautiful (no clouds, sunny, 70-ish degrees), so the park was very crowded. Most rides had long lines except Colossus because that thing is a freakin’ capacity monster and eats people like no other. The single rider line on Cannibal is also fantastic. They fill every single car, every time. All parks need to do this on their coasters. It works so well and both lines move quickly.

I won’t be back for a few weeks, but overall it was a great day, and I was pleasantly surprised Samurai reopened.

Postby linearinduction » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:I went to the park again today.

Roller Coaster is still running one train, but this time the red one. Hopefully they will get both trains running soon because it really develops a long line. Luckily it moves fairly quickly due to dispatches often being only a minute or less.

Also, Samurai has finally reopened! It was testing all morning with employees and ended up opening in the late afternoon. Taylor and I got a spin on it as our last ride of the day, and I forget how crazy the cycle is compared to others I’ve ridden. It’s so much more intense (and longer) than Sol Spin! I’m glad to see it operating again.

The weather was absolutely beautiful (no clouds, sunny, 70-ish degrees), so the park was very crowded. Most rides had long lines except Colossus because that thing is a freakin’ capacity monster and eats people like no other. The single rider line on Cannibal is also fantastic. They fill every single car, every time. All parks need to do this on their coasters. It works so well and both lines move quickly.

I won’t be back for a few weeks, but overall it was a great day, and I was pleasantly surprised Samurai reopened.
Did you notice the on board lap bar position monitoring system working on Roller Coaster today? Also, in your opinion, do the lap bars on Roller Coaster seem less forgiving to larger riders than other gci trains you've ridden?

Samurai is now operating better than it has since before the gearbox failure in 2007, and I was pleasantly surprised being on the second public cycle. It was having issues finding zero during test rides, but seemed ok on our cycle, however, it didn't want to lower. Did you notice anything at the end of the day?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 am

I am not too surprised the new trains limit airtime. There was a similar effect when Ghostrider replaced its PTC's with Millennium Flyers. While Ghostrider is a vastly superior ride now compared to what it was in its later years, there has been a noticeable reduction in airtime. Back when Ghostrider had the PTC's, the MCBR drop was absolutely insane in back row. (At least back when the brakes barely engaged). Today the MCBR drop is gone, but that drop has never delivered nearly the same insanity that it used to.

My favorite wood coaster in the western US is actually Timber Terror at Silverwood. It is a very well-maintained CCI that runs with its original PTC's. It is packed with airtime and crazy laterals with no discomfort whatsoever. I would be sad to see anything modified on that ride (except for the final two airtime hills, which are a little weak compared to the rest of the ride. Everything else is perfect).

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am

linearinduction wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:I went to the park again today.

Did you notice the on board lap bar position monitoring system working on Roller Coaster today? Also, in your opinion, do the lap bars on Roller Coaster seem less forgiving to larger riders than other gci trains you've ridden?

Samurai is now operating better than it has since before the gearbox failure in 2007, and I was pleasantly surprised being on the second public cycle. It was having issues finding zero during test rides, but seemed ok on our cycle, however, it didn't want to lower. Did you notice anything at the end of the day?

I wasn't paying attention to lap bar monitoring systems, sorry.

As for accommodation, they seem to be the exact same as every other GCI in terms of forgiveness. I know they "technically" aren't Millennium Flyer trains due to track gauge and what not, but for all intents and purposes the seats and restraints look and feel identical. They feel exactly like GhostRider and Mystic Timbers' seats, just without seat belts.

And yes, Samurai definitely had some issues trying to lower itself back down. Some rides it took forever, others (like mine) it was pretty quick. It never broke down the 4-5 cycles I was in line, so it didn't seem to be a major issue that would prevent the ride from operating.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!