TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

The park was surprisingly empty today (compared to Easter Sunday the past few years where it got somewhat crowded in the afternoon), everything except Laff Trakk was 10 minutes or less and a lot of coasters were running 2 trains even with the low crowds. Rides that were only running 1 train like Wildcat and Storm Runner had the 2nd train on the transfer track or other loading area so it looks like they should be able to run the 2nd trains if they have the staffing and crowd levels need the 2nd trains. All coasters were running except Trailblazer and most flat rides were open. It was also nice to not have rows assigned at Fahrenheit and being able to wait for whatever row you wanted.

Breakers Edge looks like it is going to be a really great attraction.

sooperdooperlooper's queue was changed where Fast Track now is at the entrance and the main lines doesn't go under and around the station anymore. The beginning of the queue has just switchbacks instead of those diagonal sections of path.

I was there yesterday as well, decided not to get a season pass just because I don't think I can make it there enough but had a blast at the park. Trailblazer was open for a bit cause I was able to get on it.

Finally got to ride the back left seat on Skyrush that everyone here always talks about and holy hell it didn't disappoint. I managed to keep my hands up the entire ride but I can't believe I didn't end up getting thrown from the ride lol It's crazy how much fun that type of insane ride can be.

Like Yoshi above said everything was virtually a walk all on. Laff Trakk was my longest wait too and that was my first time on it, really fun ride.

Also new for me were the drop towers, only did Hersheys and Reeses but they were both a ton of fun. Came completely out of my seat at the top of the Reeses tower twice and wasn't expecting that lol

Also watched the seal show which was fantastic and made me wish great adventure still had the animal shows. They said they will have sea lions as well at some point in the summer season. Watched the magic show too and he was ok, I'd say about half the act was really interesting.

We grabbed one of those King size shacks, so worth the money for what it was, we had the springtime in the park one so it was a cupcake and a cake pop that looked like a bee. So good.

Just an awesome day in the park and I honestly can't think of 1 complaint that I have other then I wish the park was closer so I could go more often. I hadn't been to the park since 2014 and have been debating getting a season pass but it's just far enough that it makes 1 day trips more of a hassle.

Finally got to ride the back left seat on Skyrush that everyone here always talks about and holy hell it didn't disappoint. I managed to keep my hands up the entire ride but I can't believe I didn't end up getting thrown from the ride lol It's crazy how much fun that type of insane ride can be.

Wait, what? The back left seat? Are your legs still attached?

I went on Saturday, got on Skyrush a second time (and coincidentally rode in the back left), and NEVER before had a coaster left me in such pain. It's two days later, and my thighs STILL hurt. This is coming from a guy who's conquered Son of Beast, Grizzly, and Rolling Thunder.

Anyway, at least you enjoyed it and it sounds like yesterday was a good day to go. Saturday seemed like it was pretty crowded. My first wait for Skyrush was around an hour, and Great Bear and Storm Runner were around half and hour. Not awful, I guess, but still...

Oh, and if the Fahrenheit ride operator keeps making sound effects, I'm waterboarding him with liquefied chocolate until his sanity gives way.

*sigh*

Alright, fine fine... don't want to be a Negative Nancy, so I'll say Great Bear, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit are still really good fun and made the visit worthwhile.

Wait, what? The back left seat? Are your legs still attached?

I went on Saturday, got on Skyrush a second time (and coincidentally rode in the back left), and NEVER before had a coaster left me in such pain. It's two days later, and my thighs STILL hurt. This is coming from a guy who's conquered Son of Beast, Grizzly, and Rolling Thunder.

Anyway, at least you enjoyed it and it sounds like yesterday was a good day to go. Saturday seemed like it was pretty crowded. My first wait for Skyrush was around an hour, and Great Bear and Storm Runner were around half and hour. Not awful, I guess, but still...

Oh, and if the Fahrenheit ride operator keeps making sound effects, I'm waterboarding him with liquefied chocolate until his sanity gives way.

*sigh*

Alright, fine fine... don't want to be a Negative Nancy, so I'll say Great Bear, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit are still really good fun and made the visit worthwhile.

I always hear people complaining about the restraints but they don't bother me at all. I got 4 rides in and could have gotten way more but wasn't looking to marathon anything but my legs don't hurt at all lol

It was an awesome day to go, everything was a walk on or a station wait or two unless you were waiting for front row.

Fahrenheit operator wasn't making any sounds when I was there.

I love that ride so much, and that back left seat is something else. I felt it the next day, but so worth it.

Just an awesome day in the park and I honestly can't think of 1 complaint that I have other then I wish the park was closer so I could go more often.

Truth.

I apologize, because I know it's been a topic of conversation before, but I'm curious what the body types are for the members above who have differing opinions of the comfort level of Skyrush. I'm a medium frame slim guy with a little gym/running/cardio muscle on my legs. Emily is the same.

Is Skyrush more comfortable for slim guys or dies it jive better with guys who have a little more meat? I'm really apprehensive about Skyrush with the mixed reviews. Emily love and I love B&M hypers for their re-reideability and we just had a conversation last night where she vowed I305 to be awesome for exclusively one ride per visit... I was tapped out at 4-5. Don't misinterpret these comments are dislike toward Intamin, since we love MF and Maverick.

I am a stick but I have strong legs. I rode Skyrush opening day 2012, when they still had the harder padding, and the faster lift, and without the pop-open at the end, and I was not sore afterward. I rode again later in the day.

Last time I rode was in 2014. The softer padding helped a little bit, but with the added caveat that I could feel the actual bar through the padding.

I can deal with a little tight restraints, but what freaked me out on T3 is sitting on the brake run. The restraints felt very uncomfortable, but in those situations I just worry about getting stuck on the brake runs, despite the odds. I used to think the same thing while feeling sick face down on Flyers. I'm looking forward to Skyrush and I just hope I'm not one of the people in the camp of saying I'll never want to ride it again. Emily has a lower tolerance to this kind of stuff than I do, so I also have a heightened worry that she won't want to ride Skyrush. I don't like riding alone so it's important to me that she also enjoys the rides.

I apologize, because I know it's been a topic of conversation before, but I'm curious what the body types are for the members above who have differing opinions of the comfort level of Skyrush. I'm a medium frame slim guy with a little gym/running/cardio muscle on my legs. Emily is the same.

Is Skyrush more comfortable for slim guys or dies it jive better with guys who have a little more meat? I'm really apprehensive about Skyrush with the mixed reviews. Emily love and I love B&M hypers for their re-reideability and we just had a conversation last night where she vowed I305 to be awesome for exclusively one ride per visit... I was tapped out at 4-5. Don't misinterpret these comments are dislike toward Intamin, since we love MF and Maverick.

I'm a skinnier guy myself and I didn't have a problem getting near 10 rides on Skyrush in a day. Compared to I305 it's still a crazy intense coaster but it's not necessarily as "draining" as I305 is, at least to me. The only real issue I had with leg pain was on the final brake run waiting for the train in the station to dispatch, and even then it was really a non-issue.

I can deal with a little tight restraints, but what freaked me out on T3 is sitting on the brake run. The restraints felt very uncomfortable, but in those situations I just worry about getting stuck on the brake runs, despite the odds.

Oh dude if you can handle one ride on T3 Skyrush will be a cake walk. Waiting on the brake run of T3 is probably the most painful moment of any coaster I've ridden, feeling the circulation get cut from your legs is near agonizing lol. F*** T3.

Edited by X2coasterfreak

I got meaty ass thighs and I love every second of Skyrush. The only time its bothered me was riding repeatedly (like 7 times) one day a few years back. Just a ride or two? Not at all.

My advice to all that are hesitant to ride Skyrush is as follows: ride in the front and center seats for the most controlled ride - you can see whats coming and you're not on the wing. The further back in the train the more insane it is - the back left is the death seat. I think you should take a ride just to say you did it but it might turn you off to the thing forever. It's absolutely wild back there. I've come to appreciate the front of Skyrush much more. Its very forceful but it rides very different than it does in the back rows.

Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

As far as the tightness of the restraints, they always pop open a couple inches when you hit the brake run.

Regardless of your hesitation, you gotta do it. You really gonna go all the way to Hershey and not ride one of the best and most polarizing coasters anywhere?

Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

So true, ah man this makes me miss Skyrush so much. I love it when a coaster can make me lose control of my body, and Skyrush is really good at doing that. The quick transitions between extreme negative and extreme positive forces can throw you around like a rag doll in the best way possible, especially on that Stengel Dive. This is a coaster that can not be missed on a trip to Hershey, it's seriously world class.

Skyrush is my #1 and I liken it to lifting weights. I wouldn't call myself jacked or anything, but I lift heavy about 4 times per week plus cardio and sometimes you just have to endure a little pain and discomfort if you want the flood of endorphins and the results that follow. Skyrush is the same way. It makes you earn it. That won't be for everybody and that's fine.

I got meaty A$$ thighs and I love every second of Skyrush. The only time its bothered me was riding repeatedly (like 7 times) one day a few years back. Just a ride or two? Not at all.

My advice to all that are hesitant to ride Skyrush is as follows: ride in the front and center seats for the most controlled ride - you can see whats coming and you're not on the wing. The further back in the train the more insane it is - the back left is the death seat. I think you should take a ride just to say you did it but it might turn you off to the thing forever. It's absolutely wild back there. I've come to appreciate the front of Skyrush much more. Its very forceful but it rides very different than it does in the back rows.

As far as the tightness of the restraints, they always pop open a couple inches when you hit the brake run.

Regardless of your hesitation, you gotta do it. You really gonna go all the way to Hershey and not ride one of the best and most polarizing coasters anywhere?

I am an average height and build (5'10", 180lbs) and didn't have an issue with the Skyrush restraints. They are tight for sure, but I wouldn't call them painful. As Boldikus stated above, they release a little in the brake run and that was the only time I ever noticed how tight they were. Also, this is not a hands in the air type ride. And I am totally a hands in the air guy, but not on Skyrush. I love sitting in the rear wing seats and hanging on for dear life. It's the only coaster I've ever ridden where I felt like i was going to get thrown off the ride. It's defintely something you have to experience for youself as words don't do it justice. (That's me in the red shirt below.)

Picture-hpsk-20150618-0001553.thumb.jpg.046a154fa18fde568e5c7a80bbd68004.jpg

I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time. I don't think comparing it to i305 is fair because for me with Skyrush it's not the intensity that's the problem, it's purely the restraints digging into my thighs. If you put i305's restraints on Skyrush I'd have no problem with the ride at all. I really want to love the ride, and everything else about Hershey is amazing, but I can't. I still give it at least one chance in a different seat each visit but haven't found one that's even remotely enjoyable.

I'd say I'm about the same as you so I think you'll be just fine.. ... And that's funny because my gf can't do i305 more than once either and I can do it a couple times. That ride kicks my ass after a few rides, idk if it's just because I'm getting older or maybe the combination of the heat since it's usually hot there but I definitely can't marathon it. We both love MF and I definitely love maverick more than she does though she'll still go on that one a lot.

See this is what was my main purpose of going back to Hershey was for because I kept reading everyone here talking about it lol when I went in 2014 I couldn't remember if I kept my hands up or not but I knew I definitely didn't sit in the last row on the left but I went yesterday and rode it hands up and legs out and it was the most bat shit insane experience I've ever had on a coaster and I loved every second of it. I totally thought I was going to end up in the water below at some point haha

I definitely recommend giving it a shot at least once, it definitely took me a bit of will power not to grab the bars cause I thought I was done for haha

Edited by Satans Hockey

and that's why I hated it.

I ride coasters for fun, not to feel like I'm going to die.

(and yeah, I was on a back wing seat).

I will give it another try later this summer when i go back to Hershey, but will NOT be towards the back, and will NOT be in a wing seat. But I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It was probably poor wording on my part, because there is no way in Hell I won't give the ride a try or three as long as it's open. I just hope that I enjoy it.

... And that's funny because my gf can't do i305 more than once either and I can do it a couple times. That ride kicks my A$$ after a few rides, idk if it's just because I'm getting older or maybe the combination of the heat since it's usually hot there but I definitely can't marathon it.

Right there with you, bro. I305 is an insane ride and very fun, but it almost leaves you with a drained/hangover feel when you ride it a few times.

Edited by prozach626

I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time. I don't think comparing it to i305 is fair because for me with Skyrush it's not the intensity that's the problem, it's purely the restraints digging into my thighs. If you put i305's restraints on Skyrush I'd have no problem with the ride at all. I really want to love the ride, and everything else about Hershey is amazing, but I can't. I still give it at least one chance in a different seat each visit but haven't found one that's even remotely enjoyable.

Geez... if I took my Flintstone vitamins and tossed a few weights around more often, I'd swear you and I were twins. I'm a scrawny puke at 6'0" 170 lbs, also play hockey, and would also find Skyrush enjoyable if it weren't for the bloody damned restraints. The problem is that the contact area is so narrow compared to the likes of say the clamshells found on B&M hypers. Even the restraints found on Maverick and I305 would be an improvement.

(Man, Skyrush and I305... say what you will about Intamin, but they know a thing or two about building coasters that are frickin' muhvuggas.)

And yeah, I still ride Skyrush at least once when I get a chance to get to the park, but I'm skipping that back left seat going forward. Oh. My. God.

^Good to know it's not just me haha.

That is a good point about the contact area being so narrow. If that contact point was a couple inches closer to my waist and further from my knees I think it would be way better. But where it lies right now is pretty close to halfway between my waist and knees and it feels like its trying to rip my upper leg in half everytime I leave the seat, which is pretty much the entire ride.

I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time.

Well, if I've learned on thing it's that 170-180 lbs is hockey playing weight. I'm 5'10 or so and 175. Although I'd probably drop to 150-160 lbs if I didn't try so hard to maintain what little bulk I have.