TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^Good to know it's not just me haha.

That is a good point about the contact area being so narrow. If that contact point was a couple inches closer to my waist and further from my knees I think it would be way better. But where it lies right now is pretty close to halfway between my waist and knees and it feels like its trying to rip my upper leg in half everytime I leave the seat, which is pretty much the entire ride.

I think the minimal contact point adds to the intensity of the ride. I'm about 5'10", 165 pounds. The restraints are tight, but I have no issue for one ride. I will start to feel it after 4-5 rerides in a row if the crowds are light enough such that I don't have to leave the train.

I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints. I mean apparently you have one kick ass ride that's almost intolerable for a lot of people to ride. If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it. Do you hear the typical groans on the brake run as other uncomfortable coasters?

I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints.

They have. They added extra padding and implemented a slight hydraulic release on the brake run.

If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it.

Little known fact: Enthusiasts are almost ALWAYS bigger complainers than the GP and are pretty wimpy when it comes to "comfort."

^Yeah, I guess that second part is true. Seems like your average person isn't desirous of marathoning rides, either. I have a few friends and their families who were perfectly content with riding everything at Cedar Point one time.

I know about the padding, I just question its effectiveness. I guess the bottom line is that I'll have to wait until July to truly form an opinion, but I was trying to get a feel in advance.

As far as the middle and wing seats go, do you get to queue up separate for either one, as opposed to queueing up as a traditional four across? For example, Diamondback/Intimidator vs. Fury/Apollo's Chariot.

Edited by prozach626

As far as the middle and wing seats go, do you get to queue up separate for either one, as opposed to queueing up as a traditional four across? For example, Diamondback/Intimidator vs. Fury/Apollo's Chariot.

It's all the same queue but the rows are large and you enter from the left side of the train so if you took the two seats on the left side of the train the other 2 people behind you can still take the right 2 seats and don't have to climb over you or anything.

I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints.

They have. They added extra padding and implemented a slight hydraulic release on the brake run.

If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it.

Little known fact: Enthusiasts are almost ALWAYS bigger complainers than the GP and are pretty wimpy when it comes to "comfort."

Eh, I usually go to the park with my brother who hates the thing even more than I do. We can ride Wildcat all day too. You won't hear us complaining about SLCs or Boomerangs. As I have said I love i305 and El Toro, so it has nothing to do with intensity. But Skyrush is pure pain. So I do think it's valid to wonder why the park hasn't done a little bit more to prevent this issue.

But Skyrush is pure pain.

ok.

Have you ever tried T3, by chance? That coaster destroyed my thighs way more than Skyrush ever did.

No I haven't. The only SLCs I've ridden were at SFA, SFNE, and SFDK. They beat you up a little but it isn't the unrelenting pain to one part of my body the entire time like I feel on Skyrush.

Can't wait to ride it to judge for myself. Is it just pain tolerance or body shape or height or what? That seems to be a lost detail "hey this ride's restraints suck."

I think it's probably a combination of body shape/where the restraints rest on your thighs and how much fat/muscle you have to cushion your thighs. Or I'm just a pussy and it's pain tolerance haha.

I'm a complete wimp where pain is concerned. Now, I'm only 5'2" so that may make a huge difference in where the restraint rests on my thighs. I haven't experienced pain as much as cutting off circulation in my legs. Once the restraints pop on the brake run I'm good. I also don't normally go for being stapled into a seat but on this one I will tell the ops to go ahead and push in another click or two. I also don't normally have physical reactions to coasters but after my first ride, I literally had to sit down because the adrenaline was out of control.

Out the nine times I've ridden Skyrush I've only experienced the extreme thigh pain one time, and that was on one of my three rear left death-seat rides. It certainly isn't an every time occurrence for me and I don't have the foggiest clue as to why.

Yeah, I think it's a combination of the two. I probably wouldn't say I have the highest pain tolerance, but I'm usually fine with intensity. At least when I attempt ("attempt" being the keyword here) to marathon I305, I don't recall grabbing my legs or anything else in pain afterwards. I like a ride that pushes the envelope, but as a general rule of mine, any coaster that feels more like torture than fun is generally not looking at a good write-up.

It's like what prospekt88 said, I really WANT to like Skyrush, but Skyrush won't let me like Skyrush.

^If you're nervous about the pain factor, then yea, stick to the middle of the middle rows. That'll help you gauge whether or not you want to dial it up a notch on the re-rides with wing seats or with front / back row seats.

I'm bummed out that the center seats aren't in separate loading gates from the wing seats. We're not going to be the two people who sit in the middle seats while the other two people boarding with us have to be split up. That will leave me to endure the wing while Emily rides in the middle.

I'm bummed out that the center seats aren't in separate loading gates from the wing seats. We're not going to be the two people who sit in the middle seats while the other two people boarding with us have to be split up. That will leave me to endure the wing while Emily rides in the middle.

All you have to do is ask, most people seem to prefer the wing seats. I think you're really overthinking this Skyrush thing.

Also, the wing seats aren't the end of the world. You should probably try them at least once.

Its an amazing ride, in my top 3, you have a 50/50 chance of loving the sh*t out of it. The worst thing that is going to happen is you ride it, get sore thighs, come on here and whine about it, and we all call you a p*ssy.

That is what I did with Michael taking the inside. I actually asked to see if the people boarding with us wanted wings, but it was a Dad and his young son and the kid wanted inside, so I took the wing.

While I have only ridden Skyrush twice, I enjoyed it much more on the second ride than I did the first. Similar to I-305, once you know what's coming, it's a little easier to brace for some of those really tight, crazy-ass transitions. As others have mentioned though, I would have no problem whatsoever with different restraints that could make the ride more comfortable (ala Maverick and I-305).

That and once you have ridden it a few times and know that it isn't going to launch you face first into the creek below at 100 MPH, it's all good.

and we all call you a p*ssy.

You won't have to. If it's too much for me I'll end up calling myself a p*ssy!

Worst case scenario Emily or I won't like it, but there seems to be plenty of other great offerings. I really enjoy hypers, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Its not like any other hyper I've ridden so set your expectations accordingly. Its a great park and its just one ride - almost all of their other coasters are awesome and its my favorite park. You'll have a great day. Worse care scenario you get sore thighs and/or you swear off the ride ever again. The park is still fantastic and you should be excited, not worried about one ride.

This is exactly what my daughter and I do. We will ask the people grouped with us if they mind. 9 times out of 10 they don't and if one of them does mind I will ride the wing.

^^ Agreed.

Hershey has such a great balance of coasters & rides, that even if Skyrush isn't your thing, you will still love the hell out of the other great coasters that they have there (Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Lightning Racer, Comet, etc).

Can't wait to get back to this park!

I agree with everything that has been said about Hershey. Skyrush is absolutely ridiculous (in the best way possible), but even if you end up disliking it, the park has so many other fantastic coasters, particularly Fahrenheit. That ride is by far one of the most underrated coasters I've ridden. It and Storm Runner are both great rides.

Last time I went to Hershey was 2010 and I need to get back so bad for some Skyrush action as I'm sure it's gonna end up in my top 5 if not that top 10. I love the everlasting sh*t out of Storm Runner. That part where you go up a hill then directly into a heartline roll is one of my favorite elements on any roller coaster. It's wild to go up a hill like that, get airtime and then subsequently start spinning around the track. Absolutely insane. Lightning Racer is the coaster that really started my coaster enthusiasm and still certainly holds up for me today. Oh and Fahrenheit and Great Bear are fun.