Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

P. 115: ICON officially opens on Friday, May 25th, 2018!
Users viewing this topic: Baffles and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am

Rill'o'beily wrote:The train does look really strange without the nose car shell

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Icon is exactly what this park needed. Their wooden coaster collection was fantastic, but they just needed an awesome steel coaster to back it up (though for non-enthusiasts, the Big One seems to satisfy that). If this is anything like Blue Fire or Helix, this will fill the void perfectly.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Top 5 Parks- Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland
Most Recent Trip Report- SeaWorld San Antonio

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Bane » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 am

Blackpool Pleasure Beach have released some further teaser footage of Icon as well as sharing some interviews to go with it;

It's going to be the best coaster in the UK for sure.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Moley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 am

Bane wrote:It's going to be the best coaster in the UK for sure.

I didn't realise knocking down Nemesis was part of this ride's opening. ;)

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby TM3988 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 pm

I've personally never been a fan of Blackpool's design style and aesthetic, but this ride does look like a lot of fun. Definitely going to draw in the crowds that's for sure!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:55 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Rill'o'beily wrote:The train does look really strange without the nose car shell

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Icon is exactly what this park needed. Their wooden coaster collection was fantastic, but they just needed an awesome steel coaster to back it up (though for non-enthusiasts, the Big One seems to satisfy that). If this is anything like Blue Fire or Helix, this will fill the void perfectly.

I cannot agree more. As much fun as the unique rides were on my visit last year, the coaster collection did leave me a bit sore at the end of the day. It's all older wooden coasters or Infusion/Big One which are about as rough as steel gets. Icon is the re-ridable, smooth, megacoaster that fills a big hole in the lineup and I think the park completely nailed this.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby JordyC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:52 am

The news is out! The official opening date of ICON will be 25/05/2018!

30739855_10156286114082365_5921762570591762217_n.jpg

Source
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 173 || Parks: 34

Walibi Belgium || Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Python 2.0 || Phantasialand || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has sent us a press release announcing the grand opening date for ICON!

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has today announced the official opening date of its hotly anticipated new rollercoaster – ICON, as Friday 25th May.

Since work on the new £16.25m rollercoaster commenced in December 2016, rollercoaster fans worldwide have been clamouring for news of when they’ll be able to experience the exciting new ride.

Now bosses have confirmed that the wait is almost over with the world’s most interactive rollercoaster ready to ride in just over a month’s time.

Speaking on the impending launch, Blackpool Pleasure Beach Managing Director Amanda Thompson OBE, said: “We’ve been overwhelmed with calls and e-mails from people all over the world wanting to know when ICON will open to the public.

"I’m so excited to be able to answer and confirm 25th May! We can’t wait to invite those who dare to ride to Blackpool to experience this truly incredible ride. ICON promises to set hearts racing.”

Nick Thompson, Deputy MD of Blackpool Pleasure Beach added: “The launch of ICON is an extremely exciting day for our industry, both in the UK and beyond. We couldn’t be more pleased to see and experience it here in the UK and to showcase another world first at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.”

Upon opening ICON will be the UK’s first ever double-launch rollercoaster, propelling riders at speeds of up to 85 kilometres per hour during an intense, jaw-dropping two and a half minutes of thrills and spills. The two powerful thrusts of acceleration can only be likened to that felt by Formula 1 drivers.

Over the last 16 months, over 100,000 hours of manpower have been invested in the build, with thousands of tonnes of steel shipped from Germany. The dazzling carriages, which see riders in an open seat on top of the ride with arms and legs free, arrived at the much-loved amusement park in March, and can already be seen firing around the high-shine track in preparation for the launch.
ICON Dare to Ride.jpg
ICON soars through the lift hill of the famous Big One rollercoaster.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Condor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm getting more and more optimistic about this one. Blue Fire was a bit mild for my tastes but I still really enjoyed it. Icon should at minimum make up for the loss of the Wild Mouse.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Condor wrote:Icon should at minimum make up for the loss of the Wild Mouse.

That's what I'm going to keep telling myself...
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:
Condor wrote:Icon should at minimum make up for the loss of the Wild Mouse.

That's what I'm going to keep telling myself...

And Infusion.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!