TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I'd personally like to see something like a Mack Rides coaster or even a new Intamin. I love B&M, but it seems like there are a ton of the in the US. If parks aren't building B&M's it's either some variation of RMC of GCI. I'm not complaining, but I'd prefer to see some kind of variation. And yes, I know Mack just built a new spinner. At least that's a start, I guess.

I don't see a Gerstauer happening, since Thunderbolt already seems like their token compact short train roller coaster. Then again, I could be completely off base with my entire sentiment.

Agreed! I really want to see something along the lines of Helix in the U.S.A.

I don't see a Gerstauer happening, since Thunderbolt already seems like their token compact short train roller coaster. Then again, I could be completely off base with my entire sentiment.

you mean SkyRocket, right?

(since Thunderbolt is a fun woodie)

Hah. Yeah, totally meant Sky Rocket.

I'm getting tired of everything having to be RMC, anymore.

I'm getting tired of everything having to be RMC, anymore.

Yeah man, RMC is getting so stale. Why don't they try building coasters that aren't top 10 for once?..

IMO, a Topper Track RMC (ala Lightning Rod or Wildfire) would be perfect in Kennywood's lineup. Kennywood essentially pioneered the terrain-based wooden coasters with Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt in the 1920's. It would be so incredible to see RMC create a modern take on KW's classics and complement the parks rich coaster history. Especially if they're able to use that huge valley that was recently purchased.

Why put in an RMC when your biggest competitor is about to open the biggest RMC hybrid in existence, even if that RMC would be a ground up installation? And don't say that Kennywood is not competing with Cedar Point because they are.

I would like to see Kennywood add something that the region doesn't currently have or something that the park currently is missing from their lineup.

And don't say that Kennywood is not competing with Cedar Point because they are.

Geographically, sure. Demographically? Nah. Cedar Point is a destination resort. Kennywood is a classic amusement park.

People make trips specifically for Cedar Point. People don't make trips specifically for Kennywood, they make trips to Pittsburgh, which Kennywood may or may not be a part of. Kennywood is right in the thick of a whole bunch of Pittsburgh suburbs, and within easy driving distance of the entire region. Kennywood doesn't get anywhere as many guests as Cedar Point does but I would not be surprised if their annual passholders visit more times a year than Cedar Point's do. No offense to anyone that lives there, but when was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm going to take a vacation to Sandusky"?

Kennywood does not, nor will it ever, need something like Steel Vengeance to continue to sustain itself, no matter how much our kind of people cry out in anguish over the fact that their region doesn't have a Rocky Mountain Construction coaster. Kennywood has a niche, and they play it better than almost everyone else in the United States. I've been to some really crummy "classic" style parks, and each time I went to one, I was reminded of just how good Kennywood and Knoebels really are.

I'm no Pittsburgh expert, but my wife is from near Greensburg-ish, like an hour east of Pittsburgh. Her mom won't even drive to Pittsburgh, let alone leave the state. Everyone she knows goes East to the beach for vacation once a year. Anybody I've ever met who lived in Pittsburgh incessantly talks about how converting Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge was the biggest mistake in American history. Her immediate family gives me crap every time I mention another park in PA - "Why wouldn't you just go to Kennywood??" And her best friends from home only recently expressed an interest in making their first ever "weekend trip" to Cedar Point because we've continually brought it up. They'd never heard of anyone going to Eerie, let alone leaving the state for something to do. So I'm not sure I buy the whole overlapping demographic thing either.

Anybody I've ever met who lived in Pittsburgh incessantly talks about how converting Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge was the biggest mistake in American history.

This corroborates some random things I remember reading in the past. I've got a weird feeling they may enlist Vekoma to make a custom layout of one of their new loopers, perhaps on a large scale. With the recent ownership buyout at Vekoma, there may be a chance they can offer them at a slightly lower price in order to give the new models a foot in the door of the North American market, and the Kennywood base would likely eat it up exactly because of any lingering animosity. A smooth mega looper makes a lot of sense in that regard.

Anybody I've ever met who lived in Pittsburgh incessantly talks about how converting Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge was the biggest mistake in American history.

This corroborates some random things I remember reading in the past. I've got a weird feeling they may enlist Vekoma to make a custom layout of one of their new loopers, perhaps on a large scale. With the recent ownership buyout at Vekoma, there may be a chance they can offer them at a slightly lower price in order to give the new models a foot in the door of the North American market, and the Kennywood base would likely eat it up exactly because of any lingering animosity of the Steel Phantom conversion. A smooth mega looper makes a lot of sense in that regard.

I would love to see one of Vekoma’s new coastees here.

I would like to see Kennywood add something that the region doesn't currently have or something that the park currently is missing from their lineup.

I agree with these statements. It would be exciting to see something decent pulled off by one of the underdogs.

I like the idea of a Vekoma terrain looper coming to Kennywood.

It was mentioned before, Vekoma could do it at a lower price as well to launch their new product line in the United States.

Kennywood is an awesome park, a looper is one thing they lack and this could fill that void perfectly.

And don't say that Kennywood is not competing with Cedar Point because they are.

Geographically, sure. Demographically? Nah. Cedar Point is a destination resort. Kennywood is a classic amusement park.

People make trips specifically for Cedar Point. People don't make trips specifically for Kennywood, they make trips to Pittsburgh, which Kennywood may or may not be a part of. Kennywood is right in the thick of a whole bunch of Pittsburgh suburbs, and within easy driving distance of the entire region. Kennywood doesn't get anywhere as many guests as Cedar Point does but I would not be surprised if their annual passholders visit more times a year than Cedar Point's do. No offense to anyone that lives there, but when was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm going to take a vacation to Sandusky"?

Kennywood does not, nor will it ever, need something like Steel Vengeance to continue to sustain itself, no matter how much our kind of people cry out in anguish over the fact that their region doesn't have a Rocky Mountain Construction coaster. Kennywood has a niche, and they play it better than almost everyone else in the United States. I've been to some really crummy "classic" style parks, and each time I went to one, I was reminded of just how good Kennywood and Knoebels really are.

Kennywood also has many nationality days, and school/work picnic days during the summer. Tickets are cheap through those means, and school/work gives everyone the day off to go. Most locals go to Kennywood every year regardless of wherever else they go in the summer, simply because it's tradition. Pretty much every one I knew growing up would do their annual Kennywood day, in addition to whatever other summer vacation they had planned. It was never one or the other.

I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life, and have honestly never heard anyone say that. Everyone I know who's ridden the original, hated it.

To me, new attractions at Kennywood are just like new attractions at SDC - they're an added bonus. The park is already so unique and so great with what's currently being offered I'd be happy with just about any new 'big' coaster.

That's exactly how I feel. They have the epic hyper coaster, an awesome wooden coaster collection, a nice launched coaster, and one of the best non-coaster attractions. I'm excited to see what eventually fills this spot. The terrain could lead to some exciting possibilities.

As a person who would not like another vekoma in Pennsylvania: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mouse_(Idlewild) I would prefer one of the newer manufacturers to build the upcoming coaster.

This might be one of the most short-sighted posts I've ever read. Archiving this one.

Have you seen what Vekoma has built in the last few years, and what they have lined up for the next? I would absolutely love to see Vekoma take the family suspended coaster and do a terrain layout (a la discount Eagle Fortress) in the ravine with Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt. That would be great, and if they did it with one of their wacky new looping coasters it would be even better. Vekoma has always been a volume player with their boomerangs, suspended looping coasters, and junior coasters, but they've been stepping up their game in terms of layout design in the past few years. Lech Coaster is on my bucket list.

EDIT: Have you not SEEN this thing? It looks crazy awesome!

As a person who would not like another vekoma in Pennsylvania: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mouse_(Idlewild) I would prefer one of the newer manufacturers to build the upcoming coaster.

This might be one of the most short-sighted posts I've ever read. Archiving this one.

Have you seen what Vekoma has built in the last few years, and what they have lined up for the next? I would absolutely love to see Vekoma take the family suspended coaster and do a terrain layout (a la discount Eagle Fortress) in the ravine with Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt. That would be great, and if they did it with one of their wacky new looping coasters it would be even better. Vekoma has always been a volume player with their boomerangs, suspended looping coasters, and junior coasters, but they've been stepping up their game in terms of layout design in the past few years. Lech Coaster is on my bucket list.

Ever since I first saw what new Vekoma has been doing in Europe and Asia, I've been dreaming of one of those masterpieces being brought overseas to North America. If Vekoma continues it's winning streak and builds more and more of these insane new-generation coasters, they could seriously compete with RMC, Intamin, and the others for the title of best manufacturer! Even if they don't quite reach that level, they definitely win the "most improved player" award.