TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Twisted Timbers packs a SERIOUS PUNCH! I’ve never experienced a barrel roll drop and it’s the most ridiculously insane experience! Those three airtime hills after the overbank are KILLER!! The entire coaster is just awesome as a whole from beginning to end and is smooth as butter. It’s relentless. It may look innocent in the eyes, but that bad boy has the soul of an angry mad man!! Easily one of the best coasters at the park hands down, if not THE best coaster in the park. I305 was my top favorite, but TT knocked him down a notch.

I rode late last night and it seemed to be running as intended. The last tiny bump still had air just that bit less forceful that said the end. Liked it better than Wicked Cyclone my only other RMC, just being a bit faster more often made it seem to run better.

The cutback was very smooth and less awkward than WC's quickie stall. Haven't decided how stall-like it is yet. The big overbank looks ridiculously huge and tall.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of butthurt from some of these people in a hobby that's supposed to be about having fun.

It's been a few years since I've been to Kings Dominion. It isn't happening this year, but it'll definitely be a priority next year!!

The themeing looks pretty good on this! I love that Cedar Fair is starting to do a little more themeing on their coasters. I hope they continue with the pattern of having a theme along the lines of a creepy place that was abandoned for supernatural causes. I hope they bring something like that to Missouri's Worlds of Fun.....

Twisted Timbers packs a SERIOUS PUNCH! I’ve never experienced a barrel roll drop and it’s the most ridiculously insane experience! Those three airtime hills after the overbank are KILLER!! The entire coaster is just awesome as a whole from beginning to end and is smooth as butter. It’s relentless. It may look innocent in the eyes, but that bad boy has the soul of an angry mad man!! Easily one of the best coasters at the park hands down, if not THE best coaster in the park. I305 was my top favorite, but TT knocked him down a notch.

This pleases me!

Can't wait to read where people put this in that 'rank the RMC' thread.

Rode it twice, once in the last car and once in the second car. For me this is a closer to the front ride. The three airtime hills back to back were a highlight and the drops before and after the photo spot were pretty crazy!

IMG_20180324_122809_357.thumb.jpg.f19c2e8f9246ed08021d312208aa060b.jpg

IMG_20180324_1200473.thumb.jpg.352f8a408222c0f4344c5ab42ad53393.jpg

IMG_20180324_1215395.thumb.jpg.15d648bafe93f100fddb327dcde8a443.jpg

Wow - this looks like a ton of fun (like I had any doubts, lol)!

I hope to get down there to ride it this year, but we'll see.

Thanks to all that have posted trip reports so far and to RMC for the awesome POV footage!

Here’s some photos from my trip to the park today

Great report! (Also realized I made a cameo in the second row of picture #14. ) Great coaster as well - the airtime combined with the exceptionally smooth ride easily puts this one in my top ten all-time. I can't wait for the summer passholder ERT to really stack up those re-rides!

Speed - 7/10. Who cares? That's not the point of this ride, although the first drop and its immediate successors are notably faster than Hurler's. Even in the cold weather, TT maintained a decent pace for the entire ride.

Intensity - 9/10. Quick, smooth turns that keep you on your toes without giving you a headache. Ejector airtime falls *just* short of the very best like Skyrush, Maverick, and Intimidator 305, but considering the scale of this ride, that's impressive.

Smoothness - 10/10. Wow. This is coming from someone who thinks Fury is a bit rough, for comparison's sake.

Duration - 7/10. This coaster, like KD's other flagships, tends to be on the shorter side at about a minute and a half, but given that every second not spent on the lift hill or the brake run is consumed by an exciting element of some variety, I would be hard-pressed to deduct additional points for the ride time.

Overall - 9.5/10.

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.ef0d5460029a613377adfebeeba57f5f.JPG

Waiting for the queue to open - and absolutely worth the wait!

Miscellaneous - Yes, the lockers are real, but if you really don't want to pay the two dollars, they can be easily avoided by leaving unnecessary items in your car or in a zippered pocket while on the ride. The loose article policy also now requires that you put all hats and glasses not secured with an athletic strap in a pocket or locker. There are even more season pass drink-refill stations across the park, with one about every 100 yards in every direction. As usual, the upcharge Skycoaster and go-karts were free, which are great perks for passholders. Food prices are about the same at $16 per meal, although the Gold Pass meal and drink passes (a soda every 15 minutes and meals twice a day, separated by 3 hours) come out to about $135 with taxes and fees. Meal pass now includes Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, and Boardwalk Fries in addition to the park's in-house restaurants. Looks like this season will be another great one at KD!

Rocky Mountain shared our video post on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1613095612060886&id=154373424599786

If everyone could write something in support of them using TPR's video we would greatly appreciate it since all the angry coaster enthusiasts & haters are piling on the idiocracy. Thanks!

I got walked.....Oh well at least the three rides on i305 made up for it. Back to the gym....

sorry to hear that. . I know you were concerned about that.

but you got a great consolation prize, and you have the whole summer to keep working towards the goal!

I've got some work to do too...

Not only did I get denied on Twisted Timbers but for the first time in my life I got denied on I305.

^Sorry to hear that that is a pretty brutal denial. All we can do is use it as motivation to better ourselves and the day Twisted Timbers dispatches with me on board will be very rewarding. I was way too happy to ride I305 again after I was denied a couple years back.

Guys guys guys... This ride is incredible. Had a fantastic day at the park and now we're getting drunk at some brewery in Williamsburg. Rode all over the train. Lord Jesus thank you for fast lane. It's a winner. People saying its sluggish or boring or whatever are dull sh*theads that have no place in this hobby.

One lady gave her opinion on instagram in the morning (which she did say may be weather related and revised later when it warmed up). Do so many people here have to trip over their shoes to call her stupid?

Ride is fantastic by the way.

One lady gave her opinion on instagram in the morning (which she did say may be weather related and revised later when it warmed up). Do so many people here have to trip over their shoes to call her stupid?

Ride is fantastic by the way.

One guy on another forum said he rode the first train of the day and as of now Twisted Timbers is weak.

Uhhh. THE FIRST TRAIN OF THE DAY IN 40 DEGREE WEATHER. *facepalm* Good grief.

eiffeltowerKD.thumb.jpg.dd044f9b169bb5bdd6623d07edb7287e.jpg

Obligatory opening shot!

On Friday, Theme Park Review was invited to be one of the first media outlets to preview Twisted Timbers, the first RMC coaster in the Mid Atlantic! The opening ceremony kicked off about 10:20 am, in almost laughably cold temperatures; but that definitely did not dampen spirits. This was personally my first RMC coaster, so a lot of expectations going in, and it did not disappoint in the least! The opening ceremony was a little brief, most likely due to rescheduling from the freak late March snow storm the area had just received prior. However, the park's GM, VP of development, and communications director all gave great remarks, describing the theming and process behind transforming Hurler into Twisted Timbers. They also showed a really cool time lapse video of construction from beginning to end, as well as a promo video from Rocky Mountain Construction, showing various video shots from the project.

As for the ride itself, the theming for the queue and station are very well done. You really do feel like you are stepping back in time, to an old orchard and farm from the early 20th century. Once in the station, getting the first look at the trains, I absolutely loved the classic car look! So well done! A quick word, this ride has a pretty strict no loose articles policy, so be mindful. Remember, it's for your safety, despite the many complaints I overheard.

Anyway, the ride itself; absolutely insane, from beginning to end. The barrel roll first drop takes your breath away, and you don't really catch it again until the final brakes. I loved the three outbound airtime hills, they are very intense! My thighs still hurt a couple days later! The cutback that follows was my personal favorite part. Such a unique inversion, and having only a lap bar you really feel like you are out of control. The trick track next was strange at first, but it grew on me as it still has loads of airtime. The final barrel roll is just icing on the cake.

Overall, not a single complaint. Such a great coaster, and an absolute home run for Kings Dominion! This is such a incredible addition to their already stellar line up of world class coasters. Also, a huge shout out to Rocky Mountain Construction, for once again, building something beyond expectation! Here are some shots from the day...

TTOC3.thumb.jpg.39cd7b70142aacbc6f7bd2ef5fb6f342.jpg

Opening ceremony time!

TTOC2.thumb.jpg.751373f8eeac376e78c5c5af6ddaee1a.jpg

TTOC1.thumb.jpg.cd03a1471f39254187727e2d5706f382.jpg

TThill.thumb.jpg.9a1938a1dde181c236c9936245a59a2a.jpg

TT1.thumb.jpg.d5b5cb7240fa50da6d0a283e2b2ac8da.jpg

It's ride time!!

TT2.thumb.jpg.1cef0f2c05a799cb2fd794ecabc34b64.jpg

TT3.thumb.jpg.254642c54f734ba2252326453bdb74b2.jpg

That barrel roll is absolutely insane!!!

TTstation1.thumb.jpg.5091ed59f149842cdfe479c0f03c90ed.jpg

TTgreen.thumb.jpg.ec0ab7c4ce4f4e51ae0bfb7332f30ca9.jpg

Green train, carrying the day's ride cam operation!

TTblue.thumb.jpg.ef7a2e4a1f1d77c7224a07d6df3f78d0.jpg

TTstation2.thumb.jpg.16d6c2a96e53bf849a5722e64efcdf7d.jpg

Still love this logo, fits the ride perfectly!

TThoodie.thumb.jpg.5f69befd8fe8b6fad117d02c2abb949a.jpg

Some pretty cool hoodies and tshirts available in the Twist N Shop behind Apple Zapple...

TTshirts.thumb.jpg.d3a668a678dc588a0c77e3c5a9031d12.jpg

TTdrop.thumb.jpg.e36bc103ed9ff4190b3785e5872a505b.jpg

TTexit.thumb.jpg.7917d13d8ab4d0265091ccceeb1d5cdd.jpg

TTcutback.thumb.jpg.39bfcc111872fe3323d95ec1f01a3d3c.jpg

Could not get a good shot beyond the fence, but that cutback was freaking insane!!!

TTfirstturn.thumb.jpg.668c6cd5f03d4364e3cb71973111197a.jpg

TTsign.thumb.jpg.9956fd93ce17be5bf2b50e5dc4152678.jpg

Love the classic billboard feel of the sign!

finalfountain.thumb.jpg.66a9b2b3268a70b9e8dc858a5cc08ee0.jpg

One final shot of the main fountain; Thank you again Kings Dominion and Rocky Mountain Construction for not only an amazing coaster, but a wonderful launch event!

Edited by robbalvey

Guys guys guys... This ride is incredible. Had a fantastic day at the park and now we're getting drunk at some brewery in Williamsburg. Rode all over the train. Lord Jesus thank you for fast lane. It's a winner. People saying its sluggish or boring or whatever are dull sh*theads that have no place in this hobby.

Awesome to hear, where does fast lane put you into the queue? I got an all season fast lane plus this year and can't wait to get down there to use it.

I'm not nearly as enamored with RMC as most are around these parts, but this one looks great — especially those back-to-back airtime hills. It seems like RMC has gone with a design that leans more toward a traditional coaster design rather than a bucking-bronco twisted-track kind of thing. It looks like the queue gets up close to the track as well.

I probably won't have a full opening weekend trip report coming since my phone has decided to sh*t itself in spectacular fashion (lol) and I'm lazy and I'd rather let Boldikus write it anyway but I wanted to give a few quick thoughts...

Twisted Timbers is absolute bullsh*t in the best way possible. We rode first thing in the morning and loved it, but it improved dramatically by the end of the night (even though it was already great). By the end of the night I was convinced it was trying to throw everyone in the train into the Chesapeake bay.

For all the people saying that "Hurler wasn't conducive to a good RMC layout" or whatever, let me be the first to say... "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

A lot of people are going to jump to trying to figure out how this ranks compared to the other RMCs and to I305. Honestly, I don't really have any interest in trying to figure that out and I suck at ranking coasters but this ride can hold it's own against any of them.

The fact that you can now have a conversation about the best coaster at Kings Dominion since it's so tough to pick a favorite speaks volumes about how good this ride is. I never thought I'd see the day where I would even hesitate to answer that question.

Also, the park in general was a blast. Despite the fact that it was buried in snow just a few days prior, all major rides were up and running aside from Drop Tower. Thanks to Kings Domion for such an awesome day! It was great running into people like JRice, ElToroRyan and Password too!

Oh and one final reminder...

IMG_9090.thumb.JPG.4245a732b5ac04f68f9e671b6f2a272a.JPG

... still only the second best ride in the park themed to Lumber. And yes, everyone bailed on this ride but I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.