Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 177 - Animal Kingdom's 20th Anniversary Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thr

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 am

Walt Disney World has sent us a press release announcing details for the celebration of the 20th anniversary of Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Disney’s Animal Kingdom will mark its 20th anniversary on Earth Day, April 22, with more wild adventures than ever before – kicking off spring and setting the stage for an incredible summer filled with all-new events and experiences at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Commemorating the milestone year, the 500-acre adventure park will offer animal encounters, family-friendly activities, specialty desserts and more during an expanded Party for the Planet celebration April 22-May 5.

Over the two-week “Party for the Planet celebration, guests can attend conservation talks by animal-care experts and participate in enhanced interactions with some of the more than 2,000 animals that make their home at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums-accredited park.

Rafiki’s Planet Watch will take center stage for the year-long 20th anniversary. It’s home to fun educational exhibits and activities that help create awareness of animal issues. During the 20th anniversary, Rafiki’s Planet Watch will offer backstage experiences with experts where guests can learn about animal nutrition, visit the veterinary hospital and hear how Disney promotes global wildlife conservation.

Guests can also commemorate their visits to the theme park with special photo opportunities. They can step into an oversized picture frame celebrating the park’s 20th anniversary. Other photo frames support Disney’s “Reverse the Decline,” an initiative created to help protect 10 threatened animal species. One recent success of the program was the birth of two critically endangered Sumatran Tiger Cubs at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Just for kids is the chance to earn a limited-edition badge as part of the Wilderness Explorer program. The badge is one of many that youngsters can earn by completing fun activities throughout the park.

Party for the Planet will also include six different Tiffins Talks – themed dinners hosted by animal experts at Tiffins, the theme park’s signature, full-service restaurant. Watch the Disney Parks Blog for more information.

The 20th anniversary fun also includes a commemorative adventure guide, limited-edition merchandise, and a special-edition print created by renowned Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde. He will be available on April 22 from 1-4 p.m. to sign prints at Discovery Trading Company. Quantities are limited. For more information on Party for the Planet, visit Disneyworld.com/PartyforthePlanet.

Here are other experiences and adventures rolling out in 2018 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom:

• April 22 will mark the debut of a brand-new show, UP! A Great Bird Adventure featuring Russell and Dug from the Disney•Pixar animated comedy-adventure film “UP.” The show will give guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his fuzzy friend Dug in a new adventure that includes encounters with exotic birds from around the world. This free-flying show will be performed multiple times daily.
  • A “dino-tastic” celebration with Donald and his friends will also premiere Memorial Day weekend in DinoLand, U.S.A. This dinosaur-themed party celebrates Donald Duck’s discovery that his bird ancestors were actually dinosaurs. DinoLand U.S.A. will feature colorful new décor and playful character greetings with rarely seen pals like Scrooge McDuck, Launchpad McQuack and more. A DJ-powered dance party will mix tunes from the truck-o-saurus stage, capping the nighttime festivities.
  • Memorial Day 2018 commemorates the one-year anniversary of Pandora – The World of Avatar. Here, travelers are transported to a mystical world of floating mountains, bioluminescent rainforests and breathtaking new experiences. Inspired by the blockbuster film, AVATAR, the epic land invites guests to explore a glowing landscape, encounter a larger-than-life Na’vi Shaman of Songs and soar on the back of a banshee.
For more information about the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, visit DisneyWorld.com/AnimalKingdom.
Up Show Rendering.png
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:43 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:35 am

I can't wait. I never saw Flights of Wonder, but it seems like this would be right up my alley.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am

^KT *REALLY* loved Flights of Wonder so I'm hoping this is still really good and not 'dumbed down'.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Jeez, Pandora's one year anniversary already? What's going on? What is time? :omg:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby jray21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm

SharkTums wrote:^KT *REALLY* loved Flights of Wonder so I'm hoping this is still really good and not 'dumbed down'.

Yeah, I really liked Flights of Wonder as well. It definitely was dated, but I really hope this new show is just as good.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

There's a possibility I might make a day trip to the park as part of a large group on a late-April Saturday. I fully expect the park to be packed, and was wondering just how necessary the Magic Bands are to the utilization of fastpass? Or do I just need the MyDisneyExperience app? I'd use Robb's patent-pending end-of-the-day trick, but other trips I've taken with this group tend to arrive late/leave early and I want to get around the park without feeling rushed (even if it means I miss the Flight of Passage queue). Also, does Dinosaur have a single-rider line?
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 am

Just throwing it out here, but we are so hoping that eventually, through the (hopeful) success of the upcoming SkyLiner System,
happening between lodgings and various parks.... could a SkyLiner connection to Animal Kingdom be a Phase 2 possible kind of thing?

Our WDW touring plans are way far in advance, like Nov.of 2023 or 2024. But it never hurts to ask in advance. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:58 am

CaptainUnknown wrote: I fully expect the park to be packed, and was wondering just how necessary the Magic Bands are to the utilization of fastpass?

You need a physical RFID-enabled DTI card (which you pick up free at will call or at the entrance with a ticket barcode), or a magicband to check into your fastpasses. The App can only help with times.

Also, does Dinosaur have a single-rider line?

Nope. Everyone goes as a group through the pre-show. I'm 99 percent sure Everest is the only single rider queue here.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby trainplane3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am

Nrthwnd wrote:Just throwing it out here, but we are so hoping that eventually, through the (hopeful) success of the upcoming SkyLiner System,
happening between lodgings and various parks.... could a SkyLiner connection to Animal Kingdom be a Phase 2 possible kind of thing?

Our WDW touring plans are way far in advance, like Nov.of 2023 or 2024. But it never hurts to ask in advance. :wink:

Insiders have said that the plan for AK transportation is looking to be something else. Not monorail, not SkyLiner, not bus so people have been thinking some form of rail/light rail or a peoplemover style system. It would be odd if they didn't expand the SkyLiner system but who knows. They said the plans are pretty far off for AK transit.

I know I still want a walking path from AKL to AK.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:I'd use Robb's patent-pending end-of-the-day trick, but other trips I've taken with this group tend to arrive late/leave early and I want to get around the park without feeling rushed (even if it means I miss the Flight of Passage queue). Also, does Dinosaur have a single-rider line?

If you have your tickets already link it to an account ASAP and check the app 30 days out (set a reminder in your phone). If you're in a solo fastpass group and don't care if you ride with anyone you might get Flight of Passage. Refresh the app constantly every time you have a free moment for that entire 30 day period. If something comes up and you don't like the time, take it anyway and then modify it using the same technique of refreshing CONSTANTLY for weeks on end if you have to. Flight of Passage most likely won't be available right away even 30 days out, so take Navi River Journey as a backup and try to change that to get Flight of Passage. Don't hold out on selecting River Journey because that will fill up too.

If you get Flight of Passage and schedule your other Fastpasses early, there's a semi decent chance you can reserve River Journey in the park for a party of 1 if you refresh enough. It's no guarantee, but it's possible. You can probably get Dinousar day-of if you refresh enough too.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!