TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

sooo who wants to start a betting pool on when Hurler closes for the RMC treatment?

It might be a few years, if at all. Carowinds Hurler isn't that bad; not that great either. Honestly it's a snoozefest from what it once was IMO.

For 2019 [Project alpha]:

There are already markers and drilling in the station area where Thunder Road was and the former Sand Dune Lagoon. There are pictures out there showing this, but from another forum site, so I won't share them here.

sooo who wants to start a betting pool on when Hurler closes for the RMC treatment?

It might be a few years, if at all. Carowinds Hurler isn't that bad; not that great either. Honestly it's a snoozefest from what it once was IMO.

There are already markers and drilling in the station area where Thunder Road was and the former Sand Dune Lagoon. There are pictures out there showing this, but from another forum site, so I won't share them here.

Interesting.

Share them. Afterall, we're just one big community anyway

From RIGHT HERE

nZijsP4.jpg

ceByIfr.jpg

And as far as the flyers coming back this year . . . its a 50/50 chance of it happening

Nah, i'm not thinking this is water park related at all. In a year when its a water park attraction, they generally start construction like in january of the opening year. This is bigger than a water park expansion as permits for "project alpha" have been submitted. While it appears the often empty wadding pool is getting the axe for this 2019 attraction, this seems very coaster related.

I can't shake this gut feeling of B&M Dive Machine. With such a prominent position in the center of the skyline right there? I have nothing to base this on other than my subjective opinion of a DM looking fantastic right in that spot.

The only thing that puzzles me is that they kept the old white water falls building but it appears they are working on a station in the old thunder road spot. It was said the new county fair was to go there as there were lots of spray paint and markers in the area. Its a little confusing but its for sure going on the SC side of the park.

Seems to be a silt fence surrounding the construction area and Bumper cars look to be remaining (for now). I suppose they could relocate them at the end of the season during weekend only operations however even if they stay in that spot, the area in question looks to be around 4 acres in size which would still be plenty of room for whatever is coming.

Does Intimidator still sell souvenirs? Cause Kings Dominion's Intimidator show has been replaced with fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo

Was at the park last week, yes, you still exit through a gift shop.

Unrelated, but Fury was having some real trouble when we were there (the 5th and again on the 8th)

On the 5th it didn't open with the park, and opened about 45 minutes late. It was also down when we went to leave around 4PM, and only ran 2 trains the entire day. On the 8th Fury was down again, we actually spoke to the Live Entertainment manager (Knew him from working at Dorney) and he said "Yeah Fury needs 40F weather to open, it's about 48 so I don't know what they're doing."

We went to get in line for Hurler on the 8th and saw Fury cycling, so we queued up hoping to sneak in a ride before we headed back north. Just under an hour standing in line outside the queue, with Fury doing nothing but cycling empty trains the entire time, we decided to leave when we saw them transfer a train off (It was only running 2 to begin with )

I understand it was early season, but damn. Fury being down and operations being molasses slow? Not a very enjoyable experience.

Running 2 trains on a Thursday in April sounds pretty sensible to me.

Cycling a hilariously ridiculous number of empty trains (sometimes for an hour plus) before opening the ride on any day where it's even remotely cold-ish is just a Carowinds thing. It's how they roll. I've never seen any other park cycle as many trains before they open a ride as they do.

It's that time of year again, and it looks like I'll be visiting on the same weekend I did last year. This time I'll have more than 2 hours in the park, but I have a feeling I'll be sticking with Fury and Afterburn re-rides all day.

Naw, I think I'm going to try and check out the waterpark. I haven't had the opportunity to ride one of the 'wall' slides nor have I been on the rapids ride. I know I'll be back at Carowinds later this year, so I think this visit I'll check out some of the rides I haven't been on in years.

Oh and I guess I need that boomerang credit still..

At long last! I return to ride my favorite coaster (for at least another couple of weeks! ) Fury tomorrow! Bringing my kids for their first time at the park as well! Weather looks beautiful, and I should be able to get a night ride in this time! Here's hoping everything goes smoothly!

Does anybody know whether you actually CAN get your guests in for the early ride time if you're a Passholder? I know it says you can't on the site, but you've always been able to at CP, so it'd be strange if it was a Carowinds exclusive restriction...

Does anybody know whether you actually CAN get your guests in for the early ride time if you're a Passholder? I know it says you can't on the site, but you've always been able to at CP,

Hey, hold on a sec... I have NEVER been able to get guests in for early ride time at CP...

Did you guys see this? Cedar Fair filed this in the US. My first thought was Carowinds!

h47lva5o2vr01.png

Here's a map of the Copperhead region:

Cedar Fair parks within this range:

-Carowinds (Hmmm)

-Kings Dominion (Not likely for 2019)

-Dorney Park (lol)

-World's of Fun (just made it, but already has snake-themed Mamba)

-Kings Island (barely on the edge?)

Maybe the region doesn't matter, there's certainly no Diamond Back Rattlers in Ohio.

Considering how Cedar Fair seems to actually want to get back to a Carolinas theme for Carowinds, a copperhead theme makes a lot of sense. The name "Copperhead Strike" does feel a bit awkward, though.

I agree. I feel like a lot of the ride names that CF and SF have been going with lately feel quite awkward. I guess its just a corporate thing.

a GCI at this park would be perfect.

My thoughts exactly!

It would be interesting to see a racing GCI in a sort of Thunder Road tribute, but I know that is some far fetched speculation.