TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

In today's email, I received the newest Six Flags Magic Mountain Park Announcements (March 21-April 8). The following for Apocalypse was in the email. Why are they promoting the special effects (fog and fire) that no longer work? LOL

They have to compete with Wicker Man at Alton Towers. Otherwise people aren't going to care about riding Apocalypse anymore, since Wicker Man does the exact same thing but better.

I remember not too long ago (about a year), I was doing one of those online guest surveys they send out. In the survey, they mentioned rides such as Terminator: Salvation, Atom Smasher, and Grinder Gearworks. In the final section where I could post additional comments, I wrote, "It's tough to take your survey seriously when you don't know the names of your own rides."

I would bet good money that nobody on the marketing team is even aware that the fireball on Apocalypse hasn't worked in a few years.

Marketing for the park is just baffling to me most of the time...

Marketing was too busy coming up with the worst flat ride name possible.

In today's email, I received the newest Six Flags Magic Mountain Park Announcements (March 21-April 8). The following for Apocalypse was in the email. Why are they promoting the special effects (fog and fire) that no longer work? LOL

It’s horrendous photoshop jobs like this that remind me of the happiness Six Flags provides in so many different ways. Thanks for the laughs! I hope some unsuspecting person out there actually believes this wooden ride gets torched with impossibly close flames when you fly by lol.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has sent us a press release announcing the debut of DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR, which will soft open tomorrow starting at noon with its official opening on Monday!

1954825517_DropofDoomVRlogo.thumb.jpg.f7a46a10bc87a43a2205d0fc8e9a4e46.jpg

Six Flags Magic Mountain—in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, on behalf of DC Entertainment—today announced a new, extreme virtual reality experience coming to one of the world’s tallest and fastest drop tower rides. For a limited time, guests can experience the new DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR. Thrill-seekers will don special VR headsets to view the action as SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN battle their nemesis, LEX LUTHOR, while plunging 400 feet at speeds up to 85 mph. DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR is slated to open to the public today.

“As the world leader in ride innovation, Six Flags is taking virtual reality to the next level by leveraging the unique thrill of one of the world’s tallest drop towers and adding an epic virtual battle of good versus evil,” stated Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President, Neal Thurman. “Combining the most iconic DC Super Heroes, Wonder Woman and Superman, with state-of-the-art technology, DC Super Heroes Drop of Doom VR delivers an awe-inspiring new thrill for spring 2018.”

When anxious riders buckle into their floorless seats and strap on their VR headsets, they are immersed into a 360-degree virtual world where they are unwittingly invited by DC Super-Villain, Lex Luthor, to test the newest LexCorp levitation technology. Among the highlights of this intense, interactive storyline:

• Lex Luthor levitates riders with his anti-gravity ray gun and they begin to float upward, rising high above the skyscrapers;
  • Wonder Woman and Superman dash to the rescue and an epic battle ensues high in the air over Metropolis;
  • Wonder Woman clashes with an army of flying LexBots while Superman is in fierce combat with Lex Luthor; and
  • High in the sky, the battle spins out of control and riders fall a thousand feet—straight down, to the city streets far, far below.

Riders must be at least 48” tall to ride DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR, and at least 13 years old to experience VR. Six Flags Magic Mountain launched their very first VR coaster experience in 2016 on The New Revolution.

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2018 Season Passes and Memberships are currently on sale. Members can now enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise purchases all season long. Members also receive skip-the-line passes, sneak previews, and extended ride times on some of their favorite rides and attractions.

1228713519_DropOfDoomVR-keyart.thumb.jpg.9f4d605dd78be29ecbba1bb8959db6ac.jpg

1672441389_ScreenShot2018-03-23at9_22_12PM.thumb.png.c1a89cc17061009e769c08934169c825.png

927967646_ScreenShot2018-03-23at9_22_36PM.thumb.png.f3d13bb61c80966c33c00b6f82f29311.png

I think it's honestly a better fit than on Revolution. I had hopes that the content would look a bit better than the Revolution content and it does look a bit better based on the sneak peak.

My biggest problem with the whole VR thing (besides the slow load/unload) is the crappy content Six Flags keeps putting on these things. I get it, mobile phones do not have the horsepower to drive good looking VR content... But especially for Drop of Doom it could be prerendered, as in the phone is playing back a high quality animated movie rather then trying to render content then and there, and I would be sooooo much more into it. I have the same gripe with Justice League, it's a good ride, but if that content didn't look like a PS2 game I'd like it a lot more.

Maybe I'm just a snob and really like higher quality animation, but the Revolution stuff was rough. However I really do think that it's a much better fit on Drop of Doom, if not purely for the easier load and unload.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has sent us a press release announcing the debut of DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR, which will soft open tomorrow starting at noon with its official opening on Monday!

[*]Lex Luthor levitates riders with his anti-gravity ray gun and they begin to float upward, rising high above the skyscrapers;

[*]Wonder Woman and Superman dash to the rescue and an epic battle ensues high in the air over Metropolis;

[*]Wonder Woman clashes with an army of flying LexBots while Superman is in fierce combat with Lex Luthor; and

[*]High in the sky, the battle spins out of control and riders fall a thousand feet—straight down, to the city streets far, far below.

Riders must be at least 48” tall to ride DC SUPER HEROES Drop of Doom VR, and at least 13 years old to experience VR. Six Flags Magic Mountain launched their very first VR coaster experience in 2016 on The New Revolution.

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2018 Season Passes and Memberships are currently on sale. Members can now enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise purchases all season long. Members also receive skip-the-line passes, sneak previews, and extended ride times on some of their favorite rides and attractions.

This could work if they limit the VR to one side (hopefully the westward facing side since the eastward facing side has the more intense view) and have the other side non VR so it could load as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the knee jerk reaction to this will automatically be negative, but for me this will work MUCH better on a drop ride that's losing it's popularity, than a classic coaster like Revolution.

SF over Georgia did something similar at the start of the 2017 season, adding VR to their Acrophobia drop tower, with the experience named simply 'Drop of Doom'. There were no DC heroes, just giant mutant spiders which riders would shoot before the climaxing drop. The initial feedback on the announcement was negative but riders seemed to like VR on this style of ride better as there was no shaking or jolting side to side like on a coaster.

The problems typical of any VR experience (slow loading, etc) were prevalent though. For those reasons I am not a big fan of VR overlays on any ride.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're taking VR off Revolution. On the other, what on earth are these people thinking? One of Lex Luthor's key features is the view and the elevation. I mean, I get it from a marketing perspective and all, but whoever's making these decisions should be forced to wear those stupid headsets M-F, 9-5 as punishment. I hope it's just on one side, but you know it'll be both and will most likely decimate operations.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're taking VR off Revolution. On the other, what on earth are these people thinking? One of Lex Luthor's key features is the view and the elevation. I mean, I get it from a marketing perspective and all, but whoever's making these decisions should be forced to wear those stupid headsets M-F, 9-5 as punishment. I hope it's just on one side, but you know it'll be both and will most likely decimate operations.

People aren't buying tickets to see a nice view. Like you said, it's a marketing thing. It's a pretty smart marketing thing too as they're using the DC brand and the overlay itself isn't capital intensive. What better way to breathe new life into an attraction? Think of it as a seasonal overlay that many parks do (just with slowed down operations).

This doesn't mean that it will actually be good or that we'll like it, but they were definitely thinking, and it's pretty smart thinking honestly.